Marathon Key or Sanibel?

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
December or March (haven't decided yet). Family trip with our young adult kids, not just fishing: kayaking, snorkeling, lying on the beach, etc. Where should we go? (Have been to Marathon years go but didn't fish.)

bobtheflounder

Reaction score
If its not just fishing I would definitely go to Marathon over Sanibel. Also for fishing do you plan to go with a guide or DIY?

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Probably just diy. It is a family trip and sneak in a little fishing (the kids sleep until the crack of noon on vacation, and I am usually up before 6 so that is my fishing time). Everyone did like the Keys when we were there before.

clsmith131

Reaction score
I've never been to Marathon, but I've been to Sannibel, and we caught countless snook. What a blast! My dad did step on a stingray, which put a damper on the whole trip. While I enjoyed the snook, if I had to choose between Marathon or Sannibel, it would have to be Marathon. The water clarity in Sannibel is not good.

r_brian

Reaction score
Just read an article today about Sanibel and the whole SW FL coast. They are having a major red tide outbreak. Been going on since last October. More Loggerhead turtles have died in June than usually all year.

And remember, the Keys are still recovering from the hurricane last summer.

Last edited:

brownbass

Reaction score
I have been to the Keys and to Marco Island (just south of Sanibel) I have fished the Everglades from the Keys and from Marco and did better from Marco than from the Keys. It depends on when you actually go If December the Keys would be my choice. My fishing in March and April in both areas have been not been very successful even with guides. Cold fronts rolling thru every couple of days slowed everything down. I understan that access may be better in the keys but you can fish from the beaches in both areas.

Bill

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips. My wife is leaning toward Marathon (we had fun there before) so that will probably be it (though now I am thinking again about a return visit to Cozumel or Costa Rica, though finances will probably rule those out).

fishgolf

Reaction score
Marathon would get my vote. I stayed with Black Ghost Outfitters (no longer there) about 15 years ago and that area is target rich and has plenty of DIY areas. Sanibel is more picturesque however - IMHO.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Yes, I have been doing some research and I think we are pretty much settled on Marathon. (Another place I have been looking at is Aruba; we had our honeymoon there 35 years ago, and I would love to go back. But for a group of six that I will be paying for, that is a little pricey right now.)

By the way, I think I mentioned that I have been to the Keys before, though we didn't do any fishing. But I did see one of the funniest fishing related sights. Standing on the shore just off the road were three "fishermen": a man with a fishing rod, and about six feet to his left another man with a fishing rod, and about six feet to his left a heron. The heron was just standing there looking at the water, just like the two guys, and for all the world they looked like three fishing buddies. I think the thing that really made the image was the symmetry of spacing between them. I wish I had taken a photograph.

bonefish41

Reaction score
Six "adults" with luggage wow that's a logistics nightmare. Can you transport all and luggage in a big SUV or a maxi, mini van. December either place could be cool...March is spring break time and zoo parade...however, breakers tend to favor Key West so perhaps check out a big vrbo rental in the Marathon area with three bathrooms...cheapest fly is to Fort Lauderdale then drive down...where did you stay in Marathon before?? I have fished Keys for 30 plus years mainly Key West and usually fly to KW but every other time I'll rent a car in either Lauderdale or Miami whichever,provides lowest RT and make the drive down the Keys...it's special, funky, and nostalgic... Since you are considering Mexico...let me suggest the Van Wormer Resorts on the East Cape of the Baja in March...fly into Cabo and their shuttle up to Los Barriles about an hour ride... I've been going there for 10 years for Blue water fishing...Sea of Cortez most of the time in the Spring and Summer is like a calm lake .... crunch the numbers google their site...it is very well run...there's plenty to do...walk into town... it is small town Mexico neat and efficient...big grocery store that has real Cuban rum as well as everything else

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Six "adults" with luggage wow that's a logistics nightmare. Can you transport all and luggage in a big SUV or a maxi, mini van.
Yeah, it is something we have done pretty much every year for many years, though it has mostly been just five of us (before there was a significant other in the equation). I have changed babies' diapers in more airports than I can count. And every four years we do a really big trip with my siblings and all their families (up to 16 or so people total). It is a lot of fun, I have a fantastic family.

Since you bring up the vehicle issue, I am going to free associate on rental vehicle I have known. Feel free to stop reading if you want, no hard feelings (I may have posted these stories before), this is mostly for my own nostalgia; writing things down brings back great vivid memories...

On one trip to Cozumel with six of us, I called a rental company ahead of time to reserve a van, When we arrived at the airport there was a guy holding a card with my name on it, and he led us out to the parking lot where we beheld...yes, a van, but not your typical soccer mom vehicle. This was like a commercial panel van, with big rust holes in it, and a broken passenger door handle (you had to reach in through the window and open the door from inside). I said "Ya know, I think I will pass on this; there are about 20 guys in the terminal over there hawking rental cars..." The man replied, "Please, wait right here" and drove off. Of course standing in the heat, after a long flight, my wife is giving me those visual daggers, when up he drives in a brand new Toyota Sienna, with all the bells and whistles (even a fold-down TV screen for the passengers in back). I said, "Yeah, this is more what I had in mind." I still get emails from that guy promising me a great deal on a great car when I return. (On another visit to Coz, just my wife and me, we didn't get a car but rented bicycles. That is really all you need there.)

