Gun case travel tip

trowlan1

Reaction score
I know this isn't fly fishing related, but in January, I ran into an issue worth mentioning when coming back from a duck hunt in Texas. Packing my gun, I cased it exactly as specified in the TSA regulations (2 locks accessible by only you, can't be the "TSA approved locks," strangely enough) , and verified that Delta did not have any supplemental regulations before leaving. I flew Delta out of Atlanta with no issues, and had a great week of hunting. On the way back, in Dallas, it was a different story. I went to check the gun, and the ticket agent said they couldn't accept it as all the lock holes didn't have locks in it. My case has 6 lock holes. So after pleading and pointing out the TSA policy and Delta policies on my phone, they still wouldn't accept it. Said the policy had changed (4 days after first flight). Asked for a manager, and despite showing them that there was no way to get anything out of the case without destroying the case, they wouldn't let me through. They said I could leave to go buy more locks and come back. So my only option was to get a cab to the closest hardware store, literally sprint through the store, pay the driver a little extra to make it quick. Sprint back to the gate with 80 pounds of gear on my back and barely make it back in time for my flight. Had the flight not been delayed, I would have missed it. Then they ended up losing the frozen duck I checked on the way back (having mounted), and mailed it to me 3 days later after they found it and all the ice had melted.... Moral of the story, Delta sucks. Just kidding. If you have multiple lock holes on a gun case, fill them ALL...because people are stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

smp005

Reaction score
Sucks you had to go through all that, kinda puts a damper on a nice trip...

I have friends that have reported to same situation recently. The Hunting Report, a newsletter for traveling hunters has also reported this. It is an airline issue, not TSA but they have that right and Delta has been becoming more and more hunter / gun transporter unfriendly over the past few years.

Unfortunate sign of the times....

jjc155

Reaction score
I have found that most of the check in clerks neither know there own company policies nor the TSA policies when it comes to checking a firearm. When I am checking a gun I just know to budget at least an extra hour more than I normally would and I print out the TSA guidelines and any airline specific guidelines and have em handy. Some of the ludicrous stuff I've been told still makes me scratch my head when I think about it.

You should have seen the confusion when me and my partner had to fly armed for a homicide case we were working on. Flew from Detroit to Dallas (checked our guns) got there and interviewed the suspect who confessed. We were both certified to fly armed while on duty and it was cheaper to buy a one way ticket for the suspect to fly back with us after he waived extradition instead of renting a car and driving back, being that we were flying with a prisoner we were allowed to be armed on the plane.

I think the check in clerk and the gate clerks all pooped a little when they found out what was going on. The flight crew didn't bat and eye and the pilots shook our hands and patted us on the back on the way on and off the plane.

J-

myt1

Reaction score
Moral of the story, Delta sucks. Just kidding.
I totally agree with this, except for the "Just kidding" part. Delta just plain old sucks, and sadly even once good airlines aren't that far behind them. Air travel just isn't what it used to be.

We're all cattle, and if you happen to be a steer or a cow that is slightly larger, longer, heavier, or, heaven forbid, carrying a hunting riffle in in a locked case, you will pay dearly for it.

Last edited:
I

ikankecil

I used to fly hundreds of hours a year all over the world and actually kind of enjoyed the experience most of the time. In recent years, I try my best to avoid airports/airlines entirely if at all possible. Unfortunately, the bonefish bite in Colorado is very slow so I have to put up with the niceties of TSA on occasion.

The overall hassle of air travel has ratcheted up tremendously in the past decade or so. The continued creativity on the part of the bean counters in how many additional fees can be levied for every little thing is making the travel experience a real nuisance, even when no guns are involved.

I'm sure they'll manage to start charging for carrying on fly reels shortly...

ddb

Reaction score
JIC155,

The Airline and TSA allowed you to carry standard ammo in your sidearms?

Authorized LEOs on flights I have heard about were issued downloaded, fast expanding, rounds that would not ricochet all over the cabin in a miss or through and through, or puncture the pressurized cabin.

DDB

JoJer

Reaction score
The air force used to issue "bean bag" rounds for the .38's the crew carried. The projectile looked like a half dozen #6 shot glued between two pieces of cloth, inside a hollow plastic cone. I never heard anything regarding efficacy.
Pre 9/11, I was a prison transport officer. My partner and I were to pick up an inmate at the gate so the marshals could get right back on the plane, so we had to go thru security. I was armed, my partner wasn't. They made him go thru the whole routine, even removing the metal name tag etc. from his uniform shirt, while I just walked thru. HUH?

denver1911

Reaction score
I find the TSA and airline security requirements a hastle and restricting. But I am glad they are in place. I wish we lived in a society that made them unnecessary, but we,don't.

I also find the smaller seating, tightened carry-on restrictions, lower service levels, and the removal or reduction in other comfort items undesirable. But I am glad I can now afford to fly amd visit my son for the weekend. Without the bean counters reducing airline costs, flying would still be a major event for most Americans. With todays ticket prices, it is much more commonplace.

trowlan1

Reaction score
I find the TSA and airline security requirements a hastle and restricting. But I am glad they are in place. I wish we lived in a society that made them unnecessary, but we,don't.

I also find the smaller seating, tightened carry-on restrictions, lower service levels, and the removal or reduction in other comfort items undesirable. But I am glad I can now afford to fly amd visit my son for the weekend. Without the bean counters reducing airline costs, flying would still be a major event for most Americans. With todays ticket prices, it is much more commonplace.

I agree, and understand the need for the restrictions. My issue stems from the lack of uniformity not only between the TSA and the airline, but within the same airline between one destination and another, without any written policy showing this. It makes it near impossible to follow the rules. As if throwing darts at a moving target....blindfolded.

denver1911

Reaction score
I agree, and understand the need for the restrictions. My issue stems from the lack of uniformity not only between the TSA and the airline, but within the same airline between one destination and another, without any written policy showing this. It makes it near impossible to follow the rules. As if throwing darts at a moving target....blindfolded.

Absolutely! Tell me the rules and I'll follow them. Change the rules mid-stream and it hurts us both.

jjc155

Reaction score
JIC155,

The Airline and TSA allowed you to carry standard ammo in your sidearms?

Authorized LEOs on flights I have heard about were issued downloaded, fast expanding, rounds that would not ricochet all over the cabin in a miss or through and through, or puncture the pressurized cabin.

DDB
Yep we carried our issued Gold Dot's.

I know Air Marshalls used to carry the Federal Nyclad frangible rounds when the fear was that a round through the fuselage would cause explosive decompression but with all the research that shows that to be a very minute concern I think they are back to carrying standard rounds now. I'll have to ask a buddy of mine that's an Air Marshall. Last I heard they were carrying Gold Dots as well.

J-