Fishing Anywhere in the U.S.

snookandtrout

Reaction score
If you could trout fish anywhere in the U.S. thoroughly (for two weeks) where would you go and why? My friend and I are going to have two weeks next May to fish and we are willing to travel anywhere in the lower 48. A combination of scenery and good fishing would be optimal (ultimately we all know fishing is the most important) and we are planning on camping. I look forward to hearing all of your thoughts!

Best,
Graham

P.S. Is it true that you can't fish Yellowstone in May?

yikes

Reaction score
You didn't say what time of year, but assuming its a summer vacation, most people would head to Montana.
Check out the documentary called "Rocky Mountain Fly Highwy" (free on Amazon Prime).

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Wooozer! E mail .... "You took my Dad fishing, he's gone now but he raved about his trips in your drift boat beach camping. He said you really knew our Scotch Whiskey. Any chance I could get one of those rides?"

"Well I'm 75 so you'll have to row."

"I CAN DO THAT!!":eek:

"Can I bring my kids??" '

'Why not?'

fae

flyminded

Reaction score
May can be tricky time out west due to runoff - which is predicated on snow fall and how soon the temps start to warm. That said I’d consider Michigan, Pennsylvania, Tennessee/North Carolina - assuming you want trout.

Cigarsnjeeps

Reaction score
Depends on the time of year. Spring, I would love to go to NC and hike into some off the beaten path streams and fish/camp. Summer, I would love to do the same in the Rockies.

@cigarsnjeeps

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
P.S. Is it true that you can't fish Yellowstone in May?
Graham: Yellowstone NP fishing season opens the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, but you need to check their regulations as some water is traditionally closed until later, mainly due to bears in the vicinity. That said, you could fish the Madison just outside the park, say from West Yellowstone to Ennis, MT, plus there are a lot of great streams to explore in SW Montana. As the winter progresses, keep watching the snow pack data site to help you predict what the conditions might be like in May. Last year here in western Wyoming we received a snow pack that was 280% above normal. Kevin and I had planned a fly fishing trip to the Green in mid-May, but there was over 18 inches of snow on the ground in the campgrounds so getting a motorhome in there was impossible, so we traveled over to Alcova, WY and fished the Grey Reef portion of the North Platte river and had an awesome trip, but weather that time of year can be very unpredictable. Another area I would recommend you take a hard look at is the Gunnison river in Colorado. Just do an advanced search here on the forum for "Gunnison". Here is another option: April/May is my favorite time to visit the Green below Flaming Gorge Reservoir at Dutch John, UT. The blue wing olive hatches are incredible.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
May + camping + lower 48, locking in a destination this far out. Prognostications: Spring creeks & mid to lower elevations lakes for trout, usually safe bets. Lower latitude tailwaters 50/50. Depending on dam releases, Shad & Stripers. If this winter is anything like last winter and I needed to lock in a place early, I'd find myself back in a boat or a tube prowling lakes at or below 5,000 / 6,000 feet. Interested in what our Florida Keys guys offer up here.

Dave

pfetz

Reaction score
Not sure if you could do this in May, but in July of this last summer I fished for 2 weeks and hit 8 different streams/rivers in UT/WY/ID/MT. It was an amazing trip and the diversity of the locations was great. So many places to fish in this range.

snookandtrout

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Just to clarify, we will be fishing in early May. We are currently in college in Florida so we would have to fly in and either rent a car or take a shuttle service to the location. From what I have read (correct me if I'm wrong), it seems that Montana is too much of a wild card depending on the snow melt next spring (and the fact that we can't fix Yellowstone). Should we focus more on Colorado or Utah (we definitely want to go out West as we are pretty familiar with the East Coast) or do you have any other suggestions?

Best,
Graham

smarty140

Reaction score
Early May = Salmonflies on the Deschutes....

People that have been there the last couple years will have better info since there have been concerns with the quality of the fishery dropping off pretty rapidly, but when I was there in 2015 it was still pretty darn cool! It wasn’t fish after fish all day long, but fishing those massive flies and getting aggressive strikes on the surface made it a great memory.