In Rome at the rental counter signing up for a mid-size, I asked the rep if the car had a GPS unit. She looked at me, thought for a moment, and said "I will give you an upgrade." She handed me the key which had a parking slot number on the fob, and we went out and beheld...a big shiny silver Jaguar sedan. It was diesel (I think the first diesel I had driven other than military vehicles) with a six speed manual, but no diesel noise or smell, great mileage, room for the five of us and great performance on the Autostrada (though a pretty tight squeeze on the winding roads in the Cinque Terra). I think that is the best rental car I have ever had.

If you are in Costa Rica, make sure to set the GPS to "paved roads only." In a Hyundai Santa Fe, we found ourselves on a mountain bike trail - literally: we met some incredulous guys on mountain bikes going the other way, One who spoke English said "You can't get through here in a car!" But there was a cliff rising up on our left and a cliff falling away on our right, no way to turn around, so there was nothing for it but to press on. My wife was in tears with her face in her hands, my kids were in back saying, "Wow, this is cool!" as we went up and down this hilly dirt track. Well, the fact that we arrived at our destination on time and unscathed would be great marketing material for Hyundai; I would buy one of those in a heartbeat if I needed a small SUV.

In Dominica I rented a small SUV (I think a Rav4 or something, but it seemed a lot smaller than the ones here in the US, maybe my imagination; anyway, very cramped for the five of us). In Dominica, I learned that it is polite to offer a ride to people who are walking (my education about that is a story in itself) so I did, though people had to ride in the little storage area in the way-back. No one minded, included this one young Rasta guy who kept us entertained with his huge boombox.

In Spain I rented a minivan; I can't remember the brand (it is one not sold in the US) and expected something like a typical soccer mom van. And it was, a very nice clean newish vehicle. But when we got in and I turned to talk to my wife, she was a lot closer to me than when we are in our Sienna. It was kind of like a 3/4 scale model of a Sienna. Still a nice car and suited the five of us well. By contrast in South Africa I rented a van, I think a Mitsubishi, for the four of us who went there and our two friends who live there. It was huge, it could be used for a tour group. One day I took eight people out for the day and there were two empty seats, That was good vehicle.

Not exactly a rental car, but a travel vehicle story. One time in Cozumel my wife and I went bonefishing. We got picked up by a guy in a nice pickup who drove us to a parking area to meet our guide (his son). The son's vehicle was an old van of indeterminate make and model; the rust obscured any identifying characteristics. Given the state of the vehicle and the fact that all the windows were open, my wife thought it was odd that our guide pulled out a key and unlocked the door. The interior had at some point been stripped of all the soft stuff inside (headliner and whatever it is called) so if you had an interest in the skeletal structure of a vehicle it was a good study model. The back seat was a wooden crate. We bounced down this long rutted dirt road to the dock and got on a boat out to the flats. Now this guy may not have a great car, but he knew where the fish were; there were tailing bonefish everywhere. The fact that I didn't land any (I hooked a few) reflects not on him but only on my skill, or lack thereof. Anyway, on our way back in his van we were going through a trench about mid-shin deep in water when a front axle broke. We waited for a while for assistance, watching vultures landing in a nearby tree (I kid you not) and eventually, his dad showed up. The dad's client was a Czech guy who was there for the Triathlon World Championships (as was my brother-in-law, who we went to cheer for); the Czech guy was a really avid fly fisherman, and he told me some great stories about fishing in Europe and Mongolia.

As I reflect, it is kind of a funny thing: for all the traveling I have done, the best stories come out of things going wrong. And at least once on every trip, I find myself turning to my wife and saying, "I really am Clark Griswold."

bonefish41

Reaction score
My logistics nightmares were with cronies not family save one trip to Andros where one daughter forgot passport and front luggage door popped open on landing Fresh Creek...a old very old Aztec and ejected some baggage ... hit brakes I jumped out on the runway... grabbed bag...got back in proceeded to check in with difficulty... asked pilot what was the rush he said there was a USCG C-130 in pattern...for AUTEC base...no question in my mind you all need the East Cape small town Baja Sur...in March or rustic old timey Keys Grassy Key both floors of the Octagon at Rainbow Bend "Resort" they have your kind of boats to rent for fishing ...antique original 15 foot Whalers...they work and just anchor off southwest Tom's Harbor Channel on a white spot and wait for the Tarpon parade...
BTW Clark how many 308 GTSs with Christie look a likes did you pass or perhaps find yourself in pool with a look a like...:)