Tenkara and streams with cover

ponycarman

Reaction score
I'm interested in trying tenkara sometime in the future. Been researching some rods and equipment. Most of the rivers I fish have somewhat dense tree cover down the banks. I wouldn't call the stream tiny. Maybe around 30ft across in their smallest spots. Most are a little bigger in most areas.

My question is how are tenkara rods around tree cover and smallish streams? I've heard many say it is ideal for smaller waters but I normally fish a rod around 7ft long. Seeing that most tenkara rods range from 10ft-13ft kinda makes me nervous. How do you manage such a long rod around trees? Are there tricks to work around cover or is it not as unweildy as I think in my head?

Any info would be awesome.
Thanks a bunch,
Mark

tcorfey

Reaction score
Hmm 30' across and wider with dense tree cover would not be ideal. But it could be done. I would be more likely to use your shorter western rod on a stream that size.

The advantage with a Tenkara rod is you could stick it straight out into the stream and perform water load casts or roll casts. But the problem I see is with trees overhead and to each side bringing the fish to hand may be a problem as you have to either raise the rod tip to get the line / fish within reach or you would need to sweep it to the side and beach the fish.

You would definitely have to pick your spots with either type of rod.

ponycarman

Reaction score
The streams probably aren't quite as bad as I described. It some places yes but not all. That would probably be the worst case scenario. I guess I'll have to get the stuff and just try it. Then if I find the river is too small from it then I wouldn't use tenkara on that stream moving forward.

I remember when I started fly fishing I had to be pretty mindful of my 9ft rod. When I saw 11ft and 12ft lengths it made me dizzy haha.

Thanks for the info!

garybrower

Reaction score
Head over to the Tenkara USA site, and listen to some of the podcasts, especially to the more recent ones where Galhardo talks about rod lengths, small streams, etc.

protein

Reaction score
Mark,
I'm also in the Upstate of SC and understand the kind of waters that you're talking about. I have messed around with a tenkara rod on these kind of streams. I'm using a shorter (8'6") tenkara rod and do find the overhead brush to be a nuisance, just how it is with my western fly rods.

I think there could be an advantage with a tenkara rod, to allow for better drifts, using the water to load the rod and a sidearm cast, but hook sets and landing the fish may still be a problem.

So far, I think the shorter western rods allow me greater access to more water, by allowing me to be in a workable spot and make longer casts. I'd still like to try with a 10-12' tenkara rod, though, before I come to any conclusions.

J

james w 3 3

We run into this often in the Sierras of California. Very simple solution is a short rod stashed in your little daypack.
I purchased a Shimotsuke Kiyotaki 21 from a shop in Japan last year, a bit startling to look at at first, but a very capable rod.
The harder it is to maneuver due to vegetation, the more fish seem to be there!

ponycarman

Reaction score
I'll have to give it a try as soon as I can get a rod. Looking at a 12ft caddis rod from fountainhead. Looks nice for the money. If it sticks I can invest more later if needed. I like the theory and techniques with tenkara. Not really looking to replace my western gear fly fishing completely. Just to add another tool to my fishing options and try something different than what I'm used to. I like the portability and the delicate presentation. Gonna be fun to try!

Last edited:

protein

Reaction score
That sounds like a reasonable plan. As you said, it's another tool. No need to go "all in" or to make it western vs tenkara.

I hope you have fun with it.

I was fishing the Davidson last weekend and switched back and forth between the two. Just having fun.

ponycarman

Reaction score
That sounds like a reasonable plan. As you said, it's another tool. No need to go "all in" or to make it western vs tenkara.

I hope you have fun with it.

I was fishing the Davidson last weekend and switched back and forth between the two. Just having fun.

Awesome! I still have yet to branch out to try nc streams. I've heard they are nice. I'm too lazy and spoiled being close to some decent (in my mind) waters here in easley haha.

I have a good time with western gear. Some places I know won't be practical for tenkara. But having another fun option to fish is a no brainer for me. I even enjoy a telescopic cane pole with a fly sometimes. Fun fun! I can't wait haha. Hoping to place an order for a rod sometime this week. I will post my progress as it comes. Hoping to get and fish a little independence day weekend. :D

protein

Reaction score
Ha! Don't give me too much credit for branching out to NC. I'm in Greenville and haven't really found productive local spots yet. I'm probable copping out by going up a state!

Good luck with the new purchase and enjoy.

patrick62

Reaction score
I think you'll find yourself unconsciously adapting to the 12 foot rod's unfamiliar length.

The biggest impact Tenkara has had on my overall fishing is to make me far more aware of where I am in the river. Fishing with my feet, in other words.

You might check out a shorter Tenkara rod in future, however. I have the Komodo Creek eight-footer and the Temple Fork eight and a half. Both are a good length for the brook trout streams I fish (as is the Nissin Air Stream, which is a little under eight feet, I think).

Remember too that changing lines around is as much a part of this as changing leaders and tippets is for Western fly-fishing. So with the 12 foot rod, you might be better off with six to 10-foot line with tippet added, rather than a 12 or 15 foot line, which will probably be too much.

I use light furled leaders sometimes, rather than "official" Tenkara lines, especially in close quarters. The extra heft allows me to turn over a fly with a water load or a quick flip.

Sneaky does it!

ponycarman

Reaction score
First trip trying tenkara today! Used my new fountainhead caddis 12ft and messed around with a makeshift cane pole too. Sadly no trout caught, just a couple tiny minnow sunfish.

It wasn't too bad navigating with the long rod. There were snags but not many really. Definitely no more than when I use western fly gear. It was fun!

The cane pole rig could cast ok. But it was noticeably heavier and the tip was so whippy it would do odd things with the casting. The fountainhead rod casted wonderfully. It was easy to be precise and put the fly right where I wanted most times. I'm still getting used to the casting and learning the techniques. I can see the allure. It is a super delecate presentation.

I will definitely be trying it again soon. Had a blast!

On a side note those plugs that go in the rod when collapsed must be cursed... lost mine 2 seconds after I pulled out the rod doh!

pszy22

Reaction score
On a side note those plugs that go in the rod when collapsed must be cursed... lost mine 2 seconds after I pulled out the rod doh!
It's just as well to get it out of the way quick. If you didn't lose it yesterday, you'll lose it tomorrow. It's not a matter of if, just a matter of when.

IF you take a look here, several options that I think work better than the original --

Tenkara DIY - Tenkara Fly Fishing

have fun,

J

james w 3 3

Shimotsuke Kiyotaki 21 Tenkara fly rod ... not heard of them so off to Google. 'Cheap as Chips!' Sent to you from Japan, you'd be hard pressed to spend $50.00 (plus shipping) to buy one.
"Sent to you from Japan". Uhoh, now the cat's out of the bag.
While I try hard to patronize local, then domestic, sellers as much as possible, with one exception my tenkara rods have all come directly from Japan.
A trip to a tackle store in Japan is mind blowing!

ponycarman

Reaction score
Been on a tenkara binge lately lol. Grabbed a "triple zoom" rod from a Chinese maker and just grabbed a shimotsuke kiyotaki 24 coming from japan. :D