There are probably other options where the Salmonflies hatch around the same time.

ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snookandtrout

Reaction score
The more I research this, the more it seems that I am going to have to be very cautious of picking a river that very well may be unfishable due to high muddy water from the runoff. I have been looking more closely at the San Juan River

moucheur2003

Reaction score
May can be tricky time out west due to runoff - which is predicated on snow fall and how soon the temps start to warm. That said I’d consider Michigan, Pennsylvania, Tennessee/North Carolina - assuming you want trout.
In the east and midwest spring fishing is not so much a question of avoiding the snowmelt as it is waiting for the water to warm up enough for the bugs and fish to get really active. If you're making plans now, I would say the surest bet for good trout fishing next May would be central Pennsylvania. Michigan might be good too, it's got a legendary reputation, but I haven't fished there myself. I suspect the hatches might run a week or two behind there, which won't matter if it's an early spring, but if spring comes late you're probably a little more likely to see reliable action by mid-May in Pennsylvania.

lacanadio

Reaction score
Make sure the San Juan's not going to be undergoing a spring flush. During, flows approach 5k cfs and wading's tricky if not downright dangerous. Floating is definitely an option, though.

A flush typically starts mid- to late May so may be outside of your time there. A flush happening is also dependent on watershed snow levels. This is forecast to be a La Nina year, so said levels may be low.

Bureau of Reclamation in Durango will have information on upcoming events. They also may post on their Navajo Lake website.

The more I research this, the more it seems that I am going to have to be very cautious of picking a river that very well may be unfishable due to high muddy water from the runoff. I have been looking more closely at the San Juan River

patrick62

Reaction score
Catskill rivers and the Housatonic/Farmington in Connecticut might be great in early May. Then again, they might be roiled up and unfishable.

I think I would stay in the South. How about the White River in Arkansas?

cab

Reaction score
Black out the Rocky Mountains that time of year, too unpredictable.

Heck, I'd be down in Florida, chasing LMB's and salty fishies.

Some mentioned the PNW, IDK. ;)

A possible wild card: Minnesota. The water might be cold enough for good sport on pike, walleye, maybe a shot at some musky? Hopefully a denizen of the great white North will chime in.

HTH,
CAB

smarty140

Reaction score
Black out the Rocky Mountains that time of year, too unpredictable.

Heck, I'd be down in Florida, chasing LMB's and salty fishies.

Some mentioned the PNW, IDK. ;)

A possible wild card: Minnesota. The water might be cold enough for good sport on pike, walleye, maybe a shot at some musky? Hopefully a denizen of the great white North will chime in.

HTH,

CAB

Musky fishing in MN doesn’t open until June, so this would be too early for them. Pike and walleyes could be an option, if you have a boat or are willing to rent one.

Trout fishing in the Driftless area of SE MN or the neighboring states could be good at that time... or as others mentioned, could be blown out from spring rain.

If the plan was late May, I would definitely suggest north-central or the Canadian border country for pike and smallies.

ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snookandtrout

Reaction score
The plan has now shifted to driving up the East Coast in search of wadeable trout and smallmouth streams/rivers. I was thinking of North Carolina, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, and maybe even Maine. My friend wants to target smallmouth and I am fine with either trout or smallmouth. Any new suggestions.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Where do you live? Your posting details don't say.......................

If you're in the Eastern US. take a look at Pennsylvania for the end of May beginning of June. In a two week period camping a couple guys could spend quality time on; Penns Creek - Fishing Creek (Clinton County) and Spring Creek, there are more venues but those three could make a trip. In the time frame I mentioned there are BWO - March Brown - Gray Fox - Sulfurs and the early Green Drakes happening. That's the May Fly picture and there are plenty of caddis flies and stones to choose from also.

Generally water conditions in that part of the country are predictable because there's no run off to worry about.

Great area of America too,

Ard