First day out with new rod

spinsheet

Reaction score
I finally got out today and tried out my new rod. Reality did not quite match expectations but expectations were probably a lot higher than they should have been. I do that a lot.

Had some problems with the casting. My level line was going further than my fly. I seemed to be piling line on the water with my fly only about 8' away from me. I kept altering my cast, less power, more power, 12 - 10, 12 - 9, ect. Sometimes my cast was perfect and I would try and do exactly the same thing and then piled line on the water. This will take a bit of work. Admittedly, the wind was heavier than ideal, not horrible, but enough to even bother me with my western rig.

I did find I would actually cause drag on my fly trying to get the line out of the water. I assume this will simply take time to get straight. I sometimes got some very good drifts and other times I made the fly look like a speedboat. Can't expect to get it all right first time out.

I did manage to get two takes on my dry. One caught me completely off guard and I simply missed setting the hook. On the other one I was simply late with the hook set, it happens. I was simply happy that I at least tricked two trout into at least tasting my fly. That in itself is success on this river.

Once the sun started going down the trico spinners were hitting the water and at times it looked like the water was boiling with all the rising trout. As luck would have it I had no spinner flies, only a few tenkara dries and some elk hair caddises. They were simply ignored. I saw about four other fly fishers on the river and none had any spinners and the general consensus was that the trout were ignoring anything that did not look like a spinner. Whether this was true or not at least it made us all feel better. I'll make sure to have some spinner patterns next time to test this theory.

I actually saw one other guy on the water with a tenkara rod and it was his first time using one. He was also new to fly fishing in general and had yet to get waders so he was stuck fishing from shore. He actually spent more time hiking around in the woods with his girlfriend than with fishing so I wasn't really surprised when he didn't have much luck. A few other fishermen noticed my rod and were rather curious about it. I showed it to them and they were actually a bit impressed. One of them mentioned that he had heard of those Japanese rods but this was the first time he had seem one. We all chatted a bit and a good time was had by all.

I caught nothing, got two strikes, made some friends, and only lost one fly to the nefarious tree fish, so all in all it was a successful day. There were those two fish that actually liked my fly. I'm going back to find them tomorrow.

pszy22

Reaction score
I finally got out today and tried out my new rod. Reality did not quite match expectations but expectations were probably a lot higher than they should have been. I do that a lot.

Had some problems with the casting. My level line was going further than my fly. I seemed to be piling line on the water with my fly only about 8' away from me.
To be honest, most folks I talk talk are pleasantly surprised when giving tenkara a try, don't lower your expectations just yet.

Regarding casing problem. It could be due to your technique. At least to me, it's a different feel vs. casting a reeled rod. I'm not sure I can explain it, but as with most things tenkara, less is more. Don't over force things, and slow down you casting cycle.

THe fact that your line is going farther than your fly might indicate a problem transferring energy from your line to your leader and in turn, to your fly. Might want to shorten up your leader a bit, see if that helps.

One other thing that comes to mind. What kind of fly are you casting. You want to avoid using flies that are too large, or maybe more important, too wind resistant.

I think you'll find once you get things figured out, your expectations will be met.

have fun,

spinsheet

Reaction score
I was fishing a size 18 CDC caddis and I also tried a size 12 wet hackle tenkara fly. I'm sure it was me and not the fly. I just need to slow down a bit I'm sure. I've probably got some western style habits to break.

All in all though I feel it was a good day and I look forward to getting out there again.

jrob

Reaction score
Most likely it was the wind causing the most problems. I picked up Tenkara this year and have not looked back. I am one of those guys who sold all of his western style gear and have gone straight tenkara. Lol don't give up.

spinsheet

Reaction score
Not sure I'll ever sell all my other western gear, I still want to take on the smallies in the Potomac and hit the occasional bass pond but I do think tenkara might turn into my main style of fly fishing one day. I do like the simplicity of it.

I doubt I'll ever be a one fly kinda guy though. Don't want to get THAT simple. I've invested too much in fly tying material and I enjoy it too much to not tie complex patterns. Plus I like my dries. The fish like them too, I see them staring at them all the time as they float past. I can imagine them discussing with each other how much better my tying is getting. Then they give me a knowing wink and move on the eating real food. Gotta love those guys...

jrob

Reaction score
I have many different rods for different waters/species. The Keiryu style rods offered on Tenkarabums site will handle larger fish and even carp. Great fun! I have caught many bass and some larger trout. Don't discount the technique for larger fish with the right rod. So much fun. I find the rods will wear out a good size fish fairly quickly.

spinsheet

Reaction score
I've yet to even look at the Keiryu rods. I think I see another rod soon to me in my collection...

