Pittsburg NH access

Billwnh

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum and looking forward to learning from all the experts here !

I was curious to get some information from any folks familiar with the Pittsburg NH area. I have spent a lot of time up there snowmobiling, but never fly fishing and I am interested in fishing some of the more remote streams and maybe ponds but I'm not sure what access is like > Many of the snowmobile trails are straight, flat, and as wide as a two lane road but I'm not sure what is open in the summer to drive on with a truck or ATV(have both) ? There are gates scattered around on the trails but I don't know if they are closed in the summer restricting wheeled access.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated !

Thx

Bill

Rip Tide

Reaction score
> Many of the snowmobile trails are straight, flat, and as wide as a two lane road but I'm not sure what is open in the summer to drive on with a truck or ATV(have both) ? There are gates scattered around on the trails but I don't know if they are closed in the summer restricting wheeled access.
I think that you'll find that even if those snowmobile trails aren't gated, they're going to be impassable anyway.
Once the snow is melted they're all seeps swamps and rocks. Moose muck.
At least that's what I've seen just east of there in the Rangely area of Maine.
Where we go, the DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer is the bible when it comes to finding your way around on the logging roads,
And you want a recent one too as they get updated annually
The Gazetter will show you where the gates are. Expect lots of them.
That doen't mean that you can't fish behind the gates. Only that you'll have to walk.

Here's a snowmoblie bridge of that same trail system, only a mile or two from the NH state line. ;)

IMGP0278.jpg

Last edited:

colonelklinkhammer

Reaction score
I think if you get away from the fly fishing only section and below lake Francis a ways you’ll be all alone. I fished down rt 3 above Indian brook a couple days and had the entire river to myself never saw anyone. Beautiful area, hoping to have a camp there or in colebrook sometime soon