Tangled leader

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I am new to tenkara, and actually I have a keiryu rod. For line storage I bought these EZ Keeper clip thingies...

Fuji EZ Keepers

...and wrap the line/leader (about 11 feet of #4 level line and a 4 foot 5X mono leader) figure-8 fashion for storage, or when going from one place to another. But more often than not when I unwrap the line, the leader forms a hopelessly tangled mess. How do y'all prevent that? Do I just need to be more careful? Or is a spool type line holder better, like this:

Tenkara Line Holder

This looks interesting too; does anyone here use one of these?

Tenkara USA

This guy came up with an elegant solution to , though I wonder if I would still have the tangling issue:

YouTube

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

To prevent coiling and reduce tangle possibilities simply pull the monofilament lines through your hand gripping it tightly enough to produce heat friction. It may take several pulls depending on the extent of coiling. As you pull and can feel the heat in the area where mono and skin are in contact pause while maintaining tension on the line. Essentially you are looking to heat up the material and while taunt allowing it to cool in a straight position.

That has been working for me for a very long time.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Thanks. I think what caused my problem is that when I "unclip" the EZKeepers the line sort of bounces off into a bird nest. What I need to do is leave them clipped and carefully unwind the line. For moving from one place to another, standard fly rod 1, tenkara 0.

By the way, physicists talk about the four fundamental forces of nature, but everyone knows there are actually six:

1. The strong force.
2. The weak force.
3. The electromagnetic force.
4. Gravity.
5. The force which causes any long flexible linear objects (string, fishing line, rubber bands, earbud wires, etc.) to form a tangled mass if left in close proximity to each other.
6. The attractive force between car tires and any screw or nail dropped on the garage floor.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't go into the science behind the heat friction and stretching as the line cools but it is science. The heat caused as you pull the mono through the hand causes the molecules within the material to become excited (for lack of a better word) they are primed for realignment at that time. By holding the line in a straight and slightly stretched position as the molecules cool they take on the new alignment posture. There's another explanation for why the line retains memory but we needn't go there, save to say that once you do what I suggested the new memory will be one that leaves your material straight as an arrow and limp.

CM_Stewart

Reaction score
Next time, wrap around the EZ Keepers in a figure 8, not a circle. That by itself should prevent most of your problem.

J

james w 3 3

I am new to tenkara, and actually I have a keiryu rod. For line storage I bought these EZ Keeper clip thingies...

Fuji EZ Keepers

...and wrap the line/leader (about 11 feet of #4 level line and a 4 foot 5X mono leader) figure-8 fashion for storage, or when going from one place to another. But more often than not when I unwrap the line, the leader forms a hopelessly tangled mess. How do y'all prevent that? Do I just need to be more careful? Or is a spool type line holder better, like this:

Tenkara Line Holder

This looks interesting too; does anyone here use one of these?

Tenkara USA

This guy came up with an elegant solution to , though I wonder if I would still have the tangling issue:

YouTube
Ironically, or perhaps not, I’ve used all three of those!!
The issue you are having with the two clips one is the same one I had. I ended up taking it off and throwing it away. I couldn’t even bring myself to give it away, not wanting to inflict that mess on another human being.

The spool with the blue sides works great, as does the one from Tenkara USA.

The TUSA will hold two separate lines, which I like a lot. I’ll have my orange level line in one slot, and my Sanyo “clear” (actually sort of a milky pale green) in the other. The little fly box molded in is pretty small, but that’s the only criticism I’ve got. I find the line comes off this one best though because it’s in the slot, not just wrapped around the foam core of the other type. Yes, of course, it’s always the most expensive thing that works best . . .

pszy22

Reaction score
I've used a donut cut from a swimming pool noodle to store my lines for the past 10 years or so and have never had a problem.

It does take a few seconds to wind the line on after fishing, but you can then store the line on or off the rod. Other downside, you need to put the donut in your vest or pocket while fishing.

The good news, you can usually find a 6' pool noodle for a couple of bucks, which will provide a lifetime supply for yourself and all your friends.

line winder3.JPG

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I've used a donut cut from a swimming pool noodle to store my lines for the past 10 years or so and have never had a problem.

It does take a few seconds to wind the line on after fishing, but you can then store the line on or off the rod. Other downside, you need to put the donut in your vest or pocket while fishing.

The good news, you can usually find a 6' pool noodle for a couple of bucks, which will provide a lifetime supply for yourself and all your friends.

View attachment 10755
Great idea, thanks. I am going to try that, I have a bunch of pool noodles in my garage.

ny yankee

Reaction score
You mentioned being more careful to unwrap the line. One of the ways of the Japanese is being very careful and deliberate in the things they do. Even serving tea is an artful presentation with little wasted movements. They derive satisfaction not just from the result of the process but in performing the actions of the process as well. A job done very well, you might say. I think you are on the right track with your idea.