Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Can part of a 33 ft carbon fiber rod be used for Tenkara?

I recently learned of Tenkara. From what I've read, it offers the advantages of a relatively easy startup learning curve for inexperienced folk like me, and minimal, lightweight gear.

I have a 33 ft, high modulus, low resin, carbon fiber rod that I'd like to dual-purpose for Tenkara if possible. I currently use it as an antenna mast for my ham radio. When stood vertically on end, it's stiff enough to support a portable inverted V wire antenna, guyed down in a triangle around the pole, without flexing much.

The five thinnest sections make a pole about 10 ft in length. Using the Common Cents Method, I measure this to have an Effective Rod Number (ERN) of 3.27.

Can someone who's familiar with the Common Cents Method help me determine if the rod is suitable for Tenkara, and if so, what its strengths and weaknesses might be? I'm happy to provide any additional information requested. I'm also open to other methods of evaluation.

Thanks,
    Dave

Default Re: Can part of a 33 ft carbon fiber rod be used for Tenkara?

33 feet?

That’s not a typo?
    Mainline the blueline

Rig it up and test the bend by putting weights on the end, no knowing till you try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    I once had a tank aerial for a rod (pike) until it snapped in two, one piece is still in the workshop and I use pieces of it for cutting holes in gasket material and foam.

Why not tie on some 10lb florocarbon line and see if you can cast it. If you can, it is probably good enough! =) 33ft is long though. I use a 4.5m pole for carp, and my buddy uses a 6.4m for carp.

Quote Originally Posted by lookard View Post
    Why not tie on some 10lb florocarbon line and see if you can cast it. If you can, it is probably good enough! =) 33ft is long though. I use a 4.5m pole for carp, and my buddy uses a 6.4m for carp.
    Yeah, 10m seems long. It does a great job supporting my antenna, though. The site I bought it from actually sells a 21m rod for almost $750. No idea what advantage that much length offers.

Quote Originally Posted by jayr View Post
    33 feet?

That’s not a typo?
    Nope. It's 10m long.

Its probably designed for salmon or steelhead. Suntech Salmon Rod