Anyone flown United with gear lately?

Matt4.0

Reaction score
I've read through a couple related threads but was curious if anyone has tried carrying on fly gear on United specifically after reading this article:

Yellow Dog Travel Tips | United Airlines Baggage Restrictions

Flying into Cancun in a couple weeks and had planned on just carrying a backpack with my rod strapped to it but it sounds like United may less friendly than other airlines in this regard.

duker

Reaction score
I think you'll be fine, so long as your rod and pack fit into either the overhead bin or under your seat. I flew United from Calgary to Belize a number of times, always with a carry on bag (with my reel) plus a homemade rod tube with three rods in it and they were fine.

My wife and I were in Tulum the first two weeks of March and we flew into Cancun. I had the same carry on and rod tube, although this time we flew Westjet. Again, no problems. You'll see a lot of people carrying rod tubes in the Cancun airport.

You can always check with United in advance just to be sure.

Scott

rangerrich99

Reaction score
I think your gear should be fine. Just don't try to bring your emotional support peacock and everything will probably work out great.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Thanks Duker and rangerrich, that's pretty much what I was thinking. Suppose at the end of the day if I catch a gate/flight attendant who wants to feel important I can probably gate check it. We'll of course allow for some extra time just in case.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
I think your gear should be fine. Just don't try to bring your emotional support peacock and everything will probably work out great.
Emotional support peocock, I like it! Train it to raise its feathers when someone says something offensive or political incorrect! lol.

jayr

Reaction score
The one thing that can throw a wrench into the carry on issue is the smaller jets that a lot of airports have, specifically the CRJ jets. Their overhead bins are smaller and fewer.

bonefish41

Reaction score
I fly with fly rods and reels on board. Delta, American/US Air, Southwest...one time last July United Express Fort Lauderdale to Newark. On Saab Turbo Props eg Silver Airlines gate check rods out of Key West or Fort Lauderdale. I carry on an old Abel Hold Everything Bag...since it's soft it can be pushed completely under the seat and the Orvis rod case is 31X9X5 fits in all overheads save Saab Turbo Prop and it's the size of a violin case. I never carryon any kind of the usual OEM Fly rod tubes and definitely not aluminum. The Orvis/Fish Pond cases look like luggage/musical instrument case and you can stuff clothes around the rods for additional protection. I do not check anything on my flyfishing trips which last 6 days ...US and Bahamian Security have never required that I check anything and none of the gate agents(except Silver Turbo Props) for the airlines have requested that I check the rod case...though once or twice I have been asked "is that a violin...my response is it's a violin case but I have clothes and a couple of fly rods in it...not a violin....but that's a rare exception to welcome on board...to which I respond with a smile this old, fat man is going fishing...Gate Tip don't try to get on before your section/seat is called...I have seen a couple of gate responses when the sneak was caught, the gate person checked his/her carryon sizes in the size box...Seat Tip with gear carryon...if you're flying cheap as I do...select free seat in the back of the plane usually I'm assigned the 4th or 5th zone so go to the back nobody likes that part and plenty of overhead room...as for Southwest with just zones/seats A,B,C,D...get to the back while all struggle to sit up front and jam the overheads...I'm three or four rows from the back with vacant overheads and an isle seat...

moucheur2003

Reaction score
And although they require you to pay to check your gear rather than carry it on, and severely limit how much you can even bring with you, "United is not liable for damage to fishing equipment. Excess valuation may not be purchased for fishing equipment."

YouTube

tomilg

Reaction score
I think the problem is not the airline, it's going to be the TSA/Airport Security Agent manning the X-Ray Machine. From the airline's standpoint, if it fits their guidelines, your good to go, and with a flyrod tube, it's usually skinny enough to fit into a crowded overhead bin.

As an example, I just returned from a trip to Nicaragua. I flew out of Cancun and my carry-on's consisted of my Sage Flyrod tube an Orvis Safe Passage sling pack which held all my line, forceps, reels, flies, and line/leader/tippet. Cancun was no problem, but we connected through Panama City. Panama. Again through Security, but this time I get stopped, bag searched, and almost nothing in my bag was allowed, so I got sent back to ticketing and checked my bag.

On the return trip, I carried on the rod tube, but packed everything else in my checked bag and all was well.

