Telescoping Tenkara Rod Problems

xvigauge

Reaction score
I am having much difficulty opening and closing my Tenkara rod, especially in closing it. Some of the sections seem to get stuck and become very difficult to close. I especially hate trying to push in the linen tip as it is so thin I am afraid I will break it. Is there anything I can apply to the sections to make them open and close a little easier?
Joe

Cauer2

Reaction score
I'm not sure which rod you have. I have 2 of them and the one I use most frequently has had some similar issues in the past. Ultimately I needed to change the sections out for new ones. I think one of the reasons is just simply damage drone the constant telscoping in and out. Another might be the when the sections are being opened they are opening to far and locking tighter than necessary. They also need to be whiped and dried thouroughly after a long day out or getting really wet; the water will cause damage to the finish and that can cause some issues too. I have a TUSA Rhodo and Tenkarabum 40. I very seldom use the 40 though I prefer it's feel and casting to the other. The TUSA is just much more versatile for me and the water I enjoy fishing, and the customer service has been excellent. I've had the rod fixed, parts replaced, and purchased new tip section for it within the last two years(this speaks more to the amount of use than quality.) Every time I've dealt with them it has been a very easy process. Just as an aide, you could get a piece of rubber mat or other to help you keep a grip on tight sections. As far as putting somthing on the sections??? I imagine any grease would get all over. I suppose you could try a teflin or silicone spray to help but that needs to be applied fairly frequently. Hope the info helps out some.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Cauer2

Reaction score
Honestly I never looked into that as an option. Whatever you use would probably have to be a thin substance for the sake of sluding in and out and not getting gummed up in the process. There are a lot of times my line will wrap around some of tbe sections and I would think a heavy wax would lend itself to sticking to the line; might make it awkward to cast??? If you end up trying it let me know how it works.

xvigauge

Reaction score
Honestly I never looked into that as an option. Whatever you use would probably have to be a thin substance for the sake of sluding in and out and not getting gummed up in the process. There are a lot of times my line will wrap around some of tbe sections and I would think a heavy wax would lend itself to sticking to the line; might make it awkward to cast??? If you end up trying it let me know how it works.

It is a TUSA Rhodo like yours.
Joe

ia_trouter

Reaction score

It was just a thought. It works well on a regular fly rod. Provides lubricaton to push or pull the rod sections tight, but not seize up when you want to break it down. I've never seen parafin type wax gum anything up. It's not viscous at anywhere near normal fishing temps.

Cauer2

Reaction score
Well, let me know what happens. If it ends up not working remember the TUSA rods have a lifetime warranty. Like I said, they have been great to work with each time.

pszy22

Reaction score
When it comes to tenkara, a light touch always works best. There is no need to "seat" the sections when opening the rod. You just need to gently open the section until there is a slight resistance. If you apply force when opening a rod, you will have trouble closing it. Tenkara rods are designed so that they do NOT come apart while fishing, that is not something you need to worry about when opening your rod.

It is important to keep the rod sections clean, you never want to lay the open rod on the ground and you should avoid submerging the rod into the water. It's a good idea to wipe off each rod section as you close the rod.

I'd personally advise to not lubricate the rod with any substance. The rod sections are designed to mate clean and dry. I think you'll find trying to lubricate the rod will only add to your troubles.