Kids and Tenkara Fishing, short film

msteudel

Reaction score
I'm sure lots of you like to fish with your kids, I certainly do. I do a lot of my fishing with them in the summer at a small lake in Pennsylvania, US. We'll often go out in a canoe and throw plastic worms for bass and pickerel. But one of my favorite activities is watching my older daughter fish with her Tenkara rod (a Japanese style of fly fishing). It's been really fun to watch her over the last 2 years become more and more confident and independent in her fishing. This last summer I wanted to make a short film about her fishing. So the two of us put this together. I entered it in the RIO Fly Fishing Film Awards, so take a look at all the entries and give someone a vote! Hope you enjoy it!

RIO Amateur Fly Fishing Film Award

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone has to be the Grintch and I'll do it here.

#1: It would be nice if the poster were an active member and not just seeking support of our long standing membership for some sort of gain.
#2: I tried to watch the video and was prompted to watch a Rio promotional video first. We are not sponsored by Rio.

Sorry but these things get old,

I did however Vote for your daughter, Merry Christmas from Ard :)

Last edited:

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Here's the direct link if anybody doesnt want to watch it through rio's site:

https://vimeo.com/181893656

But im happy to delete the post if its not appropriate.
If it was way out of bounds it would be gone already. It just gets old as Ard stated. Folks frequently do a forum "drive by" and ask for a vote, fill out a survey etc. Never to be heard from again. You're a member now. You found our Tenkara subforum so prove us wrong and contribute to it sometime after a trip. Introduce yourself, a few PICs and a short description.

msteudel

Reaction score
Thanks for the votes! Sorry it took me a bit to get back.

I live in Seattle and spend not enough of my time fishing. I tend to still mostly fish western but I do like to fish my TenkaraUSA ITO rod. It's pretty fun rod to fish. My daughter used to use a Kosansui 270 which we got from Tenkara Bum. It was a great little rod. So small, so much fun to use. When we were traveling in Glacier we used it a bunch on the small streams. The whole family would wade around and we'd just pass the rod around as we found new places to fish.

Most summers we head to PA and this is where my kids really love fishing. Lots of willing little panfish, bass, and pickerel. This is a picture of my older daughter catching a plate sized sunny:

More recently (and I did not tenkara fish) I went to Montana and fished the Missouri river, where I proceeded to catch my biggest trout to date and then proceeded to catch one even bigger the next day. You can see some of the pictures here:
https://msteudel.smugmug.com/Missouri-River

Thanks again for watching the film. I put a lot of time and effort creating it, writing the music, recording it, re-recording it when I edited the movie and had to resync the music (lessons learned there!), editing it, getting feedback, trying to get sort through various opinions and figure out which one I wanted to follow, that's always interesting.

Mark

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Does she still fish?
Absolutely. She started somewhere around age three. She never lost interest and even went to Alaska with me to fly fish last year. She just turned 20 years old. I remember her taking her girlfriends out baitfishing in her teen years. They were all afraid of touching worms and fish so she would play fishing guide. It was a hoot to watch. :)

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I was glad I encouraged it. Make no mistake she walks around with her face in a cell phone like every other young adult, but she appreciates nature and takes the time to enjoy it. Fishing, kayaking, hiking, nature photography etc. Your daughter may take a break from it, but she will very likely cherish the moments, and find some time to fish with Dad.

I'm glad you hung around the forum. I won't tell you that thousands of guys here Tenkara, but we have a number of guys that enjoy it and mix it in with their "standard" fly gear.

The underwater shots in your video were a great idea. It really adds to it. I saw some very nice bluegill down there.

msteudel

Reaction score
Same ... I like catching fish and I like using the right tools for the job. Sometimes that's the Tenkara rod sometimes it's the w. fly fishing gear.

msteudel

Reaction score
Just wanted to come back and let you all know that you guys helped us take December's first place. We put a little thank you video together. We also ended up asking RIO to donate two fly lines to Project Healing Waters, which they were game with.
[ame]https://youtu.be/lUHaNFo3xZI[/ame]

runningfish

Reaction score
Congratulation! What a great way to start her fishing "career".

I started to take my daughter fishing when she was 3, I basically just fished for the bluegills and she really enjoyed it. Now she is close to 6 and she knows how to reel in fish with spinning and baitcasting reels pretty well. I've already built her and her brother 2 fiberglass fly rods. and I'll put her in fly casting class this summer so she can start in the right way since she is a lefty and I am a righty. Her 2 years old little brother is already showing interests in fishing as he always volunteering himself to help spooling and unspooling my fly line from and to the reels.

anyway, congratulation again.

msteudel

Reaction score
Thank you! Look forward to getting my kids doing more fishing too. Both my daughters are left handed as well ... it didn't even cross my mind to try and teach them on their dominant side ....