Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Default Swinging the Great Lakes

An interesting article written by Nick Pionessa on Swinging for Great Lakes Steelhead for Hatches Magazine. Look at the date........Fall 2008. I was still dragging my knuckles back then....but the spark was there. Worth a look.

http://hatchesmagazine.com/magazine/pdf/Great.pdf

He's a tube fly guy...so I know Ard will read it. Here's another for you Ard so you can add some traditional flair to those monkey flies in your tube fly Plano box....

Burned Schlappen Spey by Nick Pionessa | | Hatches Fly Tying Magazine

Cheers all....
    Last edited by flytie09; 01-14-2020 at 11:26 PM.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

Blog Entries

Default Re: Swinging the Great Lakes

That burnt schlappen fly sure came out pretty and half dozen years ago I'd have been at the vise already but ….. It's been a while since I made a body, meaning tinsel ribbing - palmered hackle and the works. I've become a slacker but a slacker who gets flies that have that in the water look that fish like. I may be too far gone Mike but I appreciate all your efforts

I will be posting some new stuff soon as I get tying for the coming spring & summer fishing.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and Shenandoah Rivers, Exploring NY and PNW rivers

Quote Originally Posted by flytie09 View Post
    An interesting article written by Nick Pionessa on Swinging for Great Lakes Steelhead for Hatches Magazine. Look at the date........Fall 2008. I was still dragging my knuckles back then....but the spark was there. Worth a look.

http://hatchesmagazine.com/magazine/pdf/Great.pdf

He's a tube fly guy...so I know Ard will read it. Here's another for you Ard so you can add some traditional flair to those monkey flies in your tube fly Plano box....

Burned Schlappen Spey by Nick Pionessa | | Hatches Fly Tying Magazine

Cheers all....
    That is a really cool looking fly
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

That was also long before I started the spey game as well... I love when people try to tell me what colour bead or bags they are taking
    Danny