Tenkara line options

pcolapaddler

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using fly line backing for Tenkara line?

It wouldn't float, but might work well to turn over wind resistant bugs.

Thoughts?

Sent from the largest mountain range in Florida.

patrick62

Reaction score
Yes. I've used #20 Dacron. It works until it doesn't. Fairly useless in any kind of wind unless using a heavy fly.

I've also used running line from an old WF6. Furled leaders of various types. Level fluorocarbon. And self-described Tenkara lines from outfits like Bushi.

I've had the best results with the last two. Bear in mind I am often fishing warm water for bass, and I routinely ignore warnings about using larger tippets and weighted flies. Haven't busted one yet on a fish; have broken two by clumsiness.

pcolapaddler

Reaction score
I'm mostly warm water as well. I want to try from my kayak... though there are lots of overhead obstructions to contend with.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I have been thinking about tying some dental floss on my tenkara rod and trying dapping.

pszy22

Reaction score
A major factor in finding a line combination that works well is where and how you like to fish. Since you are fishing a relatively short line with a relatively long rod, alot of options exist.

One word of warning to the wise, when fishing a fixed length line system, make sure the weakest link in the chain isn't your rod. There are unexpected situations when something needs to give (high snags, big fish, etc), when it happens, you want to be sure it's the tippet that breaks, not your rod.

pcolapaddler

Reaction score
I took some of the things I've read here to heart and tried a short section of old fly line - about a 6 foot section of 5 wt.

It cast popping a bug quite well.

The river was pretty high, and fish were pretty far back in bushes and trees. I couldn't reach far enough into the brush without hanging in the branches. I finally tried a slingshot cast to get back into the thick stuff.

I usually can't buy a strike on this river, but managed to at least get a few takes and a couple hook ups with some bass. Much better than normal and only lost one popper.

I think I'll make a couple lengths of fly line to use with poppers and my kayak.

pcolapaddler

Reaction score
I nail knotted a short piece of fly line backing to one end of the fly line. Ditto for the 8lb flourocarbon leader at the other end. I think that I should have used something a bit stiffer for the leader and a foot or so of tippet.

The popping bug, a Miss Prissy in size 8, turned over fine as rigged though and i do tend to end up in the bushes a bit.

FlukeFly

Reaction score
I am thinking about playing some Orange Twisted plum Line string from Home Depot. I have some in my tool box. I think it floats.
I will play around then post how it works!

flyfishxprt

Reaction score
Try Varivas air-core mono shooting line instead of braid. It has become my favorite tenkara line in the last few years because it floats due to air chambers in the mono and is much thinner and lighter than regular vinyl-coated line. On the downside, it only comes in a pale clear yellow so add some sighter material or a drift indicator at the end to nymph.

Varivas Airs Shooting Line.

txwildcat

Reaction score
i know this thread is old but... i cut a rod length section of 1wt floating line. it is a little heavy but the way I use it it's not a problem. when I use it I lay the line out on the water like a western rig. if I can find some 0 or 00 I'm gonna try that.

i have been using 20# dacron backing the last few trips. it works great when its not windy. the wind turns it into a sail.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
I almost always use a level line from Sunline in Orange (I also taper these and that works well too) , some of the tapered mono lines cast well too, Twisted lines work quite well. I've tried cut fly lines, furled lines and they cast nice but it's hard to hold them off the water and I like those drag free drifts. In the end I am most satisfied with the Sunline Flourocarbon.
I think I might try that Varivas though.

txwildcat

Reaction score
do you tie the tippet ring to the pvc? or do you tie a short section of mono to the pvc then tie tippet ring to that?

danmarino

Reaction score
I have the tippet ring directly tied to the pvc line and mono/P-Line CXX Premium line.