Buying Tenkara Amago, traditional line question

runningfish

Reaction score
I finally put the Tenkara Amago in the shopping basket but couldn't complete the purchase since I didn't know what length of the traditional line that I should get.
And is 4.5 level line the correct selection for the Amago?

thank you

shimloom

Reaction score
Nice rod, thinking about getting one myself. At 13.6 it's a nice length. Not sure on the line for it. If you can't get an answer here try the Tenkara USA site.

Craig

williamhj

Reaction score
I think they recommend the 4.5 for it, but I haven't used it to know. Personally I'd start there and could always order a couple others to try and perhaps use under different conditions.

runningfish

Reaction score
I called Tenkara USA and was told that since the Amago is 13.5FT I should get the 13.5FT traditional tenkara leader. I also bought the Pink 4.5 Level line. All for less than $200 before tax. It makes me realized how economical and simple Tenkara is and no wonder so many traditional fly fishermen converted to Tenkara.

christianfishn

Reaction score
Your line length can vary. I personally run a level line the length of my rod for general purpose. With a 12' Iwana I would run a 12' line to start off, with a 4ft tippet you have a 16' line plus the 12' of the rod. Soooo for you Amago It would be a good Idea to start with a 13-14' 4.5 line. with 4ft of tippet you'll have an 18' line plus the rod.Perfect for moderate to large rivers streams etc and wonderful for lakes and ponds :) great choice!