Portland, Oregon

Reaction score
In a few weeks I have a business trip to Portland. Any spots to trout fish? Won't have enough time to float so wading will be my only option.

patrick62

Reaction score
I visited once and we drove some distance to the Deschutes, so that's no help.

But the thing I noticed was that every house had a garden that looked like one of those planets the Star Trek people beam down to. Without even trying they get gardens that people here in New England would give their left forsythia for.

flytie09

Reaction score
Bring your switch rod and swing for steelhead. There are more opportunities than you can shake your rod tip at there.

ft09

dillon

Reaction score
50 Places to go Fishing within 60 Minutes of Portland | Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife
You can pm me with questions if any of the spots on the list are of interest. Or, if you have time to drive further I can give you some ideas. As mentioned there are good steelhead rivers near Portland. There may still be some summer run fish around but it sounds like your timing is too early for the winter run. They start arriving after December freshets. There are searun cutthroat in the coastal streams, but I believe the season closes Oct. 31. Local steelhead streams probably close for trout fishing then too and as Fred mentioned, most of those trout are small juvenile steelhead.

dillon

Reaction score
The Clackamas used to be stocked with hatchery rainbows. However, I'm not positive , but I believe that is no longer happening. They were probably juvenile steelhead. Some hatchery and wild steelhead do residualize but a rainbow over 10 inches is large west of the cascades. Although legal, i couldnt fish for baby wild steelhead with clear conscience, not even catch and release. I hear there is also a small population of bull trout in the clackamas, but angling for them is not allowed. Most Oregon flyfishers go east of the cascades for quality trout fishing. The Clackamas is closed to trout fishing after Oct. 31. So, trout fishing in stillwaters is it...

Last edited:

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Well upper Rogue River.

Neighbor at the door .. "Can I borrow your drift boat???!!":surprise::wavetowel

Two husbands/wife types launched at 0700 this AM. Barbie's Q ready to go when they get back ... Doggie-Dog will great .. I'm probably zonked out in bed when they get back.

wjlapier

Reaction score
What about the river(s) near hwy 26 on your way to the coast? We go to Cannon Beach every year and every year I wonder about the rivers along the way. OK, I figured it out. Necanicum River. Any info?

dillon

Reaction score
The Necanicum has a modest run of wild and hatchery winter steelhead and fall salmon. it has limited bank access and can be hazardous to float due to sweepers. I'm not sure if there are any searun cutthroat now but historically there were. It's best to fish this river when it's dropping after a blow out when fish are moving. Timing is everything on small coastal streams...