Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Tenkara Rod Help For A disabled Friend

It's a marketing ploy~ started by tenkara manufacturers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Let's not wreck Denny's thread debating semantics that have nothing to do with his request for assistance helping a disabled friend enjoy the outdoors once again.

3. Thanks CM_Stewart thanked for this post
    Likes dennyk liked this post

Agreed. Best of luck helping your friend

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

I applaud your efforts. I have never fished with a "Tenkara" rod, however, I have fished with what we refer to as a "straight pole". The "poles" used to be lengths of bamboo in my younger days. How much different is a Tenkara rod than a rod for crappie fishing? If you check out "Allfishingbuy.com" they have Tenkara rods and carbon pole rods. The carbon pole rods are a lot cheaper.

I can't help but wonder if getting a true Tenkara rod is like buying a Sage or Scott rod and getting a crappie rod like getting an off-brand. They both catch fish but ………...

7. Thanks dennyk thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

I ran my friend Jeff today fishing my way back to the truck. I asked him if he ever heard of a fly fishing style named Tenkara- he said never. Truth be told I've I haven't heard of it until I joined this forum. After explaining to Jeff how this rod works I got the impression he was excited to give it a try.

He didn't know I already ordered this rod for him through a fishin' buddy of mine with a dealer's licence so I should be able to get it at cost.

Tenkara USA

I should have the rod by Thursday and am looking forward to fishing with Jeff!

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Denny

9. Likes tcorfey liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyshishido View Post
    I applaud your efforts. I have never fished with a "Tenkara" rod, however, I have fished with what we refer to as a "straight pole". The "poles" used to be lengths of bamboo in my younger days. How much different is a Tenkara rod than a rod for crappie fishing? If you check out "Allfishingbuy.com" they have Tenkara rods and carbon pole rods. The carbon pole rods are a lot cheaper.

I can't help but wonder if getting a true Tenkara rod is like buying a Sage or Scott rod and getting a crappie rod like getting an off-brand. They both catch fish but ………...
    I'll take a shot at this since it went unanswered. Keep in mind I have Tenkara fished exactly twice, but fished small creeks a couple seasons with a hardcore Tenkara guy.

A crappie pole and an Tenkara are vaguely similar in appearance. They are typically telescoping for compact storage. Both are commonly 12-14ft long though Tenkara variations can get crazy long.

My Stepdad has a glass crappiestick. The first few sections are like a pool cue. He can dead lift a two pound crappie out of the brush from 14 feet away. He has a reel on his but it's optional. He isn't casting that rig. It's good for it's purpose.

Tenkara rods come in many variations, and I suppose a real heavy one might make an OK crappie stick. A typical creek model is pretty much a very long fly rod. A two pound fish will bend some rods to the cork. Imagine a 13ft long 3WT fly rod. I think that's an accurate enough description. Crazy good at controlling a drift, and you can delicately present the smallest of flies. What it won't do as well as a "western" rod is cast under overhanging brush. You aren't casting a Tenkara 35ft away either. IMO it's a close range tool when the stream vegetation isn't overly thick. It's fun to watch somebody use one if they know what they are doing.

I don't want to own one at this time, but I understood why they are popular and effective after 20 trips with my buddy.

11. Likes dennyk liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    I'll take a shot at this since it went unanswered. Keep in mind I have Tenkara fished exactly twice, but fished small creeks a couple seasons with a hardcore Tenkara guy.

A crappie pole and an Tenkara are vaguely similar in appearance. They are typically telescoping for compact storage. Both are commonly 12-14ft long though Tenkara variations can get crazy long.

My Stepdad has a glass crappiestick. The first few sections are like a pool cue. He can dead lift a two pound crappie out of the brush from 14 feet away. He has a reel on his but it's optional. He isn't casting that rig. It's good for it's purpose.

Tenkara rods come in many variations, and I suppose a real heavy one might make an OK crappie stick. A typical creek model is pretty much a very long fly rod. A two pound fish will bend some rods to the cork. Imagine a 13ft long 3WT fly rod. I think that's an accurate enough description. Crazy good at controlling a drift, and you can delicately present the smallest of flies. What it won't do as well as a "western" rod is cast under overhanging brush. You aren't casting a Tenkara 35ft away either. IMO it's a close range tool when the stream vegetation isn't overly thick. It's fun to watch somebody use one if they know what they are doing.

I don't want to own one at this time, but I understood why they are popular and effective after 20 trips with my buddy.
    I have the opposite experience: I have used tenkara rods quite a bit over the past few years, but I have never used a crappie pole. I would imagine the crappie pole is a lot heavier, and I don't know if you actually cast a crappie pole (I did have a cane pole as a kid, of course, and it was just swinging the hook and bobber a little ways out from shore). Tenkara is an overhead casting technique, and some of those Japanese masters can cast about 50 feet (Daniel Galhardo has some distance casting videos). Of course if you hook a fish at that distance you are then handline fishing! In my experience it is best for 20-25 foot casts or less, and great in the kayak where distance isn't as much of an issue. I can cast under brush with a sidearm cast, same as with a regular fly rod.

By the way, not all tenkara and tenkara-style rods are 3-wt equivalents or less. As the sport has evolved, companies are making heavier rods suitable for carp and the like, and some people have even caught small tarpon and bonefish on tenkara-style rods.

Funny thing though: it is my understanding is that most fly fishers in Japan use "western" fly rods, and tenkara rods are sold more in the USA.

13. Likes dennyk liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    What it won't do as well as a "western" rod is cast under overhanging brush.
    Certainly it will. I only fish tenkara a few times a year, but casting (sidearm) under overhanging branches is a big part of when I do.

The big difference (to me) between a tenkara rod and a "crappie pole" is that you actually cast the former. 35 feet may be too far away, but 20-25 is easy, and that's often enough.
    Bob

15. Likes dennyk liked this post

I'm curious to know how this experiment works out. I have a friend with similar difficulties. Getting him back out on the water would be a very good thing.

17. Likes dennyk liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by patrick62 View Post
    I'm curious to know how this experiment works out. I have a friend with similar difficulties. Getting him back out on the water would be a very good thing.
    I'm interested too. Mobility on the stream bank would be the tricky part here. I take a few elderly folks crappie fishing annually. I use spinning gear and all I have to do is get them into the boat. The real challenge is actually getting them out of their easy chair and put a little trust in me that it's going to be fine, and actually fun. My 86yr old stepfather was not hearing it. Buy them a one day license, then add a day or two of guilt trip on them if necessary, and they figure out they are going out for some mandatory fun whether they like it or not. A little advance scouting the spot you are going to fish isn't a bad idea either. I don't feel like I do enough for humanity, but this is my thing and it makes me very happy.

19. Likes dennyk liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast