Need a better way of storing line and tippet material

spokanedude

Reaction score
I have just recently decided to use Tenkara rods and am having a hell of a problem keeping the line and tippet materials from having curls. I am using PALS level line #3 (purchased from TenkaraBum.com) and TroutHunter tippet material 4X.

The level line isn't supposed to have memory, nor is the tippet material (fluorocarbon). I am using a Meiho line winder to store the lines. When I go to take the line off, it has curls; when I take the tippet off, it looks like it's been "streched" (little curls).

How do I prevent this? are there better line storage thingies that don't alter the properties of the line/tippets?

CM_Stewart

Reaction score
It is furled line that has no memory, not level line.

Any line storage system will give you either curls or kinks in fluorocarbon level line. Stretch the line and they go away - perhaps not entirely, but enough that they do not affect the casting qualities, and a little curl in the line is the most sensitive strike indicator you could possibly have.

spokanedude

Reaction score
It is furled line that has no memory, not level line.

Any line storage system will give you either curls or kinks in fluorocarbon level line. Stretch the line and they go away - perhaps not entirely, but enough that they do not affect the casting qualities, and a little curl in the line is the most sensitive strike indicator you could possibly have.
Hi Chris... I figured it out... I forgot to wet the line before I "cinched" it down... Duh! Thanks for the response tho'.

pszy22

Reaction score
I've been using this since I started fishing a fixed line, only because there weren't any better options available back then. But it works great, never had any issues. It's just a slice of a foam noodle that kids use in swimming pools. It's soft and gentle on both the rod and the line. Only problem, what to do with the 50 or so slices that you get from one $3 noodle

Last edited:

rsagebrush

Reaction score
Or you could market them as 'new and improved' and charge $2.50 ea plus shipping. Stick on a Tenkara fly and add another $2.00.

Actually a good idea.