Western Oregon

Cleep1700

Reaction score
Have an opportunity to go to Oregon in October for a week, flying in and out of Portland, and would like to spend a day with a guide on a river. I probably won’t ever get back that way again, so I don't mind a drive to make this happen within reason. What rivers and/or guide services/shops would you recommend? I just started this obsession about 6 years ago and have thrown flies in the Taylor, Arkansas, and South Platte in Colorado; the Buffalo and Little Red in Arkansas, and the Niangua, Little Niangua, and Lake Taneycomo in Missouri...some with guides and some on my own. So I know a little but now that I am retired I want to learn more and have never been west of Colorado. Any help and recommendations would be sincerely appreciated.
Craig

Last edited:

dillon

Reaction score
Sam Sickles | | Steelhead Outfitters

A jet boat trip up the Deschutes to swing flies for summer steelhead would be fun. Sam is the man for that. For walk and wade trout or Steelhead John Smeraglio, Deschutes Canyon Fly Shop, Maupin Or.

DYI walk wade searun cutthroat trout, tillamook area streams.

The above are in order of reccomendation

That is specific as I can get about my home water on an open forum...

Last edited:

flav

Reaction score
October is prime summer steelhead time, and the Deschutes is a great place to chase them. I agree with Dillon, a jet boat ride with Sam Sickles out of the Gorge Fly Shop would be awesome. To warn you, though, steelhead fly guides will want you to fish a two handed rod, even if you haven't fished one. They're good teachers, but if you'd rather not do it, tell them ahead of time and see if they're ok with it. A two hander is by far the best tool to cover the water and handle the wind, but an 8 weight SH rod can get it done if you're a decent caster.

Trout fishing is also great on the stretches around Maupin and Warm Springs. Not very many rainbows pull line like a Deschutes redside. A 16 inch fish can show you your backing in a hurry.

wjlapier

Reaction score
I might travel with my wife to Portland, Or next week. We live about 4hrs away. Any suggestions to fish a smaller stream around the Portland area?--you can send me a PM if you prefer. I read above about the steelhead on the Deschutes but I'd prefer not to use a guide and to stick around the Portland area--maybe go towards the coast? Wading also preferred.

Thanks!

weiliwen

Reaction score
The west side of the state is generally not great for trout - too much rain washes out rivers and keeps insect life down, but there are exceptions. Higher up the Clackamas there are some trout to be found. I suggest taking an hour and a half to the cost, fishing some northern coastal streams for sea run cuts and salmon - chinook and coho should be in full swing then.

Or, as several have already suggested, invest a little more time and hit the Deschutes, Crooked, or Metolius.

Or head into SW Washington. the North Fork Lewis above the last of three reservoirs has big rainbow and bull trout, and Merril Lake has cutts and browns.

flav

Reaction score
If you want smaller streams and wild trout closer to PDX the best options are the coast range and the streams up in the cascades. I've never been too much a fan of the coast, the streams are often tough to fish in the rain forest, but searun cutts are a fun if you can find them. When I lived in PDX I often fished the upper Clackamas or upper Sandy tribs in the fall, the trout are small, but they're mostly wild.
Wherever you go don't leave gear visible in your rig, even far up in the national forest.

wjlapier

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I know nothing of the Clackamas and have never fished anywhere around Portland, but many years of driving to Cannon Beach and looking at the river alongside the road I wonder about fishing that area. I might check out the upper Clackamas, but a day trip to Cannon Beach might be in order and while I'm on my own I can stop to fish.

weiliwen

Reaction score
...many years of driving to Cannon Beach and looking at the river alongside the road I wonder about fishing that area...
That's the Necanicum River. Closer to Seaside and up to the junction of Hwy 53 there might be some sea run cutts, and almost certainly some salmon.

I also suggest both forks of the Nehalem. My folks had a place in tidewater for many years and I caught some dandy cutts there. North Fork, fish upriver of the fish hatchery. South Fork, go up the road toward Elsie, which parallels the river the whole way. A word of warning - that road may not go all the way up any more; the bridge across the Salmonberry River, a major tributary, was closed some time ago, and I don't know if it was ever repaired.

I doubt you're going to get any trophies in any of those places, but the fish can be found. Any fly with orange and/or yellow will do the trick, as well as muddlers and Spruce flies.

dillon

Reaction score
the north coast rivers are probably still pretty low. So, most salmon and sea run trout are still in tidewater waiting for rain to bring the rivers up. Tidewater fishing can be productive. There may also be some sea run trout in the upper sections of the rivers mentioned above that entered in the spring or summer. Maybe even a few steelhead around. A nice drive is to take hwy 26 to Cannon then 101 to Tillamook and drive back to Portland on the Wilson River Hwy. You could check out the rivers mentioned as well as the Wilson which has summer steelhead and cutts. There is also a lake along 101 in Rockaway that probably has stocker trout. One can also surf cast with streamers into the breakers for red tail perch. They feed in pretty close on an incoming tide. Lots of good places for lunch along the way. My favorite is a Hawaiian joint in Tillamook. I forget the name but a search would reveal it. Have fun and pm me if you have any questions. I might go fishing close to Portland for sm bass in the next few days that I'd be happy to tell you about.

scoutm

Reaction score
What Dillon said...rivers low but lots of fish in tidewater. These were taken on the incoming tide this past weekend. Not fly fishing but fun none the less. Seemed to be a lot more Jacks than what I've seen in the past.

Attachments