Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Anyone flown United with gear lately?

Thanks for the input everyone. Found a "once-used" Fishpond Dakota bag on Craigslist today for a decent price so I plan on taking that and leaving some extra time just in case I get required to check it either way, as suggested.
    Life is like a box of chocolates...and a river runs through it. Or something like that.

2. Default Re: Anyone flown United with gear lately?

I flew United from Tampa to Great Falls last year in September. I had a carry-on camera bag and my fly rod/reel case, along with my checked luggage. I had no problems ref traveling with the fly gear. For reasons I won't get into here, I won't fly United again, and although I had a round trip ticket, I booked a one-way flight back on Delta.

3. Thanks tx_newb thanked for this post

I fly an average of 80k miles a year with United, both domestic and international. Some of the stuff I see passengers try to pull is amazing. I have NEVER had a bad experience on a United flight that I felt was the carrier's fault. I have had flights cancelled, flights delayed, and have been hit for an occasional overweight or extra bag charge but generally knew it was coming.. I have traveled with firearms and fishing gear alot. I flew to Hawaii enroute to CXI last November with my Abel rod carrier as a carry on along with my Abel bag and had no issues. I carry the same Abel tube with me on business trips to places like Italy and Spain when I have an opportunity to maybe sneak in a day of fishing and have never had United give me any trouble.

I have started to check my rods more often though - now, before everyone freaks out: These are all 4 piece rods and I use Pelican luggage: BA30 Vacationer | Pelican 10ft 4 piece rods fit diagonally in the BA30 and it is flat out indestructible. I would say the only thing you have to watch is the 50lb limit.

Once last caveat - I have definitely found that you encounter fewer issues when flying business class, but I think that is all airlines...

I am a million mile customer with United. Over the past 15 years I have carried fly rods, reels, and a fly shop worth of flies on United flights multiple times each year (think 4-6 round trips per year). Always carry-on, always in either Orvis or Fishpond rod/reel carry-on cases. Never, ever had an issue either with TSA or United.

6. Likes smp005 liked this post

Just returned from the trip. Ended up picking up a Fishpond Dakota carry-on bag before the trip. Carried on both ways without so much as a questioning glance from the United agents.
    Life is like a box of chocolates...and a river runs through it. Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MBWCC View Post
    I am a million mile customer with United. Over the past 15 years I have carried fly rods, reels, and a fly shop worth of flies on United flights multiple times each year (think 4-6 round trips per year). Always carry-on, always in either Orvis or Fishpond rod/reel carry-on cases. Never, ever had an issue either with TSA or United.
    I have on occasion had a TSA agent give me "The Look" over fly boxes but have never been denied. I have never tried to carry on my 6/0 Brush flies though LOL!

I have heard stories of issues departing the UK with reels that have line on them but have never experienced it myself. Glad to hear all the positive notes on the rod/reel carry cases - I've been thinking about buying one myself. Technically they exceed the carry on specs for most airlines but they are pretty innocuous..

It has been my experience that many of the situations that arise between the TSA and or Carrier and passengers are usually initiated by the passengers... Let's face it folks - it's not the city bus!!

9. Default Re: Anyone flown United with gear lately?

I fly from Philadelphia to Bozeman or Idaho falls and back twice a year, and have carried on my Orvis safe passage carry all on every flight without any problems. I am flying American Airlines for the first time for my late June/early July trip this year as well as my October trip due to receiving an AA gift card. For those who typically fly AA, have you had any problems carrying rod cases on? Mine is the 31" model. No way I want my sticks and reels being in checked bags unless i'm forced to.

10. Default Re: Anyone flown United with gear lately?

Quote Originally Posted by englishsetter View Post
    I fly from Philadelphia to Bozeman or Idaho falls and back twice a year, and have carried on my Orvis safe passage carry all on every flight without any problems. I am flying American Airlines for the first time for my late June/early July trip this year as well as my October trip due to receiving an AA gift card. For those who typically fly AA, have you had any problems carrying rod cases on? Mine is the 31" model. No way I want my sticks and reels being in checked bags unless i'm forced to.
    I flew American back from Salt Lake City a year ago and carried on my Simms Double Rod case with no issues or questions.

11. Default Re: Anyone flown United with gear lately?

Side note: It is not always about particular Airlines.
    Flew to Cancun twice this year on American or United, or both- do not remember. No problems with carry on 4 piece 9' rods.

BUY I flew to Cabos, Baja on Alaska and although I had no problem with flying to Cabo, on the way back form Cabo I was forced to remove form carry on and check in my 5 piece fly rods. I learnt/was told, that there is no flying with ANY fishing rod on Baja. It is Baja state regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by smp005 View Post
    Once last caveat - I have definitely found that you encounter fewer issues when flying business class, but I think that is all airlines...
    You mean they actually have seats in the back of the planes??
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12