Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Tenkara a hobbyist's hobby

Quote Originally Posted by c web View Post
    Do you also fish bargain basement western style rods?
    Vintage fiberglass mostly

IMGP0002.jpg IMGP0002.jpg reels 001.jpg
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

2. Likes fr8dog liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    Vintage fiberglass mostly

IMGP0002.jpg IMGP0002.jpg reels 001.jpg
    Man I love old gear too, grew up fishing Wright McGill rods, still get the eagle claw out now and again. Hey, it is all about getting out and enjoying what you are doing no matter what it is called or if is is simple, complicated or gentrified.

4. Likes Rip Tide liked this post

When you get down to it they are all fishing rods, regardless of price or type. But you can hardly say a spiderman kiddy pole, a stick with a string, a high end spey rod and a Seeker trolling rod with a Shimano Tiagra 80WA Reel are the same things. We use different classifications or labels for rods to denote the types of fishing we are doing.

To take it a step higher:
    We differentiate between fishing techniques with labels and within those labels we use sub-labels to communicate the style or type of fishing we are doing. For example if you say you are going fishing that could mean you are going out to noodle fish, spear fish, net fish, use a fly rod, use a spinning rod, use a baitcasting rod, etc... By using labels we define our intent or style of fishing to the person we are communicating with.

Last week I was at a table with a bunch of guys discussing the biggest fish we have caught and one gentlemen from Alaska said his biggest Salmon he caught was 64 lbs, I asked what was he using a fly rod or a conventional rod, his response was neither, that he caught the Salmon using a net. To him fishing was using a big net strung across the river. While that is not my definition of fishing it was his, and I did not assume his net was the same kind of hand-held 14" hoop net I use when I am fishing with a fly rod, I know better than that.

I think we can agree that like having different nets we have different types of fishing rods, Tenkara rods are built differently with finer rod sections, lower overall weight, and different line attachment point/style than the crappie style telescoping rods or a multi-piece metal ferruled cane rod. True that they all use a fixed length line. But then again Fly fishings foundation is built on the fixed length line rod. I think we can also agree that a single-hand fly rod, a two-handed fly rod, a spinning rod and a bait-casting rod are all different types of rods although they all use a rod and a reel and a line length that can be dynamically changed to a point of maximum reel capacity. However, we use labels to denote what type of rod/reel is being used.

So while a Tenkara rod, a single hand western rod, and a spey rod are all used for fly fishing they each have unique characteristics that are easily translated by attaching a specific label to the rod type.

I really do not understand why some people seem to have a problem with using the label "Tenkara" rod to differentiate between other fixed line rods yet they seem to have no issue with the label "Spey" rod or "Fly" rod or "Spinning" rod to differentiate between rods that have a reel attached to it.

Regards,

Tim C.

6. Likes N/A, rodteague liked this post

Tim,
    Yours is the first reply I've ever seen that supports using the term tenkara without a "because-I-said-so" mentality. Well stated.
    With that explanation, I'll refrain from any further mentioning of my opinion on this matter.

c web ... absolutely. In response to the query (I know it wasn't aimed at me, but my 2 cents on it) of using bargain basement rods.
    With the exception of a couple of professionally built rods that I picked up on sales, all of my rods are $100.00 or less combos from BPS or Cabela's. And I have a BLAST catching fish on them.

Quote Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
    Tim,
    Yours is the first reply I've ever seen that supports using the term tenkara without a "because-I-said-so" mentality. Well stated.
    With that explanation, I'll refrain from any further mentioning of my opinion on this matter.

c web ... absolutely. In response to the query (I know it wasn't aimed at me, but my 2 cents on it) of using bargain basement rods.
    With the exception of a couple of professionally built rods that I picked up on sales, all of my rods are $100.00 or less combos from BPS or Cabela's. And I have a BLAST catching fish on them.
    Awesome! I love the new line of eagle claw rods even though they are chinese and I own one in every size. Actually wrote a blog article about them.

My favorite tenkara rod is actually a seiryu rod, the Nissin fine mode, it costs around $50 which is dirt cheap for tenkara but well above the $10 price of a bream buster.

Below is a recent pic of a bass on an eagle claw and $10 south bend reel.

892707_10200768890175256_562993310_o.jpg

I've never really understood why people feel duty bound to argue that using a fixed length line isn't really fly fishing. Everyone is free to have an opinion. Of course to be consistent, we really need to rename all those fly fishing clubs named after Izzak Walton, because he never used a reel

Izaak2.jpg

Quite honestly, I fished with a cane pole alot, I always enjoyed it. Nothing reminds me of it more than when I see some one fishing with a bobber, I mean strike indicator. That's pretty much the set up I always used.

Personally, I really don't care how anyone wants to fish, as long as it's legal. And I really don't care how people feel about the way I choose to fish.

The more you know, the less you need.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

10. Likes N/A liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123