How would those rods do fishing clousers and the like for smallies on bigger rivers? Seems like it would be tough to fish a streamer with a rod where you can't strip in line like you can with western gear. Something I'm definitely going to have to look into though.

tcorfey

Reaction score
With Tenkara definitely less is more but something that might help you in your casting is to try using a furled leader and tippet. The furled leader adds mass which makes it easier to cast than a straight level mono line. Another idea that may be frowned upon but it worked was when my son was having problems with the Tenkara rod I put 4' of 2 weight fly line on the rod and level line to the tippet. This seemed to help him roll the line out easier and then we just shortened the 2wt fly line as he got better until he did not need it anymore.

pszy22

Reaction score
With Tenkara definitely less is more but something that might help you in your casting is to try using a furled leader and tippet. The furled leader adds mass which makes it easier to cast than a straight level mono line. .
That's a good point. Folks seem to quickly develop a preference when it comes down to choosing between using a tapered furled vs. a single strand line. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. There is no right answer. My usual advice to folks when they ask which one to use - just pick one. If you like the way it fishes, great! If not, try the other one.

have fun,

spinsheet

Reaction score
I've heard about the furled line being easier to cast but I've also heard it's more difficult to keep off of the water because of its weight. I've also heard that if you're having issues casting a level line but not a furled line then you're doing something wrong with your cast. I would prefer to get my technique down and correct whatever it is I'm doing wrong. I'm sure a furled line has its place but I would be hesitant to use it simply to cover up poor technique. Just a thought, I'm completely new to tenkara. I'm probably just overloading the cast as I'm used to casting western style and old habits die hard.

I must say though that when I did get that near perfect cast and a drag free drift it was a great feeling. I thoroughly enjoyed the simplicity of tenkara when I was out there the first time. Once I get the kinks worked out I can see this becoming my main style of fishing.

scorpion1971

Reaction score
It sounds like your casting stroke is too slow. Speed up you stroke and make sure you come to a complete stop. It also helps to use more wrist action when casting a tenkara rod.

vanwagw

Reaction score

Had some problems with the casting. My level line was going further than my fly. I seemed to be piling line on the water with my fly only about 8' away from me. I kept altering my cast, less power, more power, 12 - 10, 12 - 9, ect. Sometimes my cast was perfect and I would try and do exactly the same thing and then piled line on the water. This will take a bit of work. Admittedly, the wind was heavier than ideal, not horrible, but enough to even bother me with my western rig.

I did find I would actually cause drag on my fly trying to get the line out of the water. I assume this will simply take time to get straight. I sometimes got some very good drifts and other times I made the fly look like a speedboat. Can't expect to get it all right first time out.

I did manage to get two takes on my dry. One caught me completely off guard and I simply missed setting the hook. On the other one I was simply late with the hook set, it happens. I was simply happy that I at least tricked two trout into at least tasting my fly. That in itself is success on this river.

Once the sun started going down the trico spinners were hitting the water and at times it looked like the water was boiling with all the rising trout. As luck would have it I had no spinner flies, only a few tenkara dries and some elk hair caddises. They were simply ignored. I saw about four other fly fishers on the river and none had any spinners and the general consensus was that the trout were ignoring anything that did not look like a spinner. Whether this was true or not at least it made us all feel better. I'll make sure to have some spinner patterns next time to test this theory.

I actually saw one other guy on the water with a tenkara rod and it was his first time using one. He was also new to fly fishing in general and had yet to get waders so he was stuck fishing from shore. He actually spent more time hiking around in the woods with his girlfriend than with fishing so I wasn't really surprised when he didn't have much luck. A few other fishermen noticed my rod and were rather curious about it. I showed it to them and they were actually a bit impressed. One of them mentioned that he had heard of those Japanese rods but this was the first time he had seem one. We all chatted a bit and a good time was had by all.

I caught nothing, got two strikes, made some friends, and only lost one fly to the nefarious tree fish, so all in all it was a successful day. There were those two fish that actually liked my fly. I'm going back to find them tomorrow.
thanks for sharing