Regular fly line

czob

Reaction score
I know no one else on here is cheap like me, and has a couple of those cheap carbon fiber telescopic carp rods. You know, the ones those cheapskates use as tenkara rods! Yes I have a couple of them. Well I have been trying different types of line on the cheap tenkara rods. (I know I may offend some by calling a carp rod, a tenkara rod). I have tried furled lines, mono lines, and fluorocarbon. Well, today I cut up a 5WF line I purchased on a auction site into 15' pieces. Used heat shrink to weld loops on both ends. Tied a piece of fly line backing to one end so I could use it for a girth hitch to the Lillian. Used a 5' piece of 4lb. mono as a leader and put on a fly. I took it to a river to see how it would cast. And to my surprise......It worked great! So now I have 5 new lines for tenkara fishing. The front portion of the fly line I didn't use as WF portion taper. And as the cheap guy I am. I got 5 tenkara lines for $8.00!

Last edited:

scotty macfly

Reaction score
That's not being cheap. That's what I call improvising. Good for you.

By the way, I have a few telescoping rods myself we use to catch sunfish and crappie. Nothing wrong with that.

I applaud you keeping it simple like you are. :clap:

tcorfey

Reaction score
That is how I got my son used to casting Tenkara. I just used the running line off an old fly line. It worked great for learning and for pan fish.

What you may want to consider is that one of the advantages of Tenkara in dry fly fishing is to keep as much of the line off the water as possible. This is much easier to do with light (I use 4lb) mono. But it does make it harder to cast when using light lines until you get used to it, especially in the wind.

Because the fly line is heavier then the mono if you keep the rod tip high it tends to go straight down to the water shortening your reach or if you keep the rod tip low the fly line sits on the water and gets influenced by the currents and causes drag.

Using light lines allows you to hold the line off the water which will increase your reach and reduce drag.

If you are using the rod to perform high stick nymphing the fly line should be fine pointing straight down to the water and you can use the fly line / Leader connection as an indicator.

Also the fly line works fine for still water where it is not affected by the current if it lies on the water.

Regards,

Tim C.

pszy22

Reaction score
The good news, tenkara rods can handle a fairly broad range of lines. You are using a relatively long rod to manipulate a fairly short length of string.

Last edited:

vanwagw

Reaction score
I know no one else on here is cheap like me, and has a couple of those cheap carbon fiber telescopic carp rods. You know, the ones those cheapskates use as tenkara rods! Yes I have a couple of them. Well I have been trying different types of line on the cheap tenkara rods. (I know I may offend some by calling a carp rod, a tenkara rod). I have tried furled lines, mono lines, and fluorocarbon. Well, today I cut up a 5WF line I purchased on a auction site into 15' pieces. Used heat shrink to weld loops on both ends. Tied a piece of fly line backing to one end so I could use it for a girth hitch to the Lillian. Used a 5' piece of 4lb. mono as a leader and put on a fly. I took it to a river to see how it would cast. And to my surprise......It worked great! So now I have 5 new lines for tenkara fishing. The front portion of the fly line I didn't use as WF portion taper. And as the cheap guy I am. I got 5 tenkara lines for $8.00!

I used some bamboo poles from our garden shed to make some tenkara rods. Also cheap.