Wearing Wading Boots on a Plane

kwill234

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience wearing wading boots on a plane?

I have Korkers with the Omnitrax, so I would put hte plain rubber soles in, so no problem from that perspective.

My question relates to the trip home after 6 days of fishing until 10pm at night. How was the experience with the plane flight home? were you able to dry out the boots enough, or did you have miserable wet feet alll day? How did you dry the boots?

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
I would never do it for the hassle alone...going through security would be such a PITA regardless if they had time to dry or not.

Buy a 5$ pair of slip on sandals if you don't have another pair of pack-able lace-less shoes.

Pack the wading boots.

myt1

Reaction score
Never wore wading boots on a plane, but if my suitcase is over weight for an upcoming steelhead trip I'm prepared to wear my Muck boots.

airborne 82nd

Reaction score
Have to say after wading in the river all day , day in and day out ,the last thing i want to wearing once i get out of the river is my wading boots , i love them for their intended use , but muddy,wet boots wouldnt be first choice for air travel,
If you have doubts of packing them to travel with or carry on plane , call the “Big brown truck , or fed ex them home from camp ... crocs, or some cozy devk shoes or my reliable hiking boots are my choice for comfort
Airborne ( David )

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'm very self-conscious about wearing my wet waders into a gas station to buy a 6-pack. :eek:
In many "fishy" places, no one would bat an eye but in most others, people look at you as if you've lost your handle on reality :cool:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that we have this question tabled and open for discussion I must admit that it is opening my mind to many other venues in which I'd previously not considered my wading boots. When you think about it the possibilities are nearly limitless. Well, I'm off to the grocery now and figure I'll give em a whirl whilst I pick up a few staples for the ice box :)

Hope the OP can do with a bit of tongue in cheek humor because I've got a million more applications for those Simms G4 boots of mine.

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

I'm very self-conscious about wearing my wet waders into a gas station to buy a 6-pack. :eek:
In many "fishy" places, no one would bat an eye but in most others, people look at you as if you've lost your handle on reality :cool:
It's just the opposite here Paul, if I stop at Three Bears in the morning and am not wearing waders the ladies ask, "Not fishing today?" You can go about anywhere without feeling out of place, more likely the men will look at you with a gaze that resembles envy.

denver1911

Reaction score
I've not done it, but am contemplating wearing mine to/from Christmas Island to leave room/weight in my bag for other useless stuff I surely won't need there.

mr mike

Reaction score
I've not done it, but am contemplating wearing mine to/from Christmas Island to leave room/weight in my bag for other useless stuff I surely won't need there.
I did it for this reason on a bahamas trip once where I could not check luggage. Everything had to go into one roller bag, so my flats booties went on my feet. They were dry enough for the flight home, which departed about 18 hours after they were last in the salt water.

peaks2creeks

Reaction score
If you do wear them on the plane, I would hate to be the one sitting next to you. After a 1-2 full days on the river my boots, (SIMMS) can start to smell a little funky... I have to set them in the sun for a couple of hours for them to completely dry out and get rid of the ripe smell... Even then, I can imagine the smell they would produce after wearing for a couple of hours and wondering through the airport... :eek:

patrick62

Reaction score
Don't wear studded boots into the grocery store. They do not grip on linoleum or whatever that hard flooring is.

If you're self-conscious going in in your waders, just think how embarrassing it will be when you're on the floor

jjc155

Reaction score
I would never do it for the hassle alone...going through security would be such a PITA regardless if they had time to dry or not.

Buy a 5$ pair of slip on sandals if you don't have another pair of pack-able lace-less shoes.

Pack the wading boots.
This 100%, even 100% dry my wading boots stank!!!!

I either wear flip flops (even when coming back to Michigan in mid winter, lol) or i throw my running shoes on since they are easy to slip on/off at security.

J-

JoJer

Reaction score
When I heard this question I immediately pictured the cartoon of the guy at the wedding altar with his golf clubs..."This isn't going to take all day is it?"

bonefish41

Reaction score
I do but only Patagonia flats boots for reasons of more room in my Abel bag...I do not check I carry on everything...as for stream/river wading boats no... even if I would fly to freshwater...cannot imagine wearing size 13 Korkers for stocking foots on a plane wet or dry...but if these fresh water boots are like my Pat flats boots for wet wading rather than for stocking foots... then sure I would do it to save space on my carty ons...

tcorfey

Reaction score
Did a recent trip to the East Coast. Packed my dress shoes, suit and neoprene wet wade socks but, wore my Simms Riprap wading shoes with socks on the plane. For wet wading streams I switched my socks for the neoprene wet wade socks. No issues with the Ripraps' they slip on and off and they dry pretty quick. I also wore polyester/nylon fishing clothing that I could wash in the hotel room and hang to dry overnight. Makes packing much easier. Neoprene socks dry quick to but I packed them in a gallon ziplock bag just in case.

fishgolf

Reaction score
Wonder what kind of looks you'd get from TSA personnel? :) Yeah, to echo some others, I wouldn't consider doing this.