Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Travel Tips Section Post your travel tips here

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 08-14-2017, 09:35 PM

johnjohnstontn is on a distinguished road
Default Fairbanks AK late august

I have a business trip to Fairbanks and a window of time to fish. I won't have time to wander far from the Fairbanks area. Looking for any and all advice. Type of fish, good fly shops, ideal rod size for local streams, the right clothing for the weather, etc. I live in TN and mainly fish tailwaters so this will be an exciting experience.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fairbanks AK late august

I haven't been there since the late 80's, but the Grayling fishing used to be stellar on the Chena river, just follow the Chena road out east 15-20 miles and try to park in a spot where you have to hike to the river, the pullouts right on the river used to get hit pretty hard. A 3 or 4 wt rod would be perfect, throwing small dries.
I couldn't remember the local fly shop, so I Googled fly shops and apparently it has closed, doesn't surprise me as the owner was at retirement age when I left, he ran a really nice shop.
I did find this one, but have no knowledge about it:
Fairbanks (Interior) | Alaska Fly Shop

Edit: Don't forget the mosquito repellant and don't bother with the 40% DEET variety or they will carry you off.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks johnjohnstontn thanked for this post
Old 08-26-2017, 12:09 AM

johnjohnstontn is on a distinguished road

Well the grayling fishing in the Chena was awesome. I hired a guide. Lee with akrivertours.com. He had us on fish right from the beginning. Some drift some wade. Caught more when we waded and hit pockets but stayed busy the entire time.

Float was 5 miles and we saw a bald eagle, beavers, and moose. We started with terrestrials and they got hammered. Then when that bite tapered off we switched to egg patterns down low and they were hammered. Grayling are fun to catch.

I highly recommend a fishing trip to Alaska.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes littledavid123, quest4adv liked this post
Old 08-26-2017, 06:46 AM

quest4adv will become famous soon enoughquest4adv will become famous soon enough

My brother lives outside of Fairbanks, In North Pole of all places.

I visited him a few years ago, but never thought about fishing up there. Sounds like I may have to plan another trip. End of Aug, first of Sept was an AWESOME time to be up there. The weather was perfect!

Glad you had a great time!

Join our Meetup group: https://www.meetup.com/ABQ-Fly-Fishi...Fanatics-AFTF/