Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Yellowstone

Default Re: Yellowstone

Regulations require that all lake trout caught out of Yellowstone Lake must be killed. That regulation has been in place a long time, but the Yellowstone cutthroat population there has continued to decline.

Quote Originally Posted by gpwhitejr View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I should point out that this is primarily a sight-seeing trip, not a fishing trip (my wife doesn't fish) and my plan is maybe a half-day with a guide, a half-day on my own, something like that.

I was thinking Mammoth Hotel, for the first couple of nights.

By the way, why does everyone hate lake trout? Here in Lake Champlain that is a target species for fishing. We caught a bunch a month or two ago and cooked them on the grill, they were pretty good.
    As others have said, the roads in Yellowstone are 2 lane. Because large animals are a major attraction, travel is slow. So it is best to stay near the attraction you want to see.

There are 3 major attractions:

1. Thermal features like geysers, hot springs, hot pools, and mud pots. Many of of these are on the west side of the park and the Old Faithful Lodge is the closest hotel.

Google Maps

Old Faithful is at the southern end of the thermal features. There is a loop trail that takes you around the area and to additional features beside Old Faithful Geyser. The visitor center has the projected times of eruption for not only Old Faithful but also other geysers in the area. Every major trail in Yellowstone has a trail guide and they make good souvenirs.

From Old Faithful drive north along the Grand Loop Road. The next thermal feature is Biscuit Basin which has a few hot pools. In my opinion, it is a minor feature and can be skipped. Next is Grand Prismatic Pool and Excelsior Geyser Hot Pool. Grand Prismatic is a must see feature. Continue north along
    the Grand loop past Madison junction to Artist’s Paint pots Trail. It is a small feature but I love these mud pots. I recommend it.

Next is the Norris Geyser Basin with Porcelain Basin. It is a must see area and the most thermally active geyser basin in Yellowstone. Of all the thermal basin walks these two are the best. You should take the trail walks here rather than the one at Old Faithful. Norris has Steamboat Geyser, the world’s highest eruption geyser, and Echinus Geyser, the world most acidic geyser. Echinus is a pool geyser unlike Old Faithful and Steamboat which are cone geysers. Pool geysers fill up with water, overflow and then erupt. After eruption the drain just like a bathtub. They are quite remarkable. Echinus eruptions used to be regular but now it is rare.

Just a bit to the north is the Norris Campground. There is parking at the Park Ranger museum and you can fish the Gibbon River.

2. Animals - They can be anywhere but the best place is probably the Hayden Valley which is between Fishing bridge and the Upper Falls of the Yellowstone River. The Grand Loop Road follows the Yellowstone River and I am going to take you from Fishing Bridge to the Canyon Hotel. There are usually buffalo along this drive and sometimes Grizzly bears. To best look for bears a good pair on binoculars is needed.

The first feature is Le Hardy Rapids on the Yellowstone. Before the lake trout killed the cutts you could sometime see the cutts migrating, There is parking along the road above and below the rapids. Next on the right is is Buffalo Ford, now called Nez Perce Ford. This was the place on the place to fish the Yellowstone. The Main river and side channels were easily waded and fished.

Next are two thermal features - The Mud Volcano to the left and then the Sulphur Caldron to the right. I suggest seeing and walking the Mud Volcano area. Parking is on the left. After you pass the Sulphur Caldron and the upgrade, you will enter the Hayden Valley. There are small areas to the right and you can glass the valley with your binoculars or continue on the road toward the falls of the Yellowstone.

3. The Falls of the Yellowstone - Continue north and you will reach the road on the right that leads to the upper falls.

After seeing the upper falls, continue on the Grand Loop Road and enter the North Rim Drive. You can enter it from the south or continue to the Canyon Lodge and enter it from the north. Take the drive and park and take the hike to the lookout point.

Other features such as the Petrified Forest, Tower Falls, and the Mammoth Hot Spring Area are longer drives and would take longer to visit.
    Last edited by silver creek; 12-08-2017 at 03:40 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

3. Likes fredaevans liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by gpwhitejr View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I should point out that this is primarily a sight-seeing trip, not a fishing trip (my wife doesn't fish) ....
    Then DEFINITELY check out my Trip Report that I linked to you earlier.

It's a great primer on how to fish Yellowstone when you have non-anglers in tow.

5. Likes mcnerney, k_e_v liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
    Then DEFINITELY check out my Trip Report that I linked to you earlier.

It's a great primer on how to fish Yellowstone when you have non-anglers in tow.
    I wished I had that plan before we went to Yellowstone this past summer. We pull a travel trailer and stayed in West Yellowstone. Went to all the places you mentioned and I could see me doing exactly what you did.

Brings me to a question or two since we are talking about Yellowstone and surround areas. Is the Madison in the park too warm to fish in July? Gallatin north of West Yellowstone too cold to fish around 8AM in July? I was told this when I was planning my "5" hrs of fishing. I skipped the Madison and went for the Galatin and fished it and a small creek nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
    I wished I had that plan before we went to Yellowstone this past summer. We pull a travel trailer and stayed in West Yellowstone. Went to all the places you mentioned and I could see me doing exactly what you did.

Brings me to a question or two since we are talking about Yellowstone and surround areas. Is the Madison in the park too warm to fish in July? Gallatin north of West Yellowstone too cold to fish around 8AM in July? I was told this when I was planning my "5" hrs of fishing. I skipped the Madison and went for the Galatin and fished it and a small creek nearby.
    Generally yes, the Madison is too warm by July. It depends on the year, but generally YES.

Same answer on the Gallatin; generally still not great by early July; better by late July.

8. Default Re: Yellowstone

I would definitely take the 6 wt. If you can take the other too, then if you want to, go ahead. But I'd definitely want that 6 wt on the trip.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234