Willow & Came tenkara rod

czob

Reaction score
Anyone else have one of these rods? 12' rod, 7:3 action. I would really love to know what others think about this rod!

angelo1987

Reaction score
No, personally I've never use that rod before.

If you are looking for a tenkara rod here are some other places you can look .

TenkaraBum
Tenkara USA
Zen Fly Fishing Gear
Three Rivers Tenkara

czob

Reaction score
No........I have this rod! Have had it for a couple of years. Just haven't seen any posts about this rod. It's one of my better tenkara rods. Just wondered what others thought of the rod?

jayr

Reaction score
Willow and Cane in general has a spotty past. At one time they sold primarily through eBay, although you could order direct. For years they talked of a web site, but really never got it going. I did just google them and it appears their web site has vastly improved, at least there's info and pricing on it.

For a while, they kind of vanished off of eBay but I think they may be back now. Specifically, their fiberglass rods were rather inexpensive and at least appeared to be a bargain. On some other fiberglass only boards, their rep was not too good. Again, that was a bit ago. You kind of got what you paid for. If I am not mistaken their rods were all imported, my guess was China if that matters.

I cannot speak for their Tenkara rods and possibly they are owned by a new company now? That would account for their re-emergence possibly.

patrick62

Reaction score
I think your rod is the same one sold on eBay and Amazon by Maxcatch. (At least the Willow and Cane website says so here: Tenkara - Willow and Cane)

I have the 13 foot version and I like it very much. I chuck big flies with it, two at a time sometimes, for bass. I am quite sure this is not standard operating procedure but it works.

With the long cork handle we joke that this is the spey Tenkara rod. It is a big stick, no question.

Here's the Maxcatch version: https://www.amazon.com/Maxcatch-Ten...d=1496106319&sr=8-1&keywords=maxcatch+tenkara

williamhj

Reaction score
I think your rod is the same one sold on eBay and Amazon by Maxcatch. (At least the Willow and Cane website says so here: Tenkara - Willow and Cane)

I have the 13 foot version and I like it very much. I chuck big flies with it, two at a time sometimes, for bass. I am quite sure this is not standard operating procedure but it works.

With the long cork handle we joke that this is the spey Tenkara rod. It is a big stick, no question.

Here's the Maxcatch version: https://www.amazon.com/Maxcatch-Ten...d=1496106319&sr=8-1&keywords=maxcatch+tenkara
Interesting. If they are the same model then the price difference is crazy. Just based on the pictures the grip on the Amazon Maxcatch seems better than the Willow and Cane... not sure how much to base off the picture.

patrick62

Reaction score
I managed to break mine -- on one of these giant carp that lurk on the Housatonic. These things are the size of a medium-sized dog. It took off into some rapids and that was that.

So I bought another one. $67 at the moment, via Amazon.

ponycarman

Reaction score
I managed to break mine -- on one of these giant carp that lurk on the Housatonic. These things are the size of a medium-sized dog. It took off into some rapids and that was that.

So I bought another one. $67 at the moment, via Amazon.
Did the rod perform well for you? I recently got one of their triple zoom rods. Also have another one coming. So far so good. Their prices seem to be a little lower if purchasing directly from their website. They post alot of sales on their facebook page and have readily given me coupon codes if I messaged them. They also have replacement tips available. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

patrick62

Reaction score
Did the rod perform well for you? I recently got one of their triple zoom rods. Also have another one coming. So far so good. Their prices seem to be a little lower if purchasing directly from their website. They post alot of sales on their facebook page and have readily given me coupon codes if I messaged them. They also have replacement tips available. :thumbsup:
Yes I like the rod very much. I thought about the zoom but I wanted to replace the 13 footer right away, which is why I went with Amazon.

Unfortunately it wasn't the tip that broke, it was two sections down.

With the replacement, I hooked another one of the damn things last night. This time, however, the scene was a long, deep pool, so Carl the Carp just put it in compound low and made for the opposite bank. After what seemed like an eternity but was probably five seconds, the tippet broke off at the tippet ring, which means Carl the Carp is wandering around with a big Wooly in his yap and about 10 feet of 1X tippet trailing behind. I hope the other fish don't make fun of him.

I bought an 8.5 foot 4 weight 4 piece fly rod from Maxcatch, with the idea that if it was crummy I could hand it off to the young cousins to throw poppers at panfish in the lake. But it is anything but crummy, and at some absurd price of $65 or $85 or something, I thought it worth the risk.

Once you buy something from them they start sending coupons and even freebies, things that have been returned for some reason. I got a perfectly good chest pack/back pack thing that I gave to yet another cousin who had the good sense to attend Colorado College, where kids are as likely to have a fly rod in the closet as a lacrosse stick.

ponycarman

Reaction score
Nice! So far I have been very satisfied with their stuff. My wishlist has gotten pretty big. Gonna give alot of their stuff a try as I can get it. Good stuff!

czob

Reaction score
Carl the Carp! I love it!
Thanks! Just treated the handle with some Truoil. It's the same closed length as my Willow and Cane tenkara rod. It has 7 sections, I have had this rod for a couple of years, but nevered liked the handle it had. I believe it was some type of heat shrink over some rolled paper with a string for some grip. I believe I paid about $10.00 for the rod, and another $3.50 for the 2 cork handle sctions.

Last edited: