NorCal in October

possiebugger

Reaction score
so I'm visiting my brother in San Francisco in October, and now I'm thinking about adding a few days to the trip to do some fishing. I could rent a car in SF and would be willing to travel a few hours to get into something good.

I'd even be willing and curious to get up into southern Oregon, maybe even as far north as Eugene, as I used to live there and would be excited just to visit again.

I'd prefer to go for steelhead, though other sea-run fish/good trout action/something else would certainly be considered. Ideally I'd like to fish with a guide for a day, pick his/her brain, then get out on my own for a couple more days sorta route.

whaddya got?

dude02

Reaction score
The Trinity River west of Redding in the Douglas City and Junction City areas should be good for steelhead in October. If the damn fires are out by then. The Fly Shop in Redding can hook you up with a guide. Lots of walk in spots. Swing water, nymph water, and maybe skating October Caddis dries if the weather is decent.

If it is late October, the Upper Sac could be good with October Caddis dries for trout. It will be good for nymphing for sure. Literally miles of access here and on the way to southern Oregon. Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir can hook you up. Good, small local brewery across the street too.

Both of these are essentially roadside fisheries with easy access.

pfetz

Reaction score
The Trinity River west of Redding in the Douglas City and Junction City areas should be good for steelhead in October. If the damn fires are out by then. The Fly Shop in Redding can hook you up with a guide. Lots of walk in spots. Swing water, nymph water, and maybe skating October Caddis dries if the weather is decent.

If it is late October, the Upper Sac could be good with October Caddis dries for trout. It will be good for nymphing for sure. Literally miles of access here and on the way to southern Oregon. Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir can hook you up. Good, small local brewery across the street too.

Both of these are essentially roadside fisheries with easy access.
Good advice here. Also, the Lower Sac in a drift boat would also be good - maybe end of the salmon egg bite?

flav

Reaction score
If you're interested in steelhead, the trinity/klamath system is probably your best bet in norcal. If you want to drive up into oregon I'd stick with the middle or upper Rogue or the N Umpqua. Returns are pretty low again this year, but fish are there and all it takes is one hot fish to make your trip.