Bull Trout bucket list

2rjs

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to do a weeks trip this year in Aug to fish for Bull Trout. I will be traveling from VA and would like to do a DIY trip. Thus far I have been researching Idaho, backpacking into the Bob MT, or traveling to Fernie BC. I know that Bulls are somewhat of a sensitive subject but if anyone could offer any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated as this has been something I have been wanting to do for decades. Please PM me if you have info you would be willing to share.

Thanks,

littledavid123

Reaction score
Fishing for Bull Trout in the Bob Marshall is against regulations and yes they do have back country rangers! Perhaps another member can help out with where it is legal to fish for them. :)

Dave

2rjs

Reaction score
Fishing for Bull Trout in the Bob Marshall is against regulations and yes they do have back country rangers! Perhaps another member can help out with where it is legal to fish for them. :)

Dave
Are you sure? Unless I'm reading the regs wrong you can fish the SF in the Bob for them with the permit. I know the tribs are off limits and I believe this is the only place in MT they can legally be caught.

2rjs

Reaction score

Dave
Ok, after re-reading the regs, I see season closes end of July. Thanks for the heads up! I will have to take that date into consideration if I go the Bob Marshall route.

driftless22

Reaction score
Some of the rivers in southwest Alberta and the Fernie BC area have reasonable Bull Trout populations, and it is legal to fish for them ( catch & release).

Last edited:

flav

Reaction score
If it's big fish and big numbers you want go to BC.
I've caught them in a half dozen rivers in Oregon (usually accidently) and know several rivers in WA where they're legal to fish for, but they're not very common and often aren't anywhere as big as BC. In OR the Metolius is the big name fishery, but there are a few other rivers where it's legal to target them. They're an interesting fish to catch, although not great fighters they make up for it in size and aggressiveness in taking a fly.
I hope you have a good trip and find a few bullies.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Pertinence with bull trout is almost entirely limited to the Metolius River in Oregon. Had had bulls chasing small trout hooked on dries and actually had one take my hooked trout. He was on for a while, but that didn't last long on 6X.

The guys in the 80s who really targeted the Bulls could be seen at the "Dolly Hole" or some other spots casting long streamers on lines like the Teeny 400. When I say long streamers, some of them would salvage the tails of road kill cats and use those to make a huge fly. It was interesting, but nothing I really wanted to try.

I did actually hook a bull (I think) on a brown parachute 14 in the Dolly Hole (downstream from Wizard Falls Fish Hatchery). But that fish broke me off pretty darn fast.

For the same effort, I would much rather fish for steelhead than Bulls.

Don

jschaffer

Reaction score
Are you focused just on catching inland Bull Trout to check it off the list? You'll find great populations of Dolly's in Alaska and I believe they are pretty much the same species?

nevadanstig

Reaction score
We have them in the rubies here in NV, near Elko, and yes you can fish for them and catch them. But, they are in small creeks and are small fish, so not what most consider when thinking of bull trout. They are part of the native slam.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

zjory

Reaction score
We have them in the rubies here in NV, near Elko, and yes you can fish for them and catch them. But, they are in small creeks and are small fish, so not what most consider when thinking of bull trout. They are part of the native slam.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
There are bull trout in the Rubies? I grew up camping in Lamoille Canyon, had no idea.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
There are bull trout in the Rubies? I grew up camping in Lamoille Canyon, had no idea.
Yep. I believe Elko County is the only area in Nevada with bull trout, but there's probably a dozen or so creeks that have them. Bear in mind most if not all would probably be difficult to access. The Rubies are probably by far the most overlooked outdoor opportunity rich area in the US. But people don't want to work for anything anymore. Most of the good stuff requires horses or multi-night hikes.
If you're interested, you can search species and it will list every body of water they reside in on NDOWS website.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

zjory

Reaction score
Yep. I believe Elko County is the only area in Nevada with bull trout, but there's probably a dozen or so creeks that have them. Bear in mind most if not all would probably be difficult to access. The Rubies are probably by far the most overlooked outdoor opportunity rich area in the US. But people don't want to work for anything anymore. Most of the good stuff requires horses or multi-night hikes.
If you're interested, you can search species and it will list every body of water they reside in on NDOWS website.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Fascinating to me. I grew up in Elko, but my dad didn’t fish so as much time as we spent in the Rubies, I never chased a trout there. Any idea why Bruneau Basin holds them?