Going to Florida!

pleasantvalley

Reaction score
So my in-laws have decided they want to take my wife and I to Florida next year the last 2 weeks of may, I will only be able to go a week though. We are going to Sanibel Island, which from what I have read has just fantastic fishing opportunities. As this trip advances in planning I need to budget in for a salt rod, probably an inexpensive combo (reddington crosswater, echo maybe) and if I'm going all the way down there budget for a guided outing. I have seen a few guides and shops online.

My questions are this, so far:
1. What weight should I be looking in to? 8/9 is the range that seems to be recommended.
2. Anyone hired a guide down there? Looking for a fun time, probably by myself or with my wife who doesn't fish along for the ride. I would ideally like a relaxed time, with a guide who is in to t aching as much as putting customers into catching fish. My priority is always advancing my knowledge first when fishing, with fish catching being a very, very close second. But if I get the knowledge, that leads to fish.

pjcalla

Reaction score
My questions are this, so far:
1. What weight should I be looking in to? 8/9 is the range that seems to be recommended.
2. Anyone hired a guide down there? Looking for a fun time, probably by myself or with my wife who doesn't fish along for the ride. I would ideally like a relaxed time, with a guide who is in to t aching as much as putting customers into catching fish. My priority is always advancing my knowledge first when fishing, with fish catching being a very, very close second. But if I get the knowledge, that leads to fish.
1. I use an 8 when fishing from the beach.

2. Captain Blake Matherly. I've used him twice when down in Ft. Myers. The marina he uses is right before you go over the bridge to Sanibel. He's great, laid-back, have fun, type of guide. I took my father out last year for his first time on a skiff, and had an absolute blast.

Not sure if you've been on a guided trip in FL, but in case you haven't, the guide will provide the boat, rods, flies and cooler with water. You bring other drinks (beer, soda, gatorade, etc) and lunch for you and the guide. Speaking of lunch, there is a Publix (grocery) just east of the marina on the south side of Summerlin Road. They have GREAT sandwiches freshly made in the deli.

Capt. Blake Matherly
flatfishr@aol.com
Florida Charter Fishing with Capt'n Blake Matherly | Flats Fish'r Charters
239-671-5646

If you do contact Capt. Matherly, tell him the bearded, side-arm casting lefty from Indiana sent you.

pleasantvalley

Reaction score
Nope never done a guided trip of any kind. Only been to Florida once for work and spent the whole time digging holes and filling them back in just north of Jacksonville.

I saw most provide rods, but why not just get a new rod?!?! I'll use it in the future. I'm a few hours drive from the Chesapeake bay and an 8 or 9 would she plenty usable for that and some parts of the Potomac, or for muskies. That would give me 2, 5, and 8 or 9 weights and cover 99% of what I'm likely going to fish.

I've got some time to look in to all of this, but better to start preparing early.

driftless22

Reaction score
Tarpon season will be in full swing during the latter part of May. The guides are in demand at this time, so it would be a good idea to book one as early as possible. I have fished with Mike Rehr (Capt. Fly Fish), and would definitely recommend him. If you do want to fish for Tarpon, an 11 or 12 wt rod would be a better choice - an 8 or 9 wt is too light. Of course, if you want to fish for other species, you certainly can do that.

pnc

Reaction score
If I'm getting this right. Your looking for first rod for salt. Yes an 8 or 9w will work. The 9 will probably suit a one rod for salt situation better. The 8 is teetering on the light side for salt. While it may work well for many situations. Even take good sized fish. A 9 is applicable to more types of fish.
And there's some big strippers in the Chesapeake during the winter.
Yes , many or most charter guides in Florida supply equipment. If personal equipment is preferred. Speak to guide ahead of time and find out how to rig your equipment. And if it is feasible to use such.
If tarpon is idea targeted. Many guides are now using one piece rods. Sizes 10 &.up. One reason for guide doing rigging of equipment. Is they understand what is needed. Especially more so than someone never having done this type of fishing. Tarpon , are a fish that can test knots , equipment, and anglers.

....... pc

pleasantvalley

Reaction score
All great tips so far. Thanks guys, looks like I'll shop around for a 9 weight, and research the local guides you all mentioned. Looking forward to some beach fishing as well!

fq13

Reaction score
All good advice. But if you stay on Sanibel the snook will be off the beach. And I mean JUST off the beach. If your knees are wet you are wading where you should be fishing.:D They will swim parralell to the shore. Clousers deceivers, poppers, glass minows etc. are the ticket. As is an early get up. Dawn is best if the tide is moving. Ask the local fly shop. Generally chartreuse and white or Silver and white are good.

PS As to rods, look at the ones you mentioned, plus Orvis Clearwater (tip action) and TFO rods. Also hit ebay. Older model rods like the Loomis GL3 and GLX as well as Sage RPL and RLX rods can be had for around $250 and under.

Last edited:

brownbass

Reaction score
I have fished around Marco Island before. You will have a blast at that time of year. Make sure you get a guide that specializes in fly fishing and buy a rod if for no other reason than to practice with. There was a Scott eight weight for sale in the classifieds on this site and of course, the Sage Salts and Ones are on sale everywhere. Try Upcountry Fly they seem to have good prices on closeouts. When I fished down there I didn't fly fish and would love living there except for the Hurricanes that like the Gulf so much.

Bill

dragon11

Reaction score
For Snook Bowman's Beach is a good spot to try while you're there. When you get to the beach from the main parking lot turn right, the farther up the beach you go the better. It's already been said......the earlier the better. My first trip there I was there at 8:00 am and the other fisherman were finishing up for the day.

If you have time to go out on your own try Tarpon Bay Explorers/Outfitters. Tarpon Bay Explorers Nature Tours & Rentals in Sanibel, FL You can rent a kayak for around $15.00 an hour, add a couple more bucks they'll outfit it for fishing. Tarpon Bay is good for reds, snook, sea trout and other species. The staff will draw out a map for you on where to go for what and when. Black over red clousers, crabs and crayfish patterns work well.

I can't stress enough to talk to Norm Ziegler at his shop. You can call before you head down and he'll give you tons of advice. Stopping in his shop is even better. Below is a video of Norm tying his schminnow....a great pattern for snook and other species.
YouTube

I've had good luck with this hook for schminnows and clousers in size 2 -2XH/1XL Amazon.com : Mustad Signature S71SNP-DT Fly Hooks (Size 2) : Sports & Outdoors

Post pics when you get back, good luck.

Reaction score
Nothing else to add. Fished Sanibel 2 years ago and loved it. Snook in the surf is a blast and I was catching fish while my wife relaxed on the beach so we were together and both happy.

Also go by Norm's and buy his fly. It definitely gets more snook hits.

I've owned both a 9 and 8 wt. I cast an 8 better when casting streamers to redfish out a distance. Just me though. I have the Temple Fork BVK and absolutely love it.

Have fun!