So, my lesson was this, if you intend to carry on "questionable items", ie, flies, line, forceps, you'll most likely get through Security without issue, but in the event you don't, at least allow yourself enough time to get back to ticketing, checked your items, and get back through Security.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I think the problem is not the airline, it's going to be the TSA/Airport Security Agent manning the X-Ray Machine. From the airline's standpoint, if it fits their guidelines, your good to go, and with a flyrod tube, it's usually skinny enough to fit into a crowded overhead bin.
No, in this case it appears the ariline's rules are more restrictive than the TSA's.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. Found a "once-used" Fishpond Dakota bag on Craigslist today for a decent price so I plan on taking that and leaving some extra time just in case I get required to check it either way, as suggested.

del gue

Reaction score
I flew United from Tampa to Great Falls last year in September. I had a carry-on camera bag and my fly rod/reel case, along with my checked luggage. I had no problems ref traveling with the fly gear. For reasons I won't get into here, I won't fly United again, and although I had a round trip ticket, I booked a one-way flight back on Delta.

smp005

Reaction score
I fly an average of 80k miles a year with United, both domestic and international. Some of the stuff I see passengers try to pull is amazing. I have NEVER had a bad experience on a United flight that I felt was the carrier's fault. I have had flights cancelled, flights delayed, and have been hit for an occasional overweight or extra bag charge but generally knew it was coming.. I have traveled with firearms and fishing gear alot. I flew to Hawaii enroute to CXI last November with my Abel rod carrier as a carry on along with my Abel bag and had no issues. I carry the same Abel tube with me on business trips to places like Italy and Spain when I have an opportunity to maybe sneak in a day of fishing and have never had United give me any trouble.

I have started to check my rods more often though - now, before everyone freaks out: These are all 4 piece rods and I use Pelican luggage: BA30 Vacationer | Pelican 10ft 4 piece rods fit diagonally in the BA30 and it is flat out indestructible. I would say the only thing you have to watch is the 50lb limit.

Once last caveat - I have definitely found that you encounter fewer issues when flying business class, but I think that is all airlines...

MBWCC

Reaction score
I am a million mile customer with United. Over the past 15 years I have carried fly rods, reels, and a fly shop worth of flies on United flights multiple times each year (think 4-6 round trips per year). Always carry-on, always in either Orvis or Fishpond rod/reel carry-on cases. Never, ever had an issue either with TSA or United.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Just returned from the trip. Ended up picking up a Fishpond Dakota carry-on bag before the trip. Carried on both ways without so much as a questioning glance from the United agents.

smp005

Reaction score
I am a million mile customer with United. Over the past 15 years I have carried fly rods, reels, and a fly shop worth of flies on United flights multiple times each year (think 4-6 round trips per year). Always carry-on, always in either Orvis or Fishpond rod/reel carry-on cases. Never, ever had an issue either with TSA or United.
I have on occasion had a TSA agent give me "The Look" over fly boxes but have never been denied. I have never tried to carry on my 6/0 Brush flies though LOL!

I have heard stories of issues departing the UK with reels that have line on them but have never experienced it myself. Glad to hear all the positive notes on the rod/reel carry cases - I've been thinking about buying one myself. Technically they exceed the carry on specs for most airlines but they are pretty innocuous..

It has been my experience that many of the situations that arise between the TSA and or Carrier and passengers are usually initiated by the passengers... Let's face it folks - it's not the city bus!!

englishsetter

Reaction score
I fly from Philadelphia to Bozeman or Idaho falls and back twice a year, and have carried on my Orvis safe passage carry all on every flight without any problems. I am flying American Airlines for the first time for my late June/early July trip this year as well as my October trip due to receiving an AA gift card. For those who typically fly AA, have you had any problems carrying rod cases on? Mine is the 31" model. No way I want my sticks and reels being in checked bags unless i'm forced to.

mizuno

Reaction score
I fly from Philadelphia to Bozeman or Idaho falls and back twice a year, and have carried on my Orvis safe passage carry all on every flight without any problems. I am flying American Airlines for the first time for my late June/early July trip this year as well as my October trip due to receiving an AA gift card. For those who typically fly AA, have you had any problems carrying rod cases on? Mine is the 31" model. No way I want my sticks and reels being in checked bags unless i'm forced to.
I flew American back from Salt Lake City a year ago and carried on my Simms Double Rod case with no issues or questions.

gormaci

Reaction score
Side note: It is not always about particular Airlines.
Flew to Cancun twice this year on American or United, or both- do not remember. No problems with carry on 4 piece 9' rods.

BUY I flew to Cabos, Baja on Alaska and although I had no problem with flying to Cabo, on the way back form Cabo I was forced to remove form carry on and check in my 5 piece fly rods. I learnt/was told, that there is no flying with ANY fishing rod on Baja. It is Baja state regulation.