Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Default My first Tenkara

My wife bought me a Dragontail zoom 340 for Christmas. Been western fishing for 50 years.

What is a 10 minute approach from the house in the summer is now 30 with snowshoes and deep snow.
    Devil Creek, 6 feet wide, steep pocket water. Up in Dunagan Canyon overgrown. Which makes for the best fishing.

Upon arrival I find the canyon is not fishable. Too much ice. So head downstream. The water opens up with the land. The creek runs almost North to South. Not much sun this time of year but I had to try out my new rod and craft. Y'all understand.

I ended up fishing a 16 beadhead hares ear. Caught 3 small brookies and missed as many. One was a nice rainbow, maybe 12 inches. Popped off 2 feet away.

So much fun working a new approach.

2. Likes tcorfey, gillage, lookard, djfan, dennyk liked this post

Default Re: My first Tenkara

Nice rod isn't it? What kind of line did you put on it?

I fished 8 feet of 3.5 level line and 3 feet of 5x.
    The rod came with the level line as part of a kit.

Hard for me to judge the rod with this being my first time. Quality seems high for the price. I tried it at all 3 lengths and enjoyed discovering what is possible at the different lengths. At its shortest it felt quite stiff casting. Maybe this is typical with zoom rods. Not enough experience for me to say.

It was a beautiful day with a gorgeous little spring creek all to myself. I was shadowed by a raven for about an hour but other than that it was just me and a few fish.

Tomorrow I am headed down to fish the San Juan below the dam. I will take a western rod as well but am very curious to cast the Tenkara to these fish.

I wasn't going to fish today but...
    a meeting I had scheduled for this afternoon fell through.
    Down to Devil Creek. The weather has been great all week with temps in the 40s. Today was only mid 30s but sunny and inviting. Couldn't resist.

Upon arrival at the beautiful little spring creek I find I have walked into a midge hatch. Perfect. I plop down on the bank and munch on my ham and cheese sandwich wondering what to tie on. Settle on a 14 kebari. Why not. Have yet to catch a fish on one and dimples are caressing the small pool in front of me. On my 4th cast I have a fish on. Love the drift one can achieve with Tenkara. A ten inch rainbow shimmering and bright.

The rest of the day brought 5 more fish to the kebari and a Griffiths gnat, one of my favorite flies which I just had to try.

My wife says I was glowing when I walked in the door. I said it was from the exertion of snowshoeing home but deep inside I knew it was something else

I wasn't going to fish today but...
    a meeting I had scheduled for this afternoon fell through.
    Down to Devil Creek. The weather has been great all week with temps in the 40s. Today was only mid 30s but sunny and inviting. Couldn't resist.

Upon arrival at the beautiful little spring creek I find I have walked into a midge hatch. Perfect. I plop down on the bank and munch on my ham and cheese sandwich wondering what to tie on. Settle on a 14 kebari. Why not. Have yet to catch a fish on one and dimples are caressing the small pool in front of me. On my 4th cast I have a fish on. Love the drift one can achieve with Tenkara. A ten inch rainbow shimmering and bright.

The rest of the day brought 5 more fish to the kebari and a Griffiths gnat, one of my favorite flies which I just had to try.
    Fished the whole day at full rod length.

My wife says I was glowing when I walked in the door. I said it was from the exertion of snowshoeing home but deep inside I knew it was something else

Not sure why that double posted. Can't figure out how to delete the repeat. Any ideas?
    Thanks, Hayden

Great day last Monday on the San Juan down in New Mexico.
    Perfect overcast conditions had the fish active on midge early and BWO after noon.

10' of 3.5 level line to 3' of 6x with #20 midge pupa in the morning to #20 parachute Adams in a light olive for the afternoon. Fished the rod at it's full extension of 11' 9" .
    Caught some nice fish up to 18 inches in the net. The rod handled them no problem. One brown that was maybe 24 inches got the best of me though. Need to improve my Tenkara landing skills for fish that size

I will post a Tenkara noob review on the rod in the current Dragontail 340 zoom thread started by patrick62 for anyone one interested.
    Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Creek View Post
    Great day last Monday on the San Juan down in New Mexico.
    Perfect overcast conditions had the fish active on midge early and BWO after noon.

10' of 3.5 level line to 3' of 6x with #20 midge pupa in the morning to #20 parachute Adams in a light olive for the afternoon. Fished the rod at it's full extension of 11' 9" .
    Caught some nice fish up to 18 inches in the net. The rod handled them no problem. One brown that was maybe 24 inches got the best of me though. Need to improve my Tenkara landing skills for fish that size

I will post a Tenkara noob review on the rod in the current Dragontail 340 zoom thread started by patrick62 for anyone one interested.
    Hayden
    do you use split shot? where in the rig if you do?

I fished as if I was using a regular fly rod. Flourocarbon for nymphing and a 6 or 7 split shot about 18 inches up the tippet. Zebra style beadhead pupa.