Some Trip Ideas, Please.

myt1

Reaction score
This past September five us spent a few days fishing on the San Juan.

It worked out pretty good. Some of us camped and some stayed at Abe's. Most of the time we fished from shore, but on one day a couple of guys hired a guide and a boat. Also, one guy has a small pontoon boat. Essentially the San Juan was the perfect venue accommodating our diverse needs.

Now we are thinking of making this an annual get together and we are looking for ideas for next year's trip.

Again, some of us want to camp and some want to stay in motels; and some will want to use a guide.

So far we are tossing around the idea of the Bighorn River in Montana. I think we can find the accommodations we all desire there, but I'm concerned the fishing from shore isn't that easy to access.

First of all, how is the fishing from shore?

And secondly, what other locations should we consider that fits all of our needs.

My thought was Flaming Gorge would work. My only concern there is I have already been there and I would like to try someplace different.

Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
The Arkansas River in Colorado, from Leadville all the way to Canon City.

100 miles of Gold Medal trout water with plenty of areas to pull over and wade, and camp. Or hotels to stay in as well are plenty.

JMHO. :)

westcoast

Reaction score
Being retired, I do a similar type trip several times each Spring/Summer. We car camp or tent depending on the spot and length of stay. What I usually do is identify "several" lakes or rivers within a day's drive and fish that particular geographical location. Next trip, we do a different area for a change of scenery and adventure. Once we do many lakes, we narrow it down to favorites and keep going back.
* I may have more variety up here than you have down there, so this may not apply

Reaction score
East Tennessee has good trout fishing variety. Smoky Mountains alone can be a destination with lots of variety plus camping and hotel options.

Also the Tri-Cities area has the South Houston and Watauga rivers which are easily waded and top notch fisheries. Also good camping and hotel options.

Sounds like a fun trip wherever you end up. Let us know what you decide.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
You might look into the Gunnison in Colorado. This past August we camped at Pleasure Park and fished the Gunnison primarily from pontoon boats, but there is a trail heading up river about 4 miles so lots of water to explore on foot. They also have pontoons and rafts for rent. The grasshoppers there are just incredible in size and the caddis activity in the late afternoon is also very strong.

If your interested, here is my trip report:
Gunnison River Trip Report

triggw

Reaction score
The bank fishing is pretty limited on the Bighorn. You can walk down for a ways from the Afterbay dam and up from the 3-mile access. But getting on the best water requires a boat. It's an easy river to row, and there are several places that will rent you a drift boat for about $125 (last time I checked) including shuttle. Not too bad split between two guys. Cottonwood Camp has cabins and camping. (And also rents boats.) Main problem on the Bighorn is crowds, and I've heard they can get a lot of moss in the water in the fall, although I usually fish spring.