longer lines?

eddylinez

Reaction score
I'm curious what people's experience has been with longer lines? I'm headed to the Wind River Range in a couple weeks and have been trying out things for lake fishing. At this point I'm thinking I'm not even going to take my western rod, I know I'll lose some reach but I'm digging Tenkara so much I think I'll stick with that. So far I've used a Tenkara Rod Co 16 foot crossbreed line with very good results. I'm wondering what folks have tried and what works/doesn't work? Thanks, eddie

J

james w 3 3

I've seen YouTube videos of some of the Japanese masters casting insanely long level lines.

Like so many things in fly fishing, it's mostly about practice and ability, not as much equipment.

A 25' level line should not be out of the question, but you might go up a size.

pszy22

Reaction score
I've fished lines/leaders between 25 - 30'. I was using a furled mainline. Casting wasn't really much of an issue or problem. What was less than ideal was bringing the line to hand once a fish was hooked, and then alot of hand over hand to bring the fish itself to hand.

I was fishing for pan fish in a pond, things might get pretty tough trying to land larger trout in moving water.

Is certainly doable, but I'd say it wasn't necessarily optimal.

Give it a try, see what you think.

eddylinez

Reaction score
So your forum name, like the Eddyline Brewery?

Sorry, no help on your original question.
I do live a couple blocks from the Eddyline Brewery. My name is eddie and I have been a boater for a long time, I've used different versions of eddylinez as a forum name for far longer than the brewery has been here.