Jackson Wyoming and Yellowstone area

iflytexas

Reaction score
Looking for travel advice on the Jackson Wyoming and Yellowstone area for the end of June. Wanting to book a guide for at least 1 day.

Anyone have any recommendations on guides, rivers or streams?

General travel recommendations on the Yellowstone area would also be appreciated. Thanks!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Generally June is spring runoff, but that all depends on the snow pack and how the temperatures go in the spring. A hot spring and you get a quick runoff, a cold spring and the runoff can last a bit longer. Hopefully, you will be there just at the end of the runoff.
For Yellowstone I like Blue Ribbon Flies (West Yellowstone) and Parks Fly Shop in Gardiner, MT, their both great fly shops.
Last year at the end of June we fished the Madison River for a week, primarily using caddis patterns and salmon flies. We primarily fished between the lakes and down river of Quake lake (Reynolds bridge and $3 bridge areas), but the Madison in the park was also fishing really well, as I remember. Just guessing with the snow pack we have at this point, I would expect the Firehole and Gibbon to fish well.
One thing I would recommend if your planning on doing any fishing on your own is getting on the Blue Ribbon Flies web site and sign up for their weekly newsletter. They will report what the local rivers are fishing like and what is working, so you will have a good idea on how to fish there.
You should also be keeping an eye on the USGS water data site, looking at the rivers of interest as you get closer to your trip, that way you will know the status of the spring runoff.
USGS Current Water Data for the Nation

For Jackson, I don't have any recommendations for fly shops or guides, maybe someone here with personal experience will chime in. For rivers you have the Snake, the Gros Ventre (north of Jackson, it crosses the highway), Pacific Creek (north of Moran Junction), the Hoback (south of Jackson) and Granite Creek (again south of Jackson).

flav

Reaction score
The Yellowstone and snake watersheds are currently at over 140% of normal snowpack for this time of year. If things keep up like this the runoff could last a long time. Luckily there are spring creeks, tailwaters, and lakes that can pick up the slack if the major river systems are running like chocolate milk.

Also keep in mind that some waters in Yellowstone don't open till July 15th.

chechem

Reaction score
The Firehole, Gibbon, and Madison in YNP will likely be too warm by the end of June. They certainly have been for the past 3 years. Of the 3, the Madison is a possibility then, but the others warm fast after June 15th.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
There are several good fly shops in Jackson. I don't have a specific guide recommendation, but Westbank Anglers and the Orvis shop have been around forever. I have booked guides and had good trips from both of them.

cameron1976

Reaction score
As was said, Jackson is full of fly shops. Honestly they are all pretty good, but High Country Flies and JD High Country Outfitters are two of my favorites.

Great fishing can be had in many streams in that area. When I fished that area I found I really enjoyed the Gros Ventre River. Not the biggest fish around, but the stream didn't seem to have as much pressure as some of the other streams in the area, at least when I fished it.

jbcissell

Reaction score
My buddy Paul Hoelscher guides in the area for Henry's Fork Anglers. He's a really fishy guy and really enjoyable to spend the day with. I think you'd be happy.

The Guides | Henry's Fork Anglers

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

skcwolfgang

Reaction score
I fished Yellowstone June 10-17 last year (2017). I spent most of my time on the firehole with great hatches of white Miller caddis and PMD’s. There were still salmon flies on the Madison in the park, and I caught a few nice fish. It was cold with a nice snow storm one day. I have always used Blue Ribbon Flies, and they have always done me right. I fish Yellowstone every year usually around the middle of June, and the conditions very greatly from year to year depending on runoff and weather. I went the exact same dates in 2016 and the fishing was much different.

chechem

Reaction score
I fished Yellowstone June 10-17 last year (2017). I spent most of my time on the firehole with great hatches of white Miller caddis and PMD’s. There were still salmon flies on the Madison in the park, and I caught a few nice fish. It was cold with a nice snow storm one day. I have always used Blue Ribbon Flies, and they have always done me right. I fish Yellowstone every year usually around the middle of June, and the conditions very greatly from year to year depending on runoff and weather. I went the exact same dates in 2016 and the fishing was much different.
Me too. And I'll be there on the Firehole and Madison this year during early June. See you there?

skcwolfgang

Reaction score
Those dates did not work out for me this year so I am going July 25-Aug 1. I hope to fish hoppers and try slough creek. I will miss the Firehole though, my favorite river.

chechem

Reaction score
Those dates did not work out for me this year so I am going July 25-Aug 1. I hope to fish hoppers and try slough creek. I will miss the Firehole though, my favorite river.
Well, you will enjoy Slough Creek then. And Soda Butte, Lamar, etc. All of the NE rivers should be good then. Enjoy!

buffler razz

Reaction score
The gang at Worldcast Anglers in Victor Idaho, just over the pass from Jackson, are great. Like most places in the area, most helpful with intel and area tips to visiting anglers. I know a few of their guides as well. Great folks.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
The gang at Worldcast Anglers in Victor Idaho, just over the pass from Jackson, are great. Like most places in the area, most helpful with intel and area tips to visiting anglers. I know a few of their guides as well. Great folks.
Razz: The wife and I went up to Jackson on Wed to attend the Fly Fishing Film Tour put on by Worldcast Anglers, it was pretty impressive. The best part is that they donate all the raffle money and beer/wine sales money to local charities involved with teaching kids fly fishing or doing something with stream restoration. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to recommend Worldcast Anglers!!!!

Monello

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I hiked back and fished Grebe lake. It is 1 of the few bodies of water in the park that has grayling. It's not moving water but the grayling seem to cooperate. There are also rainbows back in there.

It's a fairly easy hike back. Best to carry bear spray just in case.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I hiked back and fished Grebe lake. It is 1 of the few bodies of water in the park that has grayling. It's not moving water but the grayling seem to cooperate. There are also rainbows back in there.

It's a fairly easy hike back. Best to carry bear spray just in case.
I love to fish for grayling, Meadow lake about 10 miles south of Pinedale has grayling and it is a awesome place to fish, but the last quarter mile in is really rough, best to have a high clearance vehicle.

skcwolfgang

Reaction score
Cascade lake near canyon fishes well that time of year for grayling and Yellowstone cutthroat. I have fished it twice in the middle of June with callebaetis dry flies. It is about. A 3 mile hike, With bear spray. Grebe lake may be part of a westslope Trout restoration project, so check that out before you go.
This grayling was from cascade lake.
2025540E-E201-4659-B0F8-D4DC7A713B13.jpg

Reaction score
I spent several years living in Jackson and was lucky enough to fish the area extensively. Years back I knew a few guides from Worldcast and Westbank Anglers, if they have maintained their reputation then I would not hesitate to recommend either of them, however I'm sure any of the local guide services will provide a great outing... just be sure to let the guide know what your expectations are and they'll be able to take care of you better.

I spent most of my money at Orvis and High Country Flies for no reason other than I liked the vibe in both those shops. Once again there are plenty of options.

Snowpack is pretty high this year, so runoff may be a bit later... don't be afraid to explore the tribs as they tend to fish better earlier in the season.

I have to admit I'm a bit jealous... floating the Snake beneath the Tetons is an experience to be cherished.

Cheers, have a great trip!