Sayulita Mexico

shaunsquid

Reaction score
So my lady is itching for a vacation. All signs point to last week of March in Sayulita Mexico. Any tips? I have never tried salt water on the fly.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Went there for our honeymoon 3 years ago!

As far as fishing, we just did a guided kayak trip. The guide brought a fly rod per my request but we really didn't end up using it much. If you enjoy kayak fishing I would recommend him, but if you really want a true saltwater fly fishing experience there are probably better options.

If you haven't picked a place to stay yet I recommend checking out Playa Escondida! http://www.playa-escondida.com/home_mobile.html
It's about a 20-25 min hike from downtown Sayulita (or a cheap cab ride). Several types of rooms to choose from depending on your preference and budget. It's very quiet which we enjoyed, especially after reading several reviews of hotels actually in town that complained of hearing the music from the local night club until 4am every night.

hookedcook

Reaction score
I was there last year. It's hard from the beach. They run super cheap panga charters (250.00) on the south end of the beach. I hopped on a shared charter. Me and one other couple, I paid 80 bucks and caught about 20 roosterfish. They use live bait and slow troll. One the fish are hot I'm sure they eat the fly. Do it you wont regret it. It's not uncommon for these crappy little pangas to land Marlin, sailfish, yellowfin tuna, and dolphin if they venture offshore. Sayulita is cool, but crowded and polluted. Punta Mita a little south is a cool little town.

jschaffer

Reaction score
I was there last year. It's hard from the beach. They run super cheap panga charters (250.00) on the south end of the beach. I hopped on a shared charter. Me and one other couple, I paid 80 bucks and caught about 20 roosterfish. They use live bait and slow troll. One the fish are hot I'm sure they eat the fly. Do it you wont regret it. It's not uncommon for these crappy little pangas to land Marlin, sailfish, yellowfin tuna, and dolphin if they venture offshore. Sayulita is cool, but crowded and polluted. Punta Mita a little south is a cool little town.
I fished with panga captains a few times in MX and if you find a good one they can't be beat for the money, especially if you are fishing more inshore.

shaunsquid

Reaction score
Alright, looks like we are gonna be there at the end of October for Dia De Los Muertos.

Can anybody recommend a guide service? Do you think I will have a problem getting a loaner fly rod without getting wheeled and dealed? I am not above a traditional rig if that's what is working, just prefer a fly if I can.