Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
  1. Default White River Stone County area

Ill be headed to Arkansas mid July and was wondering if anyone has any helpful info.

One thing Id like to know if if a float tube would be safe if the flow is slow enough on the White and another would be what type of patterns would be a good bet to tie up before I go.

We will be near the Sylamore creek confluence if that helps any. I cant seem to find fishing reports or info for that part of the river.

Default Re: White River Stone County area

I can't really give you any info on the White that far down, but I would for sure do some smallie fishing in Sylamore Creek. Been a long time since I've been to Sylamore but I've got a buddy in Central Arkansas that fishes it for smallmouth several times a year. He is mostly throwing conventional gear though. It's a beautiful part over the state over there and a really beautiful creek.
    http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=23427&dateline=140259  3853

3. Likes mudduck liked this post

The White is a pretty big river, that far below the dams, I have fished that area quite a bit in the past. Never seen anyone in a float tube on that river. Sow bugs, pheasant tail nymphs, both beadheads or weighted heavily, the current is strong . Lot of people like sanjaun worms and egg pattern. Hopper bight will be starting in July. The white is on an upswing, lot of fish and good quality fish. Here's a link to Jacks Resort, it's very near Sylamore, just a few miles upstream
    Jack's Fishing Resort
    Good luck, Bill
    Too old to wear a flat bill hat

5. Likes mudduck liked this post
  6. Default Re: White River Stone County area

Ah, good to know. Leaving the tube at home will make more space in the truck anyway. We are staying about two miles away from Jacks resort, is it a good bet for browns and rainbows that far down the river in July, or is it more smallie/crappipe type water down there this time of year?

I've only have caught trout in the white in that area, but I was targeting trout , I've heard of some smallies being caught but can't give any info about that , but the feeder creeks and streams flowing into it has a variety of fish
    Too old to wear a flat bill hat

I’ve fished the White on a handful of occasions, the Little Red was always my home waters, but the White in and around Cotter Springs is extremely productive. Fished an olive woolybugger with a red ass dropper and had great luck. Watch for when they start generating as the water rises quickly. I nearly got caught myself as I was focused on the fishing. Mountain Home is a great place to headquarter at if you’re looking for a place to stay.

If you’re going to be focused on the Sylamore area you need to make your way to Blanchard Springs. They have an amazing cave system up there that is a blast to visit. They also have Mirror Lake which is full of large rainbows. It’s a gorgeous area and if you’re looking to escape the heat then Blanchard Springs caverns is a great place to spend a few hours. Plus, the town of Mountain View is a really cool place to visit. Neat downtown area with a focus on folk music.

Enjoy your time on the White and in some of the most beautiful country I’ve ever been to. Tight Lines!

9. Likes markg52, myster liked this post

That's hopper season. Hit the banks. But it's a big river best fished from a boat in my experience. If wading - the Norfolk 45 min away is much more user friendly. Any flow below Bull Shoals above 1,000 CFS is tough to wade fish in my experience. A float tube puts you at the mercy of the speed of the flow - tough deal unless it's below 1,000.