Owyhee vs Grand Teton

Simon

Reaction score
Been checking out Tenkara Rod Co’s Owyhee and the grand Teton. They’re both very similar (by a hair) in height and weight, and designed to be able to handle larger fish. I’m interested in hearing if anyone has fished either of these, and if you were to purchase one what would you go with and why? Considering picking one up but am having trouble deciding on which one, any input would be much appreciated.

lookard

Reaction score
Never used any of those rods. But I would go with Japanese tenkara rods. They are not expensive and you can find them on ratuken.co.jp.

J

james w 3 3

Not sure how you came to decide upon that one specific company. But I also am a big Japanese rod fan. Quality of workmanship makes all the difference in the world, and there’s no comparison between Japanese and all the Chinese rods flooding the market.
I’d suggest reading the extensive reviews on the Tenkara Bum website before pulling the trigger.
Just my opinion, trying to help you not make the costly journey I made before I got it right.

bushak

Reaction score
You will have to define large fish and the water you will most likely fish. Tenkara Rod Company just offers baseline models and probably isn't a bad way to get started. The owyhee will be lighter and probably more enjoyable to fish with. I know they've gone to Alaska and caught salmon with both models, but speaking from experience, I much prefer the Amago from Tenkara USA and it's close to the same price. The balance is better with the Amago, it's not as stiff so it's more enjoyable to cast both level and floating line, and it's more than capable of bringing in 20 inch fish. Heck, I managed to bring in a pretty sizable silver salmon (not recommended!) while fishing for dollies with beads.

I use my tenkara for trout, dollies, and grayling up here and save the bigger fish for my western gear. It's much more enjoyable to use a lighter rod and focus on finesse and technique. Some days I'll fish all day, hike 5-7 miles, and walk to my car with a big grin and a weight lifted off my shoulder without ever catching a fish.

Steelpulse

Reaction score
See my thread I started today on big fish on tenkara. I have the grand Teton and it’s amazing handling big carp. So would be no issue on smaller fish. It is big it is stiff but you can bend that thing An insane amount. I can continuously control 30” fish and bring them to shore with relative easy. I have smaller Japanese rods, same length but less back bone and they are nice for sitting and soaking baits for carp, where as the Teton I find is harder to cast accurately due to its thickness and back bone. However it’s an abosolute bulls eye every time of you utilize the slingshot cAst on sight fishing carp with big flies. I am even considering buying another.

kodiakjack

Reaction score
Look...if you are targeting huge fish, look at the "Western" company Tenkara rods. If you are targeting average size fish, you can't beat the rods made in Japan. I have the Amago (TUSA), Owyhee (TTRC), and the Soft Hackle (both 10'6" and 11'6" - TFO/P) and all four have the backbone to catch very large fish. I have caught 'bows in the Kenai and Russian rivers that push the 30" mark with those rods.

When I fish the Parks Streams (the valley, Alaska), I use my Shimano LLS36NX - it handles fish in the 8-24" range - awesome for grayling.

The Japan rods are technically made for mountain streams - smaller fish - and that is where the Japanese rods shine. Their expertise and fishing application are honed/reflected in their rods - fish with what you know. The best "big fish" Japanese Tenkara rod is probably the Daiwa Expert LT H44 . I know Chris (Tenkara Bum) can get you one and he highly recommends it.

The USA company's that hit the scene make some great rods too but many Tenkara purists scoff at them. Tenkara USA, the Tenkara Rod Co., and TFO/Patagonia make good rods...they have just put a western spin on the sport.

The great thing about Tenkara is that I can buy 6-8 Tenkara rods for every 1 G Loomis Asquith! Not to mention the amount saved on reels, etc.

I love all fly fishing --- it is a sickness!

bushak

Reaction score
Look...if you are targeting huge fish, look at the "Western" company Tenkara rods. If you are targeting average size fish, you can't beat the rods made in Japan. I have the Amago (TUSA), Owyhee (TTRC), and the Soft Hackle (both 10'6" and 11'6" - TFO/P) and all four have the backbone to catch very large fish. I have caught 'bows in the Kenai and Russian rivers that push the 30" mark with those rods.

When I fish the Parks Streams (the valley, Alaska), I use my Shimano LLS36NX - it handles fish in the 8-24" range - awesome for grayling.

The Japan rods are technically made for mountain streams - smaller fish - and that is where the Japanese rods shine. Their expertise and fishing application are honed/reflected in their rods - fish with what you know. The best "big fish" Japanese Tenkara rod is probably the Daiwa Expert LT H44 . I know Chris (Tenkara Bum) can get you one and he highly recommends it.

The USA company's that hit the scene make some great rods too but many Tenkara purists scoff at them. Tenkara USA, the Tenkara Rod Co., and TFO/Patagonia make good rods...they have just put a western spin on the sport.

The great thing about Tenkara is that I can buy 6-8 Tenkara rods for every 1 G Loomis Asquith! Not to mention the amount saved on reels, etc.

I love all fly fishing --- it is a sickness!
My Amago is more than up for the parks streams. Some friends and I had a lot of fun fishing the upper Montana for some grayling and rainbows. Quartz creek is another one where I feel pretty confident I'll out fish anyone using western gear. I will use my western gear, most of the time, once I get on the rivers in Western Alaska. It's just too common to catch the various salmon species. Better believe it though that I pulled out the rod to flip beads once we found holes full of grayling.