Headed to Colorado

calcio1020

Reaction score
A friend and I are headed to Colorado from Tennessee for a low budget fly fishing/camping trip and I was wondering if any of you could help me out. I'd like to hit some of the gold medal waters and have some shots at some large trout. I know the South Platte is an option, both the Dream Stream area as well as Cheesman Canyon so I was thinking of hitting that for a couple days. But does anyone have any experience on Gore Creek/Eagle River? From the photos, Gore Creek seems very small and this concerns me. I just want to make sure there is ample opportunity for some good sized fish before I drive that direction. Also, any other suggestions are definitely welcome! Thanks in advance!

kevind62

Reaction score
I've fished the Eagle, Roaring Fork, Blue, and Frying Pan. Cought "ZERO" fish. But, I was a greenhorn on my first ever fly trip and by myself. I think the fish were playing pitch and catch with my flies as I watched my indicator happily float down the river not knowing what to look for. Since then I've taken McNerney's "Fly Fishing For Redneck Dummies" (He had to develop a special course for me since I'm problably not as quick to catch on as most) :teef:

Since then, I've been catching fish every where I go. I'm ready to get back to those rivers and exact my revenge.

Having said that, I've fished the South Platte at 11 Mile Canyon and Deckers. Caught some nice browns at Deckers. Nice rainbows at 11 Mile Canyon and a 20" cutty at 11 Mile Canyon. Both are awesome. Beautiful scenery. For 11 Mile Canyon you're required a day pass to get in the park. $6 per day self serve at the gate. Easy access at 11 Mile Canyon. Can be a little difficult at times at Deckers. Might have to scale a steep hillside to get down to the water in some spots. But fish are plentiful. The Catch & Release zone at 11 Mile Canyon close to the dam is fantastic. But there are fish everywhere. They get a little spooky as the sun gets up late morning through mid-day.

Several campsites at 11 Mile canyon. Not sure about Deckers. Wasn't camping so didn't really pay attention.

Lots of good fishing reports on the Eagle, Roaring Fork, Frying Pan, Colorado, South Platte, and Blue on the forum.

Last edited:

calcio1020

Reaction score
I've fished the Eagle, Roaring Fork, Blue, and Frying Pan. Cought "ZERO" fish. But, I was a greenhorn on my first ever fly trip and by myself. I think the fish were playing pitch and catch with my flies as I watched my indicator happily float down the river not knowing what to look for. Since then I've taken McNerney's "Fly Fishing For Redneck Dummies" (He had to develop a special course for me since I'm problably not as quick to catch on as most) :teef:

Since then, I've been catching fish every where I go. I'm ready to get back to those rivers and exact my revenge.

Having said that, I've fished the South Platte at 11 Mile Canyon and Deckers. Caught some nice browns at Deckers. Nice rainbows at 11 Mile Canyon and a 20" cutty at 11 Mile Canyon. Both are awesome. Beautiful scenery. For 11 Mile Canyon you're required a day pass to get in the park. $6 per day self serve at the gate. Easy access at 11 Mile Canyon. Can be a little difficult at times at Deckers. Might have to scale a steep hillside to get down to the water in some spots. But fish are plentiful. The Catch & Release zone at 11 Mile Canyon close to the dam is fantastic. But there are fish everywhere. They get a little spooky as the sun gets up late morning through mid-day.

Several campsites at 11 Mile canyon. Not sure about Deckers. Wasn't camping so didn't really pay attention.

Lots of good fishing reports on the Eagle, Roaring Fork, Frying Pan, Colorado, South Platte, and Blue on the forum.
Haha I'm sure you'd crush it on those rivers now! Thanks!

scotty macfly

Reaction score
If it's Gold Medal water you want, how does 100 miles of Gold Medal water sound to you. The Arkansas River from Leadville to Canon City. Dry fly heaven, and there are some big fish. One of the tricks is using tandem streamers. Also below the dam in Pueblo is good, and the chance of tangling into a large fish is in the high percent range.

But since you mentioned the Eagle, I know that it gets less pressure than the surrounding rivers like the Frying Pan, Blue, and Roaring Fork.

Rainbows have come back in the lower sections, and from it's confluence with Gore Creek, the Eagle holds small browns. From Avon to Wolcott rainbows share the water with the browns, and below Wolcott it's pretty much just rainbows averaging from 12 to 16 inches with a few up around 18 inches.
Gore Creek 3 miles upstream to Red Sandstone Creek holds rainbows, browns, and cutthroats around 16 inches. Dry flies are effective all summer.

calcio1020

Reaction score
The Fryingpan and Roaring Fork are two I'm considering as well if anyone wants to chime in. I'd like to fish some gold medal water and not have to fight too many crowds (I realize that's kind of difficult in the summer).

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

If it's Gold Medal water you want, how does 100 miles of Gold Medal water sound to you. The Arkansas River from Leadville to Canon City. Dry fly heaven, and there are some big fish. One of the tricks is using tandem streamers. Also below the dam in Pueblo is good, and the chance of tangling into a large fish is in the high percent range.

But since you mentioned the Eagle, I know that it gets less pressure than the surrounding rivers like the Frying Pan, Blue, and Roaring Fork.

Rainbows have come back in the lower sections, and from it's confluence with Gore Creek, the Eagle holds small browns. From Avon to Wolcott rainbows share the water with the browns, and below Wolcott it's pretty much just rainbows averaging from 12 to 16 inches with a few up around 18 inches.
Gore Creek 3 miles upstream to Red Sandstone Creek holds rainbows, browns, and cutthroats around 16 inches. Dry flies are effective all summer.
100 miles of gold medal water sounds great! Is there a catch? Difficult access?

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Nope. No catch. There are many, many areas in sheep canyon between Salida and Canon City to park and the river is right there. Get a CO. State Park Pass!! That's about the only thing I can say that would be a catch. But then with a pass ( I believe you can purchase one at a grocery store like King Soopers ) you can travel up and down river. Some spots you don't need a pass. In the morning and evenings, look for the Rocky Mountain Sheep across the river.

There will be others fishing, but there always is. Though you will find plenty of areas where there is room. Shouldn't be bad on weekdays.

The Frying Pan & Roaring Fork always has people fishing. I stay away from those rivers because of that reason. But when I fish the Arkansas, I generally fish inside the Canon City city limits. I grew up on that river and know some areas that can produce BIG fish, but you're gonna work for them. Sometimes I will venture up river, and again, I find plenty of room. And like I mentioned, access is very easy.

If there is anything more about the Ark. you'd like to know, send me a PM.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
The Fryingpan and Roaring Fork are two I'm considering as well if anyone wants to chime in. I'd like to fish some gold medal water and not have to fight too many crowds (I realize that's kind of difficult in the summer).

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

100 miles of gold medal water sounds great! Is there a catch? Difficult access?

The Arkansas is a great river, beautiful scenery and lots of fish. Probably not as many "lunkers" as a river like the Pan, but I'm sure there are some in there. There are 5-6 basic state run campgrounds (Look up AHRA) in the Buena Vista/Salida area that are all on or close to the river. There are also a few BLM lands you can camp for free as well, but not on the river.

Some private land but it's well marked and tons of public access that's easy to get to. ArkAnglers runs two fly shops in the towns mentioned above, stop in either for some advice. (Spoiler alert...they'll tell you hopper-dropper. Lol)

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Low post count but long member so here's my abbreviated thought:

The Arkansas canyon is a great fishery but with the monsoons hitting it can get off color in a hurry unless you stay up high. The Arkansas canyon offers super easy access as Hwy 50 runs along it from Salida to the beginning of the Royal Gorge Park. In other words you get to listen to the highway all day plus the huge amount of white water rafters, BUT it's a productive river. Get above Salida towards Browns Canyon and you will hear no highway but there will still be rafters(They are usually very courteous). Below Pueblo Reservoir there are some good fish but it's a short section. (Bring your sidearm as you're near Pueblo. lol)

Cheeseman Canyon is a good fishery. This canyon and other South Platte canyons are on Denver's and Colorado Springs' doorsteps so expect company and some decent fishing as well.

Dream Stream section...crowded.

Taylor River (CnR section)...crowded

Blue River at Silverthorne...crowded
BUT, as you head further north on the Blue there are usually few anglers and the evening dry fly fishing is spectacular. Bring the DEET! Fish this as you head toward the Colorado R.!

Frying Pan (Toilet Bowl)...crowded

Roaring Fork...Always people but you will not be rubbing elbows. Great fishery with chances of hooking quality fish. Not a bad choice.

If you're looking for ample opportunity for multiple hook ups on +20" fish, I would focus on the Colorado R. and the Gunnison R.. These two rivers offer the highest density of big fish. Colorado R. is really a float river from the Pump House down but can be accessed through trails and along Tough Rd.. Gunnison R. has vehicle access prior to Blue Mesa and at Pleasure Park(Lower end of the Black Canyon), in between it's trail access only.

Good luck!

calcio1020

Reaction score

The Arkansas canyon is a great fishery but with the monsoons hitting it can get off color in a hurry unless you stay up high. The Arkansas canyon offers super easy access as Hwy 50 runs along it from Salida to the beginning of the Royal Gorge Park. In other words you get to listen to the highway all day plus the huge amount of white water rafters, BUT it's a productive river. Get above Salida towards Browns Canyon and you will hear no highway but there will still be rafters(They are usually very courteous). Below Pueblo Reservoir there are some good fish but it's a short section. (Bring your sidearm as you're near Pueblo. lol)

Cheeseman Canyon is a good fishery. This canyon and other South Platte canyons are on Denver's and Colorado Springs' doorsteps so expect company and some decent fishing as well.

BUT, as you head further north on the Blue there are usually few anglers and the evening dry fly fishing is spectacular. Bring the DEET! Fish this as you head toward the Colorado R.!

Roaring Fork...Always people but you will not be rubbing elbows. Great fishery with chances of hooking quality fish. Not a bad choice.

If you're looking for ample opportunity for multiple hook ups on +20" fish, I would focus on the Colorado R. and the Gunnison R.. These two rivers offer the highest density of big fish. Colorado R. is really a float river from the Pump House down but can be accessed through trails and along Tough Rd.. Gunnison R. has vehicle access prior to Blue Mesa and at Pleasure Park(Lower end of the Black Canyon), in between it's trail access only.

Good luck!
Wow. Very thorough. Thank you so much.

winstonwt

Reaction score
You need to fish the fryingpan,head up there on a weekday,6x,7x tippets,and stay into the evening to catch the rusty spinner fall,AWESOME.And besides that the crowds are not there.

scotty macfly

Reaction score

Good luck!

I second this advice.

Bring your side arm as you near Pueblo, ha, ha, ha......yeah; you may want to do that. :D

Other than that, this is good advice from corn fed fins.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
You need to fish the fryingpan,head up there on a weekday,6x,7x tippets,and stay into the evening to catch the rusty spinner fall,AWESOME.And besides that the crowds are not there.
If they do the Roaring Fork, the Pan is always an option just up the road.
Anymore, weekdays mean nothing on tailwaters. Tourism and 5.5 million in the state took care of that. lol It's just a gamble but I agree with it being a worthy gamble.