Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tenkara + Kayak

Default Tenkara + Kayak

Lately I have been using a tenkara-type rod (actually my Daiwa Keiryu X39) for bass fishing in my kayak on local ponds. Since there is no need for long casts, I cut down the line and tippet so it is a little shorter than the rod (13 feet) making line handling simple, and I haven't had any difficulty bringing fish to hand or net. It has the backbone for throwing reasonably sizable flies (I lean toward woolly buggers, bunny leeches and other streamers). I haven't hooked any enormous fish yet, but I'm not worried because that rod handled a huge (it gets bigger with every telling) cutthroat at Yellowstone. Another advantage is that I believe it will float if I drop it, but I am going to try not to test that.

A disadvantage is that my rod holders won't hold it since the reel is what secures a rod in the holder. But I can secure it with the paddle holder bungie on my Tarpon.

Default Re: Tenkara + Kayak

I find my Tenkara rods handle bigger fish just fine. When I first started I thought the rod would snap in half the first time I hooked a largemouth.

Of course keeping it on the hook and getting it in the net are two different things. Especially when the fish swims around your feet and the net somehow comes untethered and floats away.

But there's no need to bring the Civil War into this.

Sounds like Seminole Indian style "bob" fishing..... the original "bass buggin'"

From Bobs to Bugs, A Little History | MidCurrent

Two people are in a little canoe,” wrote Bartram (in 1741), “one sitting in the stern to steer, and the other near the bow, having a rod ten or twelve feet in length, to one end of which is tied a string line, about twenty inches in length, to which is fastened three large hooks, back to back. These are fixed very securely, and tied with the white hair of a deer’s tail, shreds of a red garter, and some parti-colored feathers, all which form a tuft or tassel nearly as large as one’s fist, and entirely cover and conceal the hooks; that are called a “bob.” The steersman paddles softly, and proceeds slowly along shore; he now ingeniously swings the bob backwards and forwards, just above the surface and sometimes tips the water with it, when the unfortunate cheated trout [sic] instantly springs from under the reeds and seizes the exposed prey.”
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

I've used my Tenkara (Tenkara USA Sato) rod a couple of times from the bank of a pond.

I've wanted to use it from my Kayak for bluegill or bass, but our rivers typically have a lot of overhead obstructions. Maybe the next time I go, I'll try a short line and leader.

Sent from the largest mountain range in Florida.