Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Travel Tips Section Post your travel tips here

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 09-03-2017, 09:53 AM

wisconsin jim is on a distinguished road
Default Glacier National Park

My wife and I are considering a mid-July 2018 trip to Glacier National Park in Montana. I assume the whole place is good for fly fishing, but are any lakes or streams particularly good? What fly shops are available there and I'd appreciate any guide recommendations. Also, is one of the park's lodges better located for fly fishing?
Old 09-03-2017, 08:44 PM

mtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nice
Default Re: Glacier National Park

Ok, the best lake fishing is on the East side. But the best river fishing is the west side...North and Middle Fork. No one that I know of guides fishing in the park, you will need a fishing license for both the North and Middle Forks. Glacier requires no fishing license, but your fishing mainly lakes, and their are lots of good ones, you just have to work for it by hiking to them. And for some reason, no one does wade fishing trips here either. Best guide service is Lakestream in Whitefish, in my opinion. Lodging? Well, if you lodge of the east side, their isn't much 'services' there, plus you are kind of captive as they are all park owned and operated and not cheap, but it is the most scenic part of the park. Lodging on the west side is plentiful, Kalispell, Columbia Falls, West Glacier, Whitefish...but you will want to hit Many Glacier at least one or two days. So, you either have amenities of the bigger areas on the west side or you spend a bit more on the east side.
Thanks wisconsin jim thanked for this post
Old 09-08-2017, 06:07 PM

wisconsin jim is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Glacier National Park

Generally, how would the fishing be in early August? Or late June?