Beach fishing with Tenkara

shimloom

Reaction score
I live in California and recently was surf fishing and camping, I use long steelhead rods for this kind of work. I noticed that as I was retrieving my offering and was almost at the shore I was getting hits from smaller Barred Surf Perch. I went back to my trailer and put up the spinning gear and pulled out my Amago rod and tied on a jig I hand tie.

Started making casts beyond the small troughs and worked it back in. After many casts finally hooked a perch and had a great fight. Don't know if anyone has tried using Tenkara for ocean fishing but man it was fun. Next time I am going to use my Keiryu rod (17'). If you have not tried this technique in salt water I would give it a try, loads of fun!

patrick62

Reaction score
There's a video somewhere of some guys fishing in the ocean with fixed-line rods. Not only that, they stapled some feathers to an old flip flop, stuck a hook in it and chucked it out there on the theory it would look like a wounded bird. Worked, too.

oldskewl808

Reaction score
I have used Tenkara from the beach here in Hawaii and caught many different kinds of small fish. It’s a lot of fun but larger fish break you off pretty easily. So far I haven’t been able to land a Bonefish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luj333

Reaction score
I can't imagine how you'd be able to land a bonefish with a tenkara rod unless it was tiny, which Hawaii is definitely not known for.

oldskewl808

Reaction score
I can't imagine how you'd be able to land a bonefish with a tenkara rod unless it was tiny, which Hawaii is definitely not known for.
I know a spot where smaller bones frequent (2-3lbs) but the shock when they take off is just too much. I try to go from high stick to full knee bend reach but so far it’s been a fail.

luj333

Reaction score
Doesn't matter if the rod is designed for salmon or carp, that bonefish is going to blow up the tippet on the initial burst.

oldskewl808

Reaction score
Doesn't matter if the rod is designed for salmon or carp, that bonefish is going to blow up the tippet on the initial burst.
The problem so far has been the connection to the tip of the rod. I have an idea for next time if or whenever I get the urge to try it again.