Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yellowstone

1. Default Re: Yellowstone

I left Yellowstone on Sept 5th of this year. While there were no fires there, the last day I was there a front blew through and brought with it the smoke from the fires to the north. While that would not impede fishing, if you're there with the family on vaca and want to take scenery pics, it would be an impediment. Just something to be mindful of. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. All the surprises are what makes it an adventure!

Ref traveling cross-country, and for planning purposes, might wanna check out the tripmaker feature on the Rand McNally website. It is somewhat useful for seeing what driving times are going to be between two points. Also take a roadmap with you of Montana. These GPS things are nice, but sometimes they can lead you astray, too. At times nothing beats laying out a map and actually looking at the road net with your own two eyeballs.

Sept 12, 2016

Madison River. You can see the Madison-West Yellowstone road to the left. The river is easy to access, but that ease of access also tends to make it available to everybody else, too.

Joffe Lake, described on pg 51 of Matthews' and Molinero's 'The Yellowstone Fly-Fishing Guide'.
    Last edited by del gue; 11-20-2017 at 10:18 PM.

2. Default Re: Yellowstone

I made reservations at the Lake Hotel, which seems pretty central. I wonder now if I should have split it up (2 nights here, 2 nights there, etc.) but I think I am just going to leave it as is. I have a map with driving distances that also suggests time as well as miles, but I realize that is highly speculative. I have also come across apps, guide books, and a whole package of Yellowstone trip planning stuff. For fishing, my research seems to suggest that Parks' Fly Shop may be the best resource for a guide service; other recommendations? Fly into Jackson Hole or Bozeman?

Hmmm, now I wonder...instead of a hotel, I bet I could rent a camper (thus killing two birds with one stone, i.e., lodging and car rental). My wife doesn't like sleeping on the ground but a camper would probably be acceptable. I will have to do more research...

3. Default Re: Yellowstone

It's your trip, so go with what your gut tells you. Were it me, and I wanted a guided trip, it would be Blue Ribbon Flies or Jacklin's.

I, personally, would be inclined to split it up. That does two things: 1) puts you fishing different places, so if you don't do well at one place, maybe you'll do better at the second place, and 2) gives you some different scenery to look at. That's gorgeous country out there, and the more of it you can see, the better!

Another advantage to renting a camper is, you can stay on a stream if it's hot, or move on if it's not, or if some other factor impedes fishing, like a fire or something else. Plus, in addition to seeing more of the country, you get to explore and it turns it into (even more of) an adventure!!! Just be aware that if you go the camper route, you still better make reservations in advance, at least to a degree, because campgrounds are busy too, and often book up in advance, esp during the prime tourist season. That said, this year when I aborted plans to spend a week in Glacier due to the fires, I simply called and made reservations for the Madison campground while I was on the road.

Madison Campground, Yellowstone

Not uncommon to see elk or even buff come through or near the campground. When I was out there in 2016, the lady in the office said a sow griz and 2 cubs had walked a section of the perimeter of the campground. I asked her what section, and she said the one where I was going to be camping!

These elk usually hang out in the big field to the west of the campground. Also, know this: if you camp at the Madison Campground, you can walk from the campground down to the river to fish.

On all my trips out West, the pre-trip planning was almost as much fun as the trip itself!!! I just enjoy planning all of this stuff out!

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  5. Default Re: Yellowstone

"On all my trips out West, the pre-trip planning was almost as much fun as the trip itself!!! I just enjoy planning all of this stuff out!"

I know what you mean. After starting some research, obtaining some books, etc. we are thinking that 5 days are not enough. We have 5 days booked at the Lake Hotel (the lodges at the hotel area, actually) but I am thinking about adding a couple of days. Right now I am leaning toward flying into Bozeman, staying a couple of days in the north depending on availability (Lamar valley, I think, as that seems to be one of the best animal viewing areas) and then to the Lake, and fly out of Jackson Hole. All subject to change of course.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Default Re: Yellowstone

When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

7. Likes rockriver liked this post

I've only camped in the park so I can't recommend any lodging, but I do have one tip for anyone visiting yellowstone, get on the road early. I try and be driving before or just at first light, that way you're ahead of the crowds and traffic, and you also see way more wildlife at that time of day. Visit popular sites like geyser basin and yellowstone falls early, then fish in the afternoon. The fishing is often better in the afternoon when things have warmed a little anyway.

9. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Thumbs up Re: Yellowstone

Maybe just my 'Puter but link doesn't work. Jellowstone is over run with tourist ... Go to Glacier National Park. Huge on both sides of the boarder. Can't remember the name of the place but would book two weeks. I actually went fishing a few times; most of the time I just sat. It was good, all good.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

11. Likes rockriver liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by gpwhitejr View Post
    I made reservations at the Lake Hotel, which seems pretty central. I wonder now if I should have split it up (2 nights here, 2 nights there, etc.) but I think I am just going to leave it as is. I have a map with driving distances that also suggests time as well as miles, but I realize that is highly speculative. I have also come across apps, guide books, and a whole package of Yellowstone trip planning stuff. For fishing, my research seems to suggest that Parks' Fly Shop may be the best resource for a guide service; other recommendations? Fly into Jackson Hole or Bozeman?

Hmmm, now I wonder...instead of a hotel, I bet I could rent a camper (thus killing two birds with one stone, i.e., lodging and car rental). My wife doesn't like sleeping on the ground but a camper would probably be acceptable. I will have to do more research...
    I am very late to this thread. For over 20 years, I vacationed in Yellowstone Park with my family starting in 1974 when I lived in Salt Lake City to the mid 1990s when both my sons left for college. I was in Yellowstone during the big fires of 1988. So I know a lot about Yellowstone. Lake Lodge is a central location and it would be great if you wanted to fish the Yellowstone Lake or the Yellowstone River BUT the lake trout have really impacted the Cutts in the lake and also the Y. River. Here is a Google Map of the location of the Lake Hotel.

Google Maps

Lake Lodge is close to the river BUT little else. The Canyon hotel would be closer to the Firehole River and the Gibbon River which join to form the Madison at Madsion Junction. The Norris Campground is closest to the Gibbon and the Madison Campground or the Old Faithful Hotel are closest to the Firehole. I have never fished the Firehole in the fall. I think it would be better in the spring. The Gibbon should fish well year round.

I personally have written the Yellowstone River off because of the Lake Trout. There are some rivers like Pelican Creek that used to be spectacular fishing but are closed because of bear.

That leaves 3 Main areas for fishing the smaller rivers and streams. There is the Gibbon and Firehole River that join to form the Madison in the west side of the Park. This is an area you can fish if you stay in West Yellowstone or from Old Faithful Lodge, the Madsion Campground or the Norris Campground.

The second area is near the northwest entrance which is at Gardner, MT. at Sheepeater Cliff on the east side of the Grand Loop Road. There is also the Indian Creek Campground across to the west and a bit south. You can park in either location. You can fish the Gardner River and Obsidian Creek which flows along the Grand Loop Road and can be accessed from the Indian Creek Campground Road.

Now for the best area which others have mentioned. I would stay at Roosevelt Lodge which is at the the junction fo the Grand Loop Rd and Rte 212 which goes to Silver Gate at the NE entrance of the park. From the Lodge you can fish the Lamar River, Soda Butte Creek, and Slough Creek.

Google Maps

Roosevelt Lodge only has a few cabins and they fill up fast. Unfortunately it closes Sept 3. If you could move up you trip to late August it would be first choice.

Roosevelt Lodge - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

If you could not stay at Roosevelt, the backup would be Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel. Call them since there hotel has been renovated and has limited rooms.

Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel and Cabins in Yellowstone - My Yellowstone Park

There are also motels in Gardiner Montana, just outside the Mammoth Park entrance.

rooms in Gardiner montant - Google Search

You could also stay in Cook City/Silver Gate but I am not sure how late that road stays open.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

13. Likes fredaevans liked this post
  14. Default Re: Yellowstone

Thanks for all the advice. I should point out that this is primarily a sight-seeing trip, not a fishing trip (my wife doesn't fish) and my plan is maybe a half-day with a guide, a half-day on my own, something like that.

I was thinking Mammoth Hotel, for the first couple of nights.

By the way, why does everyone hate lake trout? Here in Lake Champlain that is a target species for fishing. We caught a bunch a month or two ago and cooked them on the grill, they were pretty good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gpwhitejr View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I should point out that this is primarily a sight-seeing trip, not a fishing trip (my wife doesn't fish) and my plan is maybe a half-day with a guide, a half-day on my own, something like that.

I was thinking Mammoth Hotel, for the first couple of nights.

By the way, why does everyone hate lake trout? Here in Lake Champlain that is a target species for fishing. We caught a bunch a month or two ago and cooked them on the grill, they were pretty good.
    Mainly because the lake trout were illegally introduced (invasive species) and they eat the native cutthroat. The cutthroats spawn in the feeder creeks and those provide food for other animals in the park.
    Larry

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast