Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  21
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default Re: Tenkara Rod Help For A disabled Friend

A couple of questions: how big are the typical browns and does need to reach across the entire 20 ft stream? I just caught 12-14 inch browns in moderate flows (Rapid Creek, SD) with a Tenkarabum 40 and a Dragontail 370. Neither would reach the 20 ft with a sizable drift. I assume someone will be fishing with your friend to manage netting?

2. Likes dennyk liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tenkara Rod Help For A disabled Friend

Just an update on the Tenkara rod for my friend. After 2 failed ordering attempts I had to bite the bullet and found one at Cabela's. The rod I got is a Kodomo Creek Wetfly with a lifetime warranty. It's adjustable for 3 lengths, 8'10",9'9" and 10'6". It should be perfect for the stream in Jeff's backyard. I got the chance to fish it yesterday just to know how to explain it to Jeff. That was my first time with this type of rod as well. He's not going to have any problems with it.

I'm going to show his neighbors how to use it as well so they can wet a line with Jeff when I'm not there. I wanted to give it to him today but we have heavy rain and T-storms on the way so I'll be presenting him with it tomorrow. Greatly looking forward to it!

Thanks again to all for your help!!

Denny
    Last edited by dennyk; 09-22-2019 at 09:06 AM.

4. Likes ia_trouter liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2b View Post
    A couple of questions: how big are the typical browns and does need to reach across the entire 20 ft stream? I just caught 12-14 inch browns in moderate flows (Rapid Creek, SD) with a Tenkarabum 40 and a Dragontail 370. Neither would reach the 20 ft with a sizable drift. I assume someone will be fishing with your friend to manage netting?
    No he does not have to reach across the stream and bigger fish are 12-14 inch Brown Trout. And yes , either I or Jeff's neighbors will be fishing with him.

Denny

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    I'm interested too. Mobility on the stream bank would be the tricky part here. I take a few elderly folks crappie fishing annually. I use spinning gear and all I have to do is get them into the boat. The real challenge is actually getting them out of their easy chair and put a little trust in me that it's going to be fine, and actually fun. My 86yr old stepfather was not hearing it. Buy them a one day license, then add a day or two of guilt trip on them if necessary, and they figure out they are going out for some mandatory fun whether they like it or not. A little advance scouting the spot you are going to fish isn't a bad idea either. I don't feel like I do enough for humanity, but this is my thing and it makes me very happy.
    Good for you! Giving the elderly something to look forward to surely improves the quality of life. Jeff will be fishing from a folding chair as he does have mobility problems with his left side. If he wants to fish a different spot either myself or his neighbors will help relocate him.

Denny

7. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

You're a good friend.
    Bob

9. Likes dennyk liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    Just an update on the Tenkara rod for my friend. After 2 failed ordering attempts I had to bite the bullet and found one at Cabela's. The rod I got is a Kodomo Creek Wetfly with a lifetime warranty. It's adjustable for 3 lengths, 8'10",9'9" and 10'6". It should be perfect for the stream in Jeff's backyard. I got the chance to fish it yesterday just to know how to explain it to Jeff. That was my first time with this type of rod as well. He's not going to have any problems with it.

I'm going to show his neighbors how to use it as well so they can wet a line with Jeff when I'm not there. I wanted to give it to him today but we have heavy rain and T-storms on the way so I'll be presenting him with it tomorrow. Greatly looking forward to it!

Thanks again to all for your help!!

Denny
    We had a break in the rain and I ran the rod over to Jeff yesterday.

My friend Jeff took to the Tenkara rod without any problems and is back fly fishing again. He couldn't believe how easy it was to cast, this just turned out right! I pre-tied a bunch of tippets with flies to be attached with a loop to loop connection so he doesn't have to tie any knots. Also got his neighbors Bill & Judy familiar with the rod as well.

Sometimes God just puts you in the right place at the right time!

Denny

11. Likes ia_trouter, Redbrook liked this post

Those are good rods. I have the 8 and 12 foot versions

13. Likes dennyk liked this post

One suggestion I'll make to perhaps make life a bit simpler for your friend. The one thing tenkara rods excel at is precise presentation. A number of folks fish only a fly pattern or two, maybe changing only size as the seasons progress. It keeps the need to change flies down to a minimum.

You want to fish a generic pattern, something pretty plain that looks like alot of different food items. Rather than change flies when figuring out what the fish are eating, change your presentation. Try dead drift, surface skate, swing, Leisenring Lift, dapple, etc.

Many folks comment on how many more fish they catch fishing a fixed length line. I think in part because they spend more time fishing, less time fussing with equipment.

Based on the places you describe, your friend will not be at any sort of disadvantage when it comes to catching fish.

Have fun with your friend.
    Last edited by pszy22; 10-28-2019 at 03:48 AM.

The more you know, the less you need.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

15. Thanks dennyk thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

I've fished with Jeff now 3 times, he has yet to catch a fish, but his enthusiasm is going strong. I do have a feeling his luck in landing a fish is going to change. I've gotten permission from private and city landowners to drive my truck to different parts of the stream side to drop him off and get him set up in his folding chair to fish. This will open up another 1/4 mile of stream he will have access to.

I sure hope he gets into that BIG Brown Trout I lost about a week ago!

Denny

17. Likes ia_trouter, Redbrook liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123