Tenkara for Yellowstone?

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
My wife and I are going to Yellowstone in September (not a "fishing trip" per se, rather a 35th anniversary gift to ourselves; she is not into fishing). But of course I would like to get in a little fishing. Of all the rods I have have, the only one that fits in the luggage I own is a 6'10" 4-piece 4-wt, but I don't know if that would be adequate for the trip. I got to thinking about tenkara, and the beauty of being able to put the thing in a small backpack, and not having to carry a reel, etc. Think that would be sufficient for fishing at Yellowstone? I would rather buy that than a bigger piece of luggage (though explaining why I need an 11th rod could be dicey).

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Your 4 wt will work fine on the smaller streams in Yellowstone, at least until the wind comes up and a Tenkara rod would be a lot of fun also. Take both! LOL!

bushak

Reaction score
Tenkara is perfectly fine for the Yellowstone area. Tenkara rods, much like western gear, is incredibly varied and not just for small fish. Last fall I caught a coho salmon on my tenkara USA Amago rod. I was using the rod to flip beads for dollies in a small stream in the Kenai. I'd recommend the Amago because it works well for dries as well as small streamers and nymphs.

mikechell

Reaction score
Tenkara rod? Sure, take it. That way, if you can't wade out into the stream to get to the fish, you can blame the rod for not catching anything.
If you take a fly rod, with the innovative reel, you can actually cast out to where the fish are holding! Then, if you don't catch anything, you'll only have yourself to blame.

c web

Reaction score
I always have my Nissin fine mode with me. It is super light, takes up almost no room and is fun as all get out to fish with. Completely agree with take both!

silver creek

Reaction score
There are several places that you could easily fish with the 4W t and the tenkara rod.

The Gibbon River at the Norris Campground is easily walkable and no waders are needed unless you wanted to cross the river.

Google Maps

Obsidian Creek at the Indian Creek Campground and the Gardiner River at Sheepeater Cliff are two more places you can easily fish. If you park at Sheepeaters Cliff, there is a walking path down along the Gardiner River.

Google Maps

skcwolfgang

Reaction score
I have fished black tail deer creek with a conventional rod and it would be fantastic with a tenkara. No need to wade on that stream.