Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  38
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Making the Transition to Tenkara

Always good to see someone trying something new and I like seeing discussion on this sub forum.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes kentuckysteve liked this post

Tenkara is definitely a different way to fish and it can be as simple or complicated as you want.

I get several youngsters started fly fishing with Tenkara rods each year. They really love it.

Check out the Tenkara Bum website it has more info then you probably want to know right now but it's got lots of good information.

I keep a Tenkara rod as a spare many times when I am on the stream. It packs up small and light and is perfect when fishing pocket water between the boulders on many upper sierra streams.

Regards,

Tim C.

4. Likes pszy22 liked this post
    james w 3 3 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nevadanstig View Post
    Flannel, a fedora and a man bun are essential parts of the transition. You'll be set for a paddle board too!
    Making the Transition to Tenkara

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    Was there a memo I missed?
    I don't have any of those things, but I do own and fish several tenkara rods.
    Catch lots of fish, have great fun, isn't that the point of fishing?

To answer your original question, if you are used to fishing a reeled rod, the toughest part is figuring out what to do with your off hand. Stick it in a pocket or wader top until you catch your first fish. You won't have any problem in terms of casting and managing your fly.

For folks who have never fly fished before, they are casting well enough to start catching fish in just a few minutes. The long rods and relatively short lines eliminate most of the timing issues beginners sometimes encounter.

In terms of where to fish, my home river is at least 150' wide. Quite honestly, when I see people fish my home river, the biggest mistake they make is to see how far they can cast. This results in them fishing a long, uncontrolled drift. In many if not most situations, you are better off fishing a short, controlled cast.

That's really where fishing a relatively long rod and very light line excel, in controlling what happens after you make the cast.

The more you know, the less you need.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

7. Likes rsagebrush liked this post

pszy22 nailed it. It's all about controlling the drift. I have probably fished about 20 times with Tenkara guys. Some really fun times while we fished with our personally preferred methods. I was absolutely schooled on a few of those days. I was pretty helpless with my 7.6 Western style rods on certain spots we were fishing. Other days I was the winner because I could get the extra distance required.

9. Likes pszy22 liked this post

Problem resolved
    Last edited by Ard; 03-14-2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Additional clean up work

Both my 4.5m and 5.4m poles can handle carp as well. Just apply side pressure, but having said that I have not tried stopping carp in a river with a fixed line pole. It must be another beast all together.

Quote Originally Posted by lookard View Post
    Both my 4.5m and 5.4m poles can handle carp as well. Just apply side pressure, but having said that I have not tried stopping carp in a river with a fixed line pole. It must be another beast all together.
    When it comes to handling big fresh fish, especially in moving waters; that's kind of why they invented reels.

The more you know, the less you need.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

For short line/tight line nymphing, chucking and such I always carry a rather stout Tenkara/Keiryu rod when Western fly fishing I'm not using a fly line anyways as I want to get down deep rapidly, it take up almost no space on my Sling Pack. I get some of my best fish of the day that way. I'm still trying to understand why I would want to use a Euronymph set up when I have access to this method which does the same thing without all that fuss and expense.
    Easy to take down and resume with the other rod. I bicycle a lot of streams and rivers and generally just use fixed line rods because I can stop, telescope and fish in a very short time, take down and be off in a heartbeat. One year I did about 80% of my fly fishing this way and never felt shortchanged.

14. Likes N/A liked this post

^That's a very appealing scenario

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast