Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Western Oregon

Default Western Oregon

Have an opportunity to go to Oregon in October for a week, flying in and out of Portland, and would like to spend a day with a guide on a river. I probably won’t ever get back that way again, so I don't mind a drive to make this happen within reason. What rivers and/or guide services/shops would you recommend? I just started this obsession about 6 years ago and have thrown flies in the Taylor, Arkansas, and South Platte in Colorado; the Buffalo and Little Red in Arkansas, and the Niangua, Little Niangua, and Lake Taneycomo in Missouri...some with guides and some on my own. So I know a little but now that I am retired I want to learn more and have never been west of Colorado. Any help and recommendations would be sincerely appreciated.
    Craig
    Last edited by Cleep1700; 03-12-2018 at 03:54 PM. Reason: add more information

Default Re: Western Oregon

Sam Sickles | | Steelhead Outfitters

A jet boat trip up the Deschutes to swing flies for summer steelhead would be fun. Sam is the man for that. For walk and wade trout or Steelhead John Smeraglio, Deschutes Canyon Fly Shop, Maupin Or.

DYI walk wade searun cutthroat trout, tillamook area streams.

The above are in order of reccomendation

That is specific as I can get about my home water on an open forum...
    Last edited by dillon; 03-14-2018 at 08:27 AM.

3. Likes mcnerney, timmah liked this post

October is prime summer steelhead time, and the Deschutes is a great place to chase them. I agree with Dillon, a jet boat ride with Sam Sickles out of the Gorge Fly Shop would be awesome. To warn you, though, steelhead fly guides will want you to fish a two handed rod, even if you haven't fished one. They're good teachers, but if you'd rather not do it, tell them ahead of time and see if they're ok with it. A two hander is by far the best tool to cover the water and handle the wind, but an 8 weight SH rod can get it done if you're a decent caster.

Trout fishing is also great on the stretches around Maupin and Warm Springs. Not very many rainbows pull line like a Deschutes redside. A 16 inch fish can show you your backing in a hurry.

5. Likes mcnerney, fredaevans liked this post

dreamsonthefly@gmail.com or (208)-861-2853
    The current owner/head guide, Andrew Catt, is a chef at a four star restaurant in Boise in the off season; Try for an overnighter.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey