Reels in Hand Luggage

camelbrass

Reaction score
I get to travel a fair bit and fortuitously often find my rods packed in my luggage, just in case!

A trend over the last few years when travelling internationally has been for security to refuse reels as carry-on items, or more specifically the fly lines and backing on the reels. I have had the experience of having to help a fellow fisherman strip his reels of expensive fly lines and 300 metres of backing and throw them away, thankfully at the end of a trip. I've also stopped carrying rods as carry-on because, although I've not been stopped, I have been challenged and really don't want a couple of grands worth of rods 'disappearing' between the boarding gate and the luggage carousel.

I believe the situation has not yet arisen in the US but if you travel extensively overseas you will run up against it sooner or later. The problem is also difficult to isolate to a destination or carrier since it also seems to be somewhat at the discretion of the individual security officer.

I know that lots of us like carrying our gear as carry-on but it's time for a plan B.

Regards,

Trevor

duker

Reaction score
I always travel with one reel (with backing and line) in my carry-on, just in case my checked bag doesn't make it, and I've never had an issue. My other reels in their foam cases go into my boots (either wading or flats) along with a pair of socks. They've always arrived safe and sound.

I also carry on my rods, all in a home made PVC tube covered with stickers so it looks less threatening. I've had a few airport security staff ask me to open the tube and show them the rods--and got into some interesting fishing coversations with a couple of them--but never had a problem taking them on board.

Whenever I fly somewhere to go fly fishing (usually somewhere tropical) I always bring a reel, leaders and tippets, fishing clothing (nylon shirt and pants, hat, buff, and wading socks) in my carry-on. Along with my rods, I'm ready with pretty much everything except flies if my checked bags are lost or delayed.

I suppose Plan B for me would just be to use a duffel bag big enough to fit all of my clothing and gear, plus my rod tube, then check it and hope it arrives.

Scott

corn fed fins

Reaction score
International flights have become a problem. I've had "encounters" with carry on rods but never with a reel. I am going to Alaska in just a couple of weeks. The nice thing is flying domestically there is not as much TSA intrusion, and Alaska Airlines has no problem with rods and reels....not yet.

It's getting to the point that it would be wise for lodges to just have an arsenal of rods and reels. Like many have also written that one can always mail one's gear, though I'm not to sure about mailing my gear to some backwater.

The days of B.Y.O.R.&B are closing. Pity. I can remember opening my own beer once on a domestic flight (I was young, give me a break). Didn't go over too well but it didn't cause an emergency landing or end with me in cuffs and placed on a no fly list. Just a "Sir, I'll need to take that. You can purchase a beverage soon after take-off". Oh the agony. lol

myt1

Reaction score
Whenever I fly somewhere to go fly fishing (usually somewhere tropical) I always bring a reel, leaders and tippets, fishing clothing (nylon shirt and pants, hat, buff, and wading socks) in my carry-on. Along with my rods, I'm ready with pretty much everything except flies if my checked bags are lost or delayed.

I suppose Plan B for me would just be to use a duffel bag big enough to fit all of my clothing and gear, plus my rod tube, then check it and hope it arrives.
The first paragraph above seems like really good advise.

As far as Plan B, be very careful trying to check a large duffel. They have very strict size regulations and if your baggage exceeds airline limitations they will charge you through the nose to check your baggage.

I am still livid about a trip I took almost a year ago. My duffel was over-sized and they charged me more to check my bag than I paid for my ticket. They said my bag required extra handling, yet it was placed on the conveyor when they took my bag and it arrived on the carousel just like any other bag.

By the way, golf clubs and skis travel for free and they do require special handling and do not arrive on the carousel.

They did let me carry my rod on board for no charge. If there would not have been room for it they would've checked it at the gate like some people check baby strollers, and my rod would've been returned to me as I exited the plane.

I'm sure at some point rods will be looked at as a new profit center for the airlines and they will charge through the nose to check them.

Just as an aside I once had a guy show me his larger hand tied streamer flies that he carried on. This was only a year or so ago. These flies had pretty big hooks on them, but the airline didn't seem to mind.

Last edited:

denver1911

Reaction score
Rods/reels were carried on to/from Belize last week. Just another data point. Delta.

baconcrusader

Reaction score
I travel a fair bit domestically for work [+60k miles a year] and have TSA PreCheck. I think that may give an advantage on these types of things. I try and always have a rod/reel, waders, boots, and a butt-pack crammed with stuff with me during trout season. I've not had any issues getting through TSA with the rod/reel in a carrier thus far, not even a side ways glance in smaller airports. I typically carry a 5-piece so it's pretty short, but even my 3 piece bamboo rod didn't raise an eyebrow.

--edited for clarity-- I do check my pack with flies and my waders/boots. But carry-on my rod/reel.

denver1911

Reaction score
As another data point re: flies: I have traveled by air (domestically and internationally) while carrying on flies (saltwater, up to size 2), three times this year without question.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I too have no issues with domestic US carry-on of rods and reels. In fact, on the TSA website is a page encouraging carry-on of valuable tackle (I've printed it out and it resides in my carry-on along with reels and cameras etc.). International security may vary and it is important to keep abreast of such developments.

darkshadow

Reaction score
I've had to check them in because of the line and backing, on domestic flights.

Apparently you can strangle someone with it, according to the TSA agent.

kevind62

Reaction score
It would be interesting to know where you encounter this the most as I too travel abroad from the US to overseas counties. I travel to Russia, Kazakhstan, India, Nederlands, France, Africa, Italy, UK, and China. I've carried my equipment with me on numerous occasions on times that I have a fishing trip planned as a stopover on my return trip home. I've never run in to this problem upon arrival or departure. I've carried both rod tubes with rods only and my reels in my backpack, and carried rod & reel combo tubes. I have had one security check point in KZ look at the x-ray screen a bit puzzled at my rod & reel combo tube. He'd never seen a fly rod and reel before. I told him in Russian (predominant language there) "fishing equipment" and he smiled and said "khorosho". :) You don't have to speak their language fluently, but I have found that if you take the time to learn a few words (especially to describe something you think might be an issue) they see you a less of a "foreigner". It's been my experience that they see that as a sign of respect from you (not to say this is always the case for everyone. Just my experience). Also, never argue with them and be as over-cooperative as possible offering more than what they're asking ( I open my entire bag if they want to look in and offer spots they don't ask to see in to show I'm being honest and open.) This has helped always. I see people arguing with them and it only makes it worse. You are challenging their authority and making them look inferior. This is never good if you're an "outsider".

these go to 11

Reaction score
I've had to check them in because of the line and backing, on domestic flights.

Apparently you can strangle someone with it, according to the TSA agent.
I would have asked the agent if everyone on the plane could keep their shoe laces as you could strangle someone with those as well. Gotta love governmental organization logic.

kevind62

Reaction score
Forgot to add one thing. I've also bought fly fishing equipment here in the US for a colleague who lives in France and brought it in to him when we are working together in one these countries with no problems and he's made it home with no problems. Everything from flies, rods, reels with line and backing, leaders, extra line, rod tubes, and even a landing net. All as carry-on. Simple things like this usually cost at least double for them in EU due to VAT, shipping, and stuff.

The only quirk was the landing net. I had it stuffed in my back-pack. The security guy in Moscow smiled and made a motion indicating he was asking if it was a tennis raquet. I think he was smiling because I probably didn't look like your typical "lean" tennis player. :D I chuckled and said "nyet" , "rybolovnaya set' " (fish net). He laughed back, shook my hand and sent me on my way.

camelbrass

Reaction score
The episode with the reels having to be stripped at the departure gate happened in Victoria airport on Mahe, Seychelles. I've had conventional reels, well the spools anyway as the line is the problem, removed from hand luggage in Dubai and Australia.

Part of the problem is that it seems to be hit and miss. I had a friend who always took rods on board traveling to Scandinavia, without a problem. Last week, same airport and carrier, he had to check them.

Regards,

Trevor

Last edited:

kevind62

Reaction score
The episode with the reels having to be stripped at the departure gate happened in Victoria airport on Mahe, Seychelles. I've had conventional reels, well the spools anyway as the line is the problem, removed from hand luggage in Dubai and Australia.

Part of the problem is that it seems to be hit and miss. I had a friend who always took rods on board traveling to Scandinavia, without a problem. Last week, same airport and carrier, he had to check them.

Regards,

Trevor
I have colleagues that work in Saudi that have had their golf clubs confiscated. After about a week and some phone calls from nationals they worked with they were able to retrieve them.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
Be warned about any flights within and out of Australia...ALL fishing equipment from rods,reels,lines,backing,hooks,hook hones,flies etc.etc.cannot be carried in your carry-on luggage,it must go in your big bag that goes in the hold of the aircraft:eek:
Cheers

robinfick

Reaction score
After a couple of incidences in Africa, where I stay and Europe, my fishing tackle all goes in my check in baggage. I purchased a hard travel case that takes my rods diagonally - it is a pvc down pipe which holds four rods easily and five at a pinch. The rod tubes stay at home this saving weight for other fishing equipment and clothing.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
This is a timely thread for me as I will be traveling abroad to some of the places mentioned this autumn. Though I've had no issues carrying on my rods in a hard travel tube and reels with lines in my carry on bag in the US or Bahamas/Caribbean, I intend to strive to fit them in a checked duffle for this exotic trip.

Has anyone experienced issues with carrying on DSLR cameras and lenses in the middle east or Africa? I can check a reel but my Nikon...no.

camelbrass

Reaction score
S and S, cameras are no problem. The guy I fish with takes an SLR and lenses in a Pelican case wherever he goes without any problems

Regards,

Trevor

cwb124

Reaction score
Never would have thought US domestic flights would be so much better than internationl with regards to fishing equipment.

I always carry on my reel case with 2 reels and line, fly boxes, and 2 rod tubes in my backpack and i've not once had an issue. Worst case if my luggage is lost I would need to buy waders and wading boots and some clothes. Far better than rebuying reels and rods.