Salt Water?

xvigauge

Reaction score
I have a Rhodo rod from Tenkara USA. Wondering what opinions are of using it in saltwater. By saltwater, I mean grass flats like Sarasota Bay. This would be "light saltwater" for small (around 14") spotted sea trout. I realize that a good washing in fresh water would be required after fishing. I think that it would work as the casts (for lack of a better term) are usually pretty short anyway even with a traditional light fly rod. What do you think?
Joe

karstopo

Reaction score
I've never done Tenkara, but have done long hand cut bamboo poles with a line attached for things like sunfish and crappie. Seems like the principle is similar to Tenkara. I bet Tenkara would work on a dock or canal at night under the lights.

How far can you cast with Tenkara set ups? I've had a couple of cases where I've had just a couple feet of fly line out plus the leader and just flipped the fly at a redfish with good results. Sometimes the speckled trout will stack up in a spot and I bet Tenkara would work then. I usually stay back at a comfortable casting distance, but I don't think the Tenkara would spook them as long as you didn't get ultra close.