Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Travel Tips Section Post your travel tips here

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 04-10-2017, 02:24 PM

joshkelly4247 is on a distinguished road
Default Indian Creek Utah

Headed to Indian Creek may 7-12 for a rock climbing/fishing trip. Hopefuly get some days on the green river and the colorado river. Any info on fly shops or the water would be appreciated.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:33 PM

jayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant future
Default Re: Indian Creek Utah

Fly Fishing On The Green River in Utah
Old 04-10-2017, 04:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Josh
Keep an eye on the USGS Water Data site. Right now the Green below Flaming Gorge is running just below 9000 cfs, normally this time of year it is around 2000 cfs.
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/uv?site_no=09234500

The Green below Fontenelle reservoir in WY is running just under 6000 cfs where normally this time of year it is under 1500 cfs.
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/wy/nwis/u...cd=00065,00060

I think what is happening is the folks managing the reservoirs are concerned with how big spring runoff will be this year and are dumping water from those two reservoirs much earlier then normal.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes cpiercem, spt2 liked this post
Old 04-11-2017, 12:02 PM

spt2 is on a distinguished road

mcnerny +1. I fished the Green below Flaming Gorge Dam (A Section) just last week, from a drift boat - highest flows I'd ever seen, the trail between the dam and Little Hole was under water. It was like fishing a much bigger river! We were getting into fish though, and one of our party caught a few fish wading around Little Hole, but wading can be treacherous at these flows. Fishing can still be good though.

With respect to the Green, there's a fly shop at the Flaming Gorge Lodge, and two fly shops in Dutch John, you won't have any issues getting setup with local know-how and flies.

Never fished Indian Creek - if you are in the Green River/Dutch John area and want to try something different, you could try Jones Hole, about an hour away. It's a small brushy spring creek that runs down a picturesque canyon with Indian petroglyphs... good fishing for rainbows, browns, and I think brooks. There's a fish hatchery at the top of the canyon. I don't think it gets fished very hard.

One other option - get a float tube and fish Flaming Gorge Reservoir. The day after our float on the Green, we hit the reservoir at Antelope Flat, did pretty good for big rainbows, I don't think we caught anything under 20". Really, we didn't even need float tubes, all my fish were hooked up maybe 20 feet from shore. Never fished it in May though, conditions could be different.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes cpiercem liked this post
Old 04-16-2017, 10:50 PM

dryfter is on a distinguished road

I believe Indian Creek is down near Moab. World class rock climbing. Not sure about the fishing down there, but the climbing should be great. It is now part of the newly created Bears Ear National Monument.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

"Omnis Cedo Domus"

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad." - A.K. Best
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes cpiercem liked this post
Old 04-21-2017, 11:21 AM

woolyworm is on a distinguished road

Indian Creek is a long way from the trout waters of the Colorado and Green. It is the dry hot desert down there.