Lost plug or cap = cheap easy replacement

tcorfey

Reaction score
So i have over time lost several Tenkara rod plugs, what sits on the end to keep the rod sections from sliding out on their own.

Recently had an idea that works great and was really easy.

I stacked flat faucet washers on a size 10 x 1" screw with a nylok nut. It works great.

At the very end I have an oversize washer so the plug does not fall in to the tube and then washers that slide inside the tube for the rest. By tightening the nylok nut I can expand the washers to lightly grip the tube without expanding and cracking the graphite.

Because they are rubber they will not expand on their own (as cork and wood will swell) these are cheap to make and work very well.

You can also tie some braid below the screw head and attach a snap to the other end of the braid and then be able to clip the plug to your lanyard while fishing.

pszy22

Reaction score
If you haven't yet lost the plug for your tenkara rod, you will. It's just a matter of time. I've posted several options for replacement that all work well -

Tenkara DIY - Tenkara Fly Fishing

To be honest, often times the home made replacements work better than the factory originals.

lightbender

Reaction score
I use the nipple from a baby bottle, works great, just cut off the last 3/4 inch or so.
Also, there are "thread protectors" used in the painting and plating business that are used to protect , well, threads on bolts or screws. Cost like a penny each, come in all sorts of sizes. They are a heavy rubber and come in bright colors, too.
I always carry latex gloves with me, and in a pinch, one of the fingers can be used if you wrap a rubber band around it.