Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  38
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Making the Transition to Tenkara

So I started reading about Tenkara after seeing a TV show where they fished this way. is it an easy transition from "traditional" fly fishing? I am struggling to see how it would be as creative or enjoyable?

Default Re: Making the Transition to Tenkara

It's fun, it's interesting, it has a very long history, it is very efficient, it is pretty easy to do. It improves your stalking skills which are applicable to Western fly fishing too. The dead drifts you can accomplish are spectacular. It's fast, simple and basic, What's not to like.

3. Likes c web, N/A, pszy22 liked this post

After a couple of weeks you'll stop reaching for the non-existent reel.

I concur on the stalking. Since I started playing around with fixed-line rods, my regular fishing has improved. I am much more aware of where I am in the river.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick62 View Post
    After a couple of weeks you'll stop reaching for the non-existent reel.

I concur on the stalking. Since I started playing around with fixed-line rods, my regular fishing has improved. I am much more aware of where I am in the river.

Haha!! That would be me trying to adjust the drag or something. I want to get one for my wife so we can stalk some Brook trout.

Tenkara is a blast, super simple, easy to learn and very effective. For small to medium streams it is perfect.

james w 3 3 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by c web View Post
    Tenkara is a blast, super simple, easy to learn and very effective. For small to medium streams it is perfect.
    Not just small to medium streams, there's a plethora of videos on YouTube showing guys fishing substantial sized rivers with a tenkara rod. Just like with traditional fly gear, you size your tenkara rod to the water and fish.

8. Likes pszy22 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by jschaffer View Post
    So I started reading about Tenkara after seeing a TV show where they fished this way. is it an easy transition from "traditional" fly fishing? I am struggling to see how it would be as creative or enjoyable?
    I have a few friends that enjoy Tenkara very much. They are VERY effective on smaller water with some practice.

I have a 5.4m and 4.5m pole that I'm going to try out! Long pole fixed line nymphing.

Quote Originally Posted by lookard View Post
    I have a 5.4m and 4.5m pole that I'm going to try out! Long pole fixed line nymphing.
    That is where they shine best IMO. They are deadly with other flies as well. Due to length of typical Tenkara you can put the fly where you want it on a smallish stream with little regard to casting obstructions. Advantage is lost on big water.

I have a big 13 foot thing from an eBay seller, Maxcatch, a Chinese outfit. You'll see them on Amazon too.

It was $50.

First time out I attached an 8 foot Tenkara line, similar to a furled leader but not as thick. To that I added a couple feet of 2X mono, and a couple more feet of 6 pound Berkley Vanish flouro, with a four inch dropper.

I then tied on two beadhead Woolies, green and brown, size 12 and 8, respectively, with the bigger one on the dropper and the smaller trailing.

I waded into the Housatonic River, in the wide riffle that starts just below the power station in Falls Village. I launched this decidedly nontraditional "Tenkara" rig into a likely spot, and was rewarded, on the second cast, with a smallmouth double. I landed both, even though my net fell off the keeper and was floating away.

Naturally, in an age when the most trivial events are captured on cell phone video and blasted all over creation, there was nobody there to see this highly comical act -- me, dancing downstream, trying to grab the net while holding on to a 13 foot rod with two panicky fish attached.

I later broke that rod when one of the giant carp that roam the river decided to take my mop fly. But because it is only $50, I bought another one.

What the hipsters call a fedora is really a trilby, by the way.

13. Likes kentuckysteve liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast