Airline Friendly Tips?

Red Owl

Reaction score
I'm in Florida, I want to fly to Oregon. I am afraid if the rod and reel get out of my hands- lost in route- so are there any airlines that are more accommodating for anglers bring rod and reel into passenger seat area? On the rods? 4 piece? 2 piece?
Thanks for any help.

Waders??? Buy in Oregon?

acorad

Reaction score
I just pack my reels in my carry-on luggage. I put my rod tube in the coat closet.

Just remember to get the rod tube on your way off the plane!

Andy

flytie09

Reaction score
I would suggest:

-bringing a larger carry on and put on your waders, boots, flies, sling pack, etc in it.
- Bring a back pack... and bring your tablet, cords, snacks, etc and pack your reel in it.
- bring a 4 piece rod. It will fit in almost any planes overhead. Don't let them give you a hard time, state your case calmly... but do not check your rod or reel in any way... period!. 2 piecers you have to worry about it fitting in overhead. They don't always offer you the luxury of using the closet space or tucking in bulkhead or in behind 1st class or dead last seat.
- pack you clothes in a larger checked bag

I travel frequently so I get free checked bag on most any airline.

Be careful about the rod..... all airlines (depends on where you are, size of plane, or who had a bad day) as they will want to check your rod as they will try to say you have 3 carry on items. Give them the larger carry on bag to check it. That way you can keep your eyes and hands on your reel and rod at all times.

This is how I travel.

ft09

fr8dog

Reaction score
American has been the only airline that considered my rods as separate carry-ons. Normally I carry a roll on, a computer bag, and have 2 rod cases velcroed (velcrowed? velcrode?)....Stuck to the carry on bag. Everybody else lets them pass. I'm talking two 4 piece rods in 32" tubes. Reels, flies, extra goodies are in a carry on, also. I don't stay in one place for more than 12 hours so if they mess up, they'll never catch up to me.

al_a

Reaction score
Absolutely do NOT depend upon being able to use the coat closet or any other storage area other than the overhead bins! I've found very few airlines or planes where they were willing to let you use those other spaces for anything, unless you fly first class.

Pay attention to where your assigned seat is. Don't take the seats directly behind first class, since they do not have under-seat storage, and finding overhead bin space is a little more difficult.

Pay close attention to the type of plane you're flying. Smaller jets like those used by the regional airlines that partner with the major airlines often don't have overhead bins big enough to accommodate rod cases. In that case, you're going to have trouble trying to keep your rod cases with you sometimes.

Forget about two piece rods. The chances of carrying them on are fairly slim these days.

If you are carrying more than one 4 piece rod, see if you can get at least two rods in one case. Then, figure out how to strap the case to your carry-on bag, just in case they want to give you trouble about your number of carry-ons.

Airlines losing your luggage is always a danger, but in my flying I've had only a very few times when it happened. You can minimize the chances by picking flights with longer layovers (a half hour layover might not give them time to transfer your luggage), and getting to the airport 1.5 to 2 hours before take-off. Have a checked bag that is "normal" luggage style but big enough to fit your rod cases in, if you opt not to carry them on for whatever reason.

kevind62

Reaction score
I fly Delta. I've never had any issues with rods as carry-on. If I'm only carrying one (which is very rare) I'll put it and my net in my backpack and zip up. Have to tie off the two zippers once they meet at the rod tube and net handle. Looks a lot like a tennis backpack when I'm through. Actually had a security guy in an airport overseas ask me if I was a tennis player. I pointed to my stomach and shook my head. We both got a good laugh. But even when I'm carrying my 6" X 34" rod tube with four 4 piece rods and reels in it, I've never had to check it. I've flown some small hopper jets on short legs of a trip where you had to valet check your roll on and still didn't have to check my rod tubes.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I have only traveled on 3 or 4 airlines with rods. I've never had a problem with four piece rods. Always carried them on and never charged for an extra carry on. If I ever traveled with a two or one piece I would check the rules. They vary WIDELY and some will gouge you for additional checked bags if that is how it turns out. A bit off topic but Alaskan Airlines has some sportsman friendly rules. (as they should). You can check two rods and reels up to something like 7ft+, with a tackle box/bag and it is a $25 total charge. That is not a bad deal these days and they have a lot of flights out west.

amears

Reaction score
I have traveled on several different airlines with this
:Fishpond | Product | Detail | 45 Dakota Carry On Rod Reel Case | 2262

I can get up to six rods and reels in it, but usually only carry 3 4-piece rods and appropriate reels. The rest of the space I use for various fishing paraphernalia - anything other than knives or things that could be construed as "threatening." I have found that it will even fit in the bin of those smaller commuter airlines, although I have allowed it to be checked at the gate and never had any trouble. I usually try to tell the baggage guy to be aware that it is fragile fly fishing equipment, and please put it on last and take it off first. Worked so far.

Waders, boots, vest, fly boxes, etc all go in my checked bag - one big one.

Other than that, I carry on a brief bag with computer and stuff.

jjc155

Reaction score
Never had an issue flying with either Delta or American with rods/reels at carry on. Last time to Belize I had rods, reels, flies, and just about everything else other than my hatch pilers in my carry on. All my rods are 4 piece not sure if they would balk at a 2 piece.

I carry all my fishing stuff in an Orvis safe passage rod case. I leave the aluminum tubes at home since I figure if TSA is gonna be anal about something it might those plus I have heard of some international destinations where they will not allow them on the plane.

J-

duker

Reaction score
Some really good tips here. Also check out the "Reels in Hand Luggage" thread if you haven't already.

When I fly somewhere to fish I bring my rods (all four piece) in a homemade PVC tube that fits in the overhead bin (never had a problem bringing it on any airline), plus I have at least one reel, leaders/tippets, and some other critical gear in my carry-on. Obviously you can't bring hooks or knives or anything like that in your carry-on, but my suggestion is to bring as much as you can with you on the plane just in case your suitcase doesn't get off the plane when you do.

